Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered-sold my 2007 SLK280
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The MB recommendation for tyres for the front on 17" rims is 225/45 91W, from my Owners Manual.

However, as the same size/speed/load tyre covers the SLK 200, 280 and 350, is there any benefit to going to 94W, bearing in mind that the V6's are at least 50Kg heavier than the IL4's at the front end ?, or is the 91W underloaded when on a 200 ?

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,237 Posts
91W can take 615 kg 94W 670 kg.
I think a LI of 91 is more than enough for your 280, whole car wheights something like 1450 kg I believe.
I can't seen any benefit in going to 94, I think MB choose a LI that suits the whole range.
No disadvantage going to 94 either I think, other than that they are fraction more expensive.
Too be honest I never take the LI in account when searching for a tyre, in that size I never came across one that has a LI lower than 91.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
I agree with Pete; it won't make much difference. Unless you are carrying multiple 25kg bags of sand home from the builder's supply store, stuffed wherever they fit in your SLK, you'll never exceed the GVWR or the individual tire ratings. Two people plus luggage plus other detritus like cleaning supplies and snacks won't even come close. So I wouldn't spend extra for the load rating. Depending on your driving preferences, spending extra for stickier tires with more grip might be worth the cost to upgrade, but that's definitely a personal choice. My 280 is lightly optioned, and is probably close to the 1450kg weight that Pete listed...the brochure in the USA lists curb weight at 3210 pounds; the metric conversion comes to 1460kg.

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the pointers.

In fact the difference between the 94 and 91 LI on the tyres I was looking at was only a £1 or 2, hence I thought that if there was a worthwhile benefit it would be a cheap one :grin:.

However, if there's no real benefit, then another good idea binned 0:)

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
I would speculate that the higher the load rating, the stronger the tire carcass and the stiffer the sidewalls are...maybe not by much, but there have to be some structural changes to the tire to allow for a higher weight rating. A stiffer sidewall will improve steering sharpness and also decrease ride quality, if those happen to be considerations. The changes will be really subtle, and perhaps not even noticed, but worth mentioning if only for reasons of obscure technical education.

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that's another reason why I asked as it could have been a benefit or a step backwards. I guess until you know which tyres your going to use its a difficult call and if its the wrong call you've got a few 000 miles before changing again.

On that theme, and considering my driving abilities, I was thinking of either the Avon XV5, or Uniroyal Rainsport 3's.

Views ?

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
134 Posts
I too would be very interested to hear recommendations for tyres. I'm due a new set when the car goes back on the road in April as the fronts are 10 years old. The rears may also need changing. I'm not worried about tyre wear rates as I don't do much mileage and don't even use it in the winter.

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG
1,569 Posts
I too would be very interested to hear recommendations for tyres. I'm due a new set when the car goes back on the road in April as the fronts are 10 years old. The rears may also need changing. I'm not worried about tyre wear rates as I don't do much mileage and don't even use it in the winter.
I and a few others here switched to Hankook Ventus V12s a few years ago. Cant recommend it highly. It is as good for my driving as the pirelli p zero , contisport3 and goodyears eagle F1s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.