Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya,
Organising a Dusk to Dawn run on 20/6/20.
Starting Lands End on 20th at 21.36 and finishing Ness Point Lowestoft 4.30 on 21/6/2020, hopefully, emulating the Top Gear, Clarkson, run.
Approx 430 miles
Have some interest already, but adding to calender would be appreciated.
Regards
Ray (Mealor)

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,380 Posts
Would like to do this one year....
1578399613617.gif

But clashes with the Vulcan Wellesbourne Wings and Wheels Event on the 21st June....

Perhaps Me & @MartinatMersea can do a dry run on the Friday night...!!

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
30 Posts
Hi,
I am interested, please keep me informed.
Are we looking at it as a time challenge or a leisurely drive!

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply @cougarking.

The run is for a timed challenge from Lands End, most westerly point, to beat the sunrise at Ness Point, Lowestoft, most easterly point in Britain. Looking at 6 hours 54mins

A Leisurely run would be more suited to daylight so as to take in the scenery en-route.

You can see from route map above getting to A30, A303, M3, M25, A12, some 430 odd miles & approx 47 cameras to contend with.

Hope to see you there.
Regards
Ray
SLC43(390)

·
2,380 Posts
You can see from route map above getting to A30, A303, M3, M25, A12, some 430 odd miles & approx 47 cameras to contend with...
The weekly speed cameras updates + live traffic is why I have a TomTom 5200 in My R172....

·
2,380 Posts
“A Leisurely run would be more suited to daylight so as to take in the scenery en-route.”
Many parts of the UK have great SLK scenic driving roads (y)
An excellent example was @DaveR. Cornish Byways Trip: Cornish Byways Road Trip & Pictures:

But doing the "Dusk to Dawn" is a bit like a runner doing a 26 mile Marathon in under 3 hours - You might not fully enjoy doing it at the time, but feel a sense of achievement once it's done..!! :cool:

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200 Komp 'Silkie Growler'
420 Posts
Many parts of the UK have great SLK scenic driving roads (y)
An excellent example was @DaveR. Cornish Byways Trip: Cornish Byways Road Trip & Pictures:

But doing the "Dusk to Dawn" is a bit like a runner doing a 26 mile Marathon in under 3 hours - You might not fully enjoy doing it at the time, but feel a sense of achievement once it's done..!! :cool:
I have no doubt Trev and I could always get my fill of the scenery getting to Land's End and back from Lowestoft! ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did this 2 years ago
It's a race against the sun, not against each other, you need to average approx 68mph to beat the sun.

It's a goog couple of days.
Take some advice . . . . Organise a co-driver. Doing the trip down, the race and the trip home is a long way (for me 900+ miles).

Disasters aside, I will be doing it again this year with No 1 son.

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bu99er, hit the post button early.
It would be a pleasure to do the run in the company of some other MB types.
Put me on the list please

John
Thanks for info John, interest noted, more info closer to date.
Cheers
Ray

1 - 18 of 18 Posts