Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLC300
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all

Going to look at an SLC 300 that has been reserved for a test drive. Spec' has been sent through. I have a query on the following:

1. I've had a quick look around the net and can't see if there is a glass windbreaker so I can replace the net version, is there one?
2. Is it possible to add the chrome cover to the roll bars retrospectively?
3. Is it possible to install via a competent technician the rotating wind deflector and chrome covers?
4. From reading the Hi-Fi threads, do I assume that the the HK set up still needs an amp and bass speakers to get a satisfying 'bump' for a person who listens to reggae Dub and deep house music.
5. Future consideration. What would be the benefit if any of moving the wheels up from 18 inch to 19 inch with a spacer. Is that common amongst customisers...
6. When you have added body styling to any of your previous cars, do you have to keep finding quality 'resprayers' to get the the match correct, before installation.

Despite the contrary impression, I'm not wanting to totally 'pimp' the car to qualify for the 'boy racer' trophy, simply want to enhance the aesthetics of the overall image. Promise!

Thanks in advance for any constructive views be good if you could include what you say was the one upgrade that you wished you had on your SLC.

Seyley

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,026 Posts
Dear all

Going to look at an SLC 300 that has been reserved for a test drive. Spec' has been sent through. I have a query on the following:

1. I've had a quick look around the net and can't see if there is a glass windbreaker so I can replace the net version, is there one?
2. Is it possible to add the chrome cover to the roll bars retrospectively?
3. Is it possible to install via a competent technician the rotating wind deflector and chrome covers?
4. From reading the Hi-Fi threads, do I assume that the the HK set up still needs an amp and bass speakers to get a satisfying 'bump' for a person who listens to reggae Dub and deep house music.
5. Future consideration. What would be the benefit if any of moving the wheels up from 18 inch to 19 inch with a spacer. Is that common amongst customisers...
6. When you have added body styling to any of your previous cars, do you have to keep finding quality 'resprayers' to get the the match correct, before installation.

Despite the contrary impression, I'm not wanting to totally 'pimp' the car to qualify for the 'boy racer' trophy, simply want to enhance the aesthetics of the overall image. Promise!

Thanks in advance for any constructive views be good if you could include what you say was the one upgrade that you wished you had on your SLC.

Seyley
There is a glass well plastic windbreaker that is fitted on certain spec models yes .
Ive replaced bumber badge to the black wreath version .
Stick to 18 alloys

·
Premium member 2014 SLK200
2,010 Posts
The aluminium roll hoop covers can be substituted if you can find a pair and have several hundred pounds to spare. The covers are clipped on after removing the plastic ones but the aluminium skin is very thin and easy to damage. If you have a few more hundred pounds you can include the 'Air guides'. Last time I checked there were no new available in UK or Germany. That may have changed.
I did have a look at a pair here:
https://parts.asm-autos.co.uk/parts-breaking-tyres/details/2018-Mercedes-Benz-SLC-3-0-Petrol-M276--822-Engine-Only-2186-Miles-c43-glc43-AMG/155812/AV64AMG/
last week but rejected them as they had some small but quite deep marks.

·
Registered 2019 SLC43
21 Posts
My 43 has the air guide "ears" - having had a previous roadster with mesh, I am personally not convinced that they are as effective

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,056 Posts
Seyley
Just want to comment on these two questions...

4- In the R172 with the premium sound system option (810), the HK system comes with 13 speakers / twitters (yes, I counted in mine). I am no audiophile, but methinks that is plenty speakers for a small roadster-sized car... I have no problem with highs and lows, deep bass or high strung treble in mine...

5- wheel upgrade from 18 to 19 is quite typical. Yes, some will tell you not to upsize, but it is really up to you... I am running 19s and these ride smooth regardless of road type. Of course a key determinant is the quality of rubber you shod on these rims... Mine are Conti DWS06. I will swear by these tires bcos they are great on all road conditions... If going to 19s (8.5" or 9.5" sized rims), make sure the offsets are between +35 to +40, so you won't need spacers. Spacers are OK (have used them plenty in the past) but I won't recommend... My rims are 19x8.5 (f) and 19x9.5 (r) with +35 offsets (f/r) and they are pretty darn close to the fenders, just as I want them...

Looking forward to seeing the aesthetically-pleasing mods you will make to your new SLC300... Should be fun doing these mod projects...

·
Registered 2016 SLC300
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses so far.

Thanks all for the correction with regards to the 'glass' windbreak being in fact plastic. I should have stated that correctly as I have one on the R171. Just as a personal observation I found the 'plastic' one to be very effective.
(I'll assume that the R171 plastic windbreaker can't be taken with me and fitted on the Slc?)

Good news on the HK sound...step in the right direction perhaps.

Also thanks for the comments on the wheel base question.

Anymore helpful suggestions gratefully received.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,026 Posts
Thanks for the responses so far.

Thanks all for the correction with regards to the 'glass' windbreak being in fact plastic. I should have stated that correctly as I have one on the R171. Just as a personal observation I found the 'plastic' one to be very effective.
(I'll assume that the R171 plastic windbreaker can't be taken with me and fitted on the Slc?)

Good news on the HK sound...step in the right direction perhaps.

Also thanks for the comments on the wheel base question.

Anymore helpful suggestions gratefully received.
Because of warranty etc on newer car you may have to put off bigger alloys replacement just in case warranty wont allow .

·
Banned
974 Posts
Dear all
Seyley
I bought a heavy Perspex windbreaker as a straight swop for the OE mesh one. It uses the existing slots in the headrests & base.
Comparing back to back the Perspex version creates a bit more cabin turbulence especially behind the neck which is very uncomfortable even on warm sunny days. As a result the mesh one has been reinstated & the Perspex version consigned to the back of the garage. I fail to understand the comments encountered by some regarding rear visibility through the mesh. My eyesight is marginal yet I have no problems. But then I'm not trying to sell anything.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
If your not looking specifically for the Lexan/Plastic Wind Deflector/Screen, try research eBay.

I have found several of the MB OEM Wind Deflectors for sale on eBay USA, and few UK. The OEM deflector fits nicely into the 2 groves on the bottom, and the 2 side slots on the headrest. Works, great, and there is no issues with visibility issues.

Check them out.

Richard in New Mexico USA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts