Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered looking at an '05 280/350 SLK
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hiya all,

I test-drove a September 2017 SLC250d AMG Line last weekend and I expected to have an auto-retracting boot separator, keyless go, dual-zone, cruise control/limiter, climate control, and Harmon Kardon speakers. I say all this due to reviews stating the first 3 are standard and the latter 3 being part of Premium Package 2 and Premium Package 3 - and the car I tested had Apple Play, Android Auto and leather seats so assumed it had either Package (Trim Levels).

However I was shocked to get a 'close boot separator' message on screen when I tried to open the roof and also had to insert a square-looking key into the ignition to start the car. I couldn't see any cruise control markings on the indicator stalks and instead of 2 rotary dials for climate control, only one had climate markings to 28C and the other had 5 fan speeds. No Harmon Kardon logos either.

Confusingly, a P in a blue box appeared when I was parked in the middle of the sales lot - which indicated Park Pilot - but the salesman said the only parking assist are the front and rear sensors. Oh, and no full-length wind deflector - just 2 transparent foldaway ones behind each headrest.

I like the car and it does have all 8 buttons separated by the hazard light button - so it has 2x heated seats, 2x airscarf, dynamic assist, a car with skid marks which I assume is traction control, the letter A in a sort-of circle, and parking sensors on/off - but the 6 features I listed are important to me (whereas Park Pilot is a very welcome 'nice to have') and am unsure why my car doesn't have them.

Your help is appreciated.

·
Registered 2019 SLC43
21 Posts
Sorry to disappoint but most of these things are optional extras, and the ones that the car does have con be chosen individually in the uk - so CarPlay is not indication that it should have something else.
The blue P personally I find next to useless - all it does is tell me that there might be a space alongside me.

The transparent wind deflectors are an extra - personally I am not convinced they are as effective as a mesh but obviously visibility is better.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
6,156 Posts
When you are searching for a new car if you post the VIN Number of the vehicle in the Datacard section of the forum, the Datacard will detail what specification and options are on the car.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
130 Posts
Hi Miss Vix,

Non of the items you highlighted are standard even on the UK spec AMG SLC43.

All expensive options i'm afraid.

If you have Car Play then you may have the Comand unit which is a very expensive option also.

Enjoy your new car.

Tom

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,600 Posts
Agree with the others, the spec You are talking about is the USA Spec SLC's..... :oops:
I've included the UK Face Lift R172 Brochure below, which will show what is standard over here....
The transparent wind deflectors are an extra - personally I am not convinced they are as effective as a mesh but obviously visibility is better.
Agree the R172 Air-Guard(s) are not a patch on the OEM Clear R171 Wind Deflector at 70mph or 130km/h when You want to talk to Your Chief Navigator/Passenger.. :cry:
But Me & @Col are working on a fix, that helps with or with out Air Guide deployed:

UK SLC Brochure:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,189 Posts
Even if you were to find a 'for sale' listed with those options, it is wise to get a datacard
for that specific vehicle.

Dealers, especially non MB dealers are notorious for copying another eg CD250CDi for sale
and posting that description on the own that they are selling.

Last year, there was a possibility of having to replace my own 55.
Found a fantastic colour and description, with hosts of optional extras.

One extra caught my eye;
'Rare, folding rear seats option fitted'

A two seater, with no additional cabin seats and folding rear seats?
Exactly. Probably a copy of a four seater MB sales description.

Remember the mantra.

'Buyer Beware'

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will try to get the datacard.

So all those reviews saying that the automatic boot retractor is standard are only referring to the US spec? Am I right in assuming that if it had dual-zone climate control it would have temp markings on both dials?

How easy/cheap is it to retrofit cruise control? I understand all the gubbins that make it work is pre-fitted and just lacks the stalk?

As for the roof mod to operate the roof via remote control, is there anyone I can go to to fit this for me?

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,154 Posts

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps I missed the cruise control/limiter as there was a stalk under the indicator stalk. This car has Audio 20 and as it has sat nav, what's better about the upgraded Garmin version? Can I plug my phone in and get it's Google Maps to run through the SLC's interface?

·
2,154 Posts
It has integrated Apple Carplay so should all work via Bluetooth without the need to plug in.
14U SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION PACKAGE
16U SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION APPLE CARPLAY
17U SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION ANDROID AUTO

Sorry, no idea about the Garmin stuff - I use mapnav;)

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is great to know! When it comes to inbuilt satnavs, do you have to pay to update them? How do they compare against apps like Waze and Goole Maps?

Last of all, are there garages that will fit the roof mod and if so, what's the usual charge?
(I don't fancy pulling my car to bits to fit it myself).

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
130 Posts
I have just had the latest map update for free before the warranty expires.

Still prefer waze through Apple Car Play for the Speed camera warnings etc you get using Waze.

Yes cruise is standard on all UK SLC models.

The only worthwhile extra on my car is the Pano roof as it makes the cabin less claustrophobic with the roof in place.

Cheers

Tom

·
2,154 Posts
Last of all, are there garages that will fit the roof mod and if so, what's the usual charge?
There are various companies that will fit the Smarttop module. Depends where you are located - there may be member/s here who could help or do it for/with you.

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
166 Posts
It has integrated Apple Carplay so should all work via Bluetooth without the need to plug in.
14U SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION PACKAGE
16U SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION APPLE CARPLAY
17U SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION ANDROID AUTO

Sorry, no idea about the Garmin stuff - I use mapnav;)
Unfortunately not via Bluetooth!
You need to use a cable.

I have a 2018 SLC43 with an Audio20 and both Carplay and Android Auto only work when the phone is physically connected via cable to the rear of the two USB ports in the arm-rest cubby

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
166 Posts
That is great to know! When it comes to inbuilt satnavs, do you have to pay to update them? How do they compare against apps like Waze and Goole Maps?

Regarding the Garmin SatNav with the Audio 20, MAP updates are only free for 60 days after first initialising the Garmin SD Card.

As tadpole said, you can update the Garmin SOFTWARE version on the SD card to the latest release (released every 4-6 months it seems) but this is not a map update. The map data remains the same. You have to buy a new Garmin SD Card at full price to get the latest maps after the 60 days.
(I note reports that people have tried cloning SD cards to get the latest map data but this renders Live Traffic Updates inoperable.)

The software can be done either via a dealer or just do it yourself using the "Mercedes-Benz Download Manager" available for free on the internet so you can do it with a PC (or peripheral) with an SD Card reader/Writer slot

Regarding Garmin, the new car comes with a 3 year subscription to Tom-Tom live traffic data, which is kinda needed to make sat-nav work else it just a glorified map navigation tool.
You have to pay to keep getting Live Traffic info via Mercedes.me to keep it useful.

I say useful - take that with a pinch of salt. The Garmin on the Audio20 is way way way inferior to Google maps and waze, in London at least.

It routinely sends me on a 3/4 and a 1 mile detour in two places I know well, almost as if it doesn't know that the proper and direct route road is even there, open and flowing.
(This is not related to map updates, the roads are main roads that have been there for decades!)
At these points I ignore it and take the actual route, but it means I cannot have confidence in the system.

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,600 Posts
I say useful - take that with a pinch of salt. The Garmin on the Audio20 is way way way inferior to Google maps and waze, in London at least.

It routinely sends me on a 3/4 and a 1 mile detour in two places I know well, almost as if it doesn't know that the proper and direct route road is even there, open and flowing.
(This is not related to map updates, the roads are main roads that have been there for decades!)
At these points I ignore it and take the actual route, but it means I cannot have confidence in the system.
Even though I have the optional COMAND, I still use My Tom Tom 5200 which has far better live traffic & Speed Camera info.

With regards to the strange routing, does the Audio 20/Garmin have a a "Dynamic Route" setting..?

This would explain the varied routes that it takes You, especially if it also uses historic traffic data...?

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,171 Posts

I had them on my R172 350 which I used almost permanently roof down as a daily driver for 3 years (Brisbane Australia).

I found them surprisingly effective.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts