Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG
52 Posts
Final Edition send off for Mercedes SLC

PISTONHEADS Headline news today

Final Edition send off for Mercedes SLC
German convertible departs after 23 years in production with high-spec run-out model

The Mercedes-Benz SLK / SLC will officially go out of production later this year after 23 years on sale, so to send the convertible off a new Final Edition has been launched.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
Mercedes-Benz Says Goodbye to the SLC

Car & Driver reports YELLOW SLC Final Edition

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26415619/2020-mercedes-benz-slc-final-edition-photos-info/

Confusingly it references both sales of Final Edition next year 2020, and 2020 model year sales. Which is it.

Autocar story here says these models go on sale next month.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows/mercedes-benz-ends-slc-production-celebratory-final-edition

Autocar also quotes M-B saying total SLK/SLC PRODUCTION TOPS 710,000.

I bet that was more profitable for them than the MX-5 has been for Mazda!

Given R172 started in 2011 , it’s 8-9 year model life is up. What next?

- where’s Daniel!

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,601 Posts
Surprised that the SLC lasted this long, as there where rumours last Autumn that SLC production was coming to an end...
The AutoCar.co.uk Link gives the most info for UK buyers: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows/mercedes-benz-ends-slc-production-celebratory-final-edition

Though anyone getting one of these Yellow SLC's would certainly have a good chance winning the ROTM..!! :grin:

The Interior is different with the Silver seat belts - Though not keen on the "SLC - Final Edition" logo on the Head Restraints.. :|
(Plus can see the yellow paintwork of the door frame, on the bottom edge of the door card..!!)

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,379 Posts
Numerous members have posted this same topic which I have had to zap....

So bumping to the top to try to make my life easier

please use our search feature. :D

·
Registered 2016 SLC200
165 Posts
SLC Carbon gear selector

Personally I like the gear selector. I never understood why the current top insert is so plain!
Yes, that caught my eye as well. Nice detail.

Sad that the SLK/SLC is dropping out of production.

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,601 Posts
Looking at the official MB Link posted by MarkChat - The first sentence: https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSite/ko/en/42571232
"When the SLK first appeared as a production model in 1996, it caused a sensation and founded a new generation of roadsters: For the first time, Mercedes-Benz had produced a roadster whose fixed vario-roof redefined the roadster segment by combining open-air driving pleasure with uncompromised comfort in poor weather - that had never been available before."

So do MB admit that any rag top replacement for the SLK/SLC will be a step backwards...??

RIP SLC.
But I got MINE!
Ditto...!!>:D

Personally I like the gear selector. I never understood why the current top insert is so plain!
Agree the Leather Insert looks good, but not the silver "SLC" lettering:

Attachments

·
Registered 2009 SLK350
341 Posts
Final Edition should have been named SLK.

I don’t think the name change achieved anything.
Maybe they didn't name it "SLK Final Edition" so they have the option to bring back in the future,,,,, just like other car co. have resurrected some of their discontinued models.

I have to agree SLC did not achieve anything.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,355 Posts
Love that Sunburst yellow color on the "Final Edition", unfortunately the SLC isn't much of an upgrade over my current R172 SLK so not going to be interested. But I may be tempted to get the paint color code from MB and consider a wrap of mine in that color at some point in the future... maybe in my golden retirement years when my current SLK will be long in the tooth and may need a refresh paint... >:D

Can someone with photoshop skills put a R172 SLK in that yellow color and post? Will be great to see how it compares to the SLC in that color....

·
Registered 1999 SLK230-sold
15,261 Posts
All you can hope for is that the new Z4 sales do well so it will push Mercedes back in the game with another generation.
Sad to say I do not think it will happen since MB put all there eggs into EV,s and Suv,s.:frown::frown:

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,164 Posts

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
Black door handles? Oh no!
Firstly it reminds me of the old unpainted plastic ones, and secomdly, if designers are so short of ideas
to enhance the car that they resort to this , then no wonder they can’t inspire buyers who ‘just have to
have one’ because of looks alone.

Same for the black exterior mirrors, why do I want my eyes drawn to them by contrasting colour.
My eyes should be drawn to an extroadinarily beautiful body. Not chintsy details.

Then there is the “carbon fibre look” seat fabric? This truly bizarre.
Carbon fibre is a transformational structural material.
How does that relate to a seat fabric.
Do we see carbon fibre look dress fabric?

There is so much to like about this car,
pity the final edition could not have come up with some “really special” upgrades.

The yellow looks close the Yellow from the R170, but not identical. What do people think?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I wonder if there will be choice of trim, to get rid of aluminium/grey in the dash and have normal black seats. If there's no choice, let's forget it then.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts