Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Previous mark shattered by 15 seconds

Romain Dumas and the Volkswagen I.D. R electric-powered car smashed the record for the Broadmoor Pikes Peak International Hill Climb presented by Gran Turismo on Sunday, becoming the first to finish under 8 minutes, at 7:57.148.

“I made no mistakes," Dumas said after his Sunday run. "This race is so tough."

The previous overall record was 8:13.878 was set by Sébastien Loeb in a Peugeot 208 T16 in 2013.

Rhys Millen held the electric vehicle record, finishing in 2016 with a time of 8:57.118, with a 1,600-hp electric prototype.

When the clouds came in and visibility diminished, “I backed off, I think I lost 4-5 seconds," Dumas said. "In sector three, I need to really give again. I pushed to warm the tires. The last sector was amazing. Pikes Peak was a challenge for me and my team. I am very proud.”

Where does this race rank in Dumas' racing career?

“Very high," Dumas said. "I am so happy. We have worked six years for this race.”

As has become common in the last few years the Pikes Peak International Climb was stopped just before 3:00 p.m. local time because of zero visibility and a massive hail storm covering the whole course.

Read more: Complete results, 2018 Pikes Peak Hill Climb: Romain Dumas, Volkswagen I.D. R conquer the mountain | Autoweek

1 - 1 of 1 Posts