Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
16,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

By: Joseph Capparella
2015 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class price starts at $43,950 > Learn More
The last remaining manual-transmission model in Mercedes-Benz’s U.S. lineup, the SLK250 roadster, disappears for 2016 as the compact SLK receives a new powertrain along with other updates. Replacing the SLK250 is the new 2016 Mercedes-Benz SLK300, which comes with a larger four-cylinder turbo engine and the company’s new nine-speed automatic transmission.
2014 Mercedes Benz SLK 250 Rear End View In Motion
This new turbocharged four-cylinder is essentially the same unit from the Mercedes-Benz C300, where it makes 241 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque. That’s a significant upgrade from the current SLK250’s 1.8-liter four-cylinder and its 201 hp and 229 lb-ft of torque. The new nine-speed automatic transmission should provide better fuel economy too, as the old SLK250 used either a six-speed manual or a seven-speed automatic transmission.
The V-6-powered Mercedes-Benz SLK350 sticks around for 2016 without updates, as does the V-8-powered SLK55 AMG. There are a few new colors for these models, as well as equipment updates like simplified option packages and the availability of a blind-spot monitoring system as a stand-alone option. The SLK55 AMG also has a newly available AMG Carbon Styling Package.
The new 2016 Mercedes-Benz SLK300 will cost a bit more than the SLK250, with the new model priced at $47,925, a $3,050 increase. The 2016 SLK350 costs $1,550 more, at $60,125, and the SLK55 is $1,700 more, at $73,525 to start, all including destination.
After this relatively minor 2016 update, an all-new version of the Mercedes-Benz SLK convertible should arrive within the next year or so, renamed SLC to reflect Mercedes-Benz’s new nomenclature.

·
* Registered
2017, SL400
1,336 Posts
I've been watching the MB UK site and they do not currently offer the 350. i guess the question is to whether to buy a SLK in the hope that it will be " collectable" or wait for a new SLC... I'd rather have the v6 or v8 - so that raises questions if the 350 is not going to be available here do I have to buy a V8 :laugh:

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
In very nearly 5 years Mercedes-Benz in the UK registered 652 R172 SLK350's - mainly the AMG Sport model (465) and Edition 125 (165).

That's a VERY small number of cars. It really doesn't justify the RHD homologation process when you can turn an SLK250 into an SLK300 with a bigger turbo and apart from the noise and the massive improvement in fuel economy, there is very little difference.

The UK car market is geared against big engined sports cars. Taxation, fuel pricing and an acceptance of small engined sports cars means that the UK buyer doesn't usually go looking for a big V6. In the USA it's totally different. The 350 is a strong seller, as is the AMG 55.

If the SLK350 sells better in Australia/News Zealand/Japan then there is no reason why they won't keep selling it there.

You can always ask about a special order build. I was told by the AMG sales rep at my dealer that they will build you ANYTHING if you're prepared to pay for it.

·
Banned
804 Posts
In my corner of the US of A the 171 was a very popular car. The dealer's lot was always stuffed with them, and they sold as fast as they came in. Of the cars I've seen on the road and on the lot, they have all been the V6 except for one solitary V8 in a liquor store parking lot! In the last couple of years, I have seen a couple of 172s always with the V6, and the dealer usually has one or two in stock but not like it was with the 171s!

We all know about the problems with the NA V6s & V8s. Now Mercedes has a new generation of engines, all turbocharged. The four cylinder with a turbo has been around for some time, but now the 6s & 8s will come with twin turbochargers. I have a BMW 135i which has a turbo, and the car is very responsive and lots of fun to drive. However, the early versions were a major PITA with lots of expensive issues.

Frankly, I'm quite satisfied with my faithful '10 SLK with the Sports Pkg. If say I wanted the new SLC with the V8, It'd take my pristine SLK and some number like $50K to get one. Also Mercedes doesn't have any history with turbo V6s and V8s, so there are bound to be problems. With only a 4-year warranty, no thanks.

BTW, if I lived in a tiny country like England where I imagine the roads are stuffed with cars, fuel is expensive, and the motor authorities have somewhat Nazi attitudes, I'd consider something other than a MB. The new MX-5 might be an interesting consideration?:nerd:

·
Registered 2015 SLK250
354 Posts
...That's a VERY small number of cars. It really doesn't justify the RHD homologation process when you can turn an SLK250 into an SLK300 with a bigger turbo and apart from the noise and the massive improvement in fuel economy, there is very little difference.
I am curious about noise and right-hand drive. The turbo on our car is on the right. It's hard to hear any specific turbo noise from the driver's seat. In the passenger's seat, it's more obvious. I assume that the turbo stays where it is on RHD models and you just get extra noise.

The 4.0 twin-turbo V8 has a nice exhaust note in the new C-class.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
I am curious about noise and right-hand drive. The turbo on our car is on the right. It's hard to hear any specific turbo noise from the driver's seat. In the passenger's seat, it's more obvious. I assume that the turbo stays where it is on RHD models and you just get extra noise.
I've not driven a turbo petrol SLK, just the twin-turbo diesel, which is pretty noisy at idle but very quiet at speed. With the roof down, all you hear is wind roar. With the roof up, all I hear is tyre noise.

At idle it sounds like a bag of bolts being rattled vigorously, but, in my experience, so do most CGi engines - it's the fuel pump that makes the clattering noise.

·
Banned
974 Posts
BTW, if I lived in a tiny country like England where I imagine the roads are stuffed with cars, fuel is expensive, and the motor authorities have somewhat Nazi attitudes, I'd consider something other than a MB. The new MX-5 might be an interesting consideration?:nerd:
Sadly you're right. I came to the SLK via a restored 1960's classic sports car, Mazda Mk1 MX-5(Miata), Honda S2000 & Audi A3 cabriolet & in terms of relevance to the road conditions the Mazda still stands head & shoulders above them all.
Professional reviewers in filmed road tests & magazine articles have been raving about the new MX-5 (UK launch in October) & out of curiosity I have booked a dealer preview. The new car will be on display at a motoring festival this month though.
Trouble is I have been spoilt by the quality & image of Audi & Mercedes & because like most UK car owners I'm a brand snob I fear that reverting to a Mazda is going backwards & downmarket.
I suspect I'll wait until 2106 & check out the more powerful 4 cylinder engine & 9 speed gearbox of the 2016 SLC.

·
Registered Still SLK-less. Maybe one day ...
607 Posts
I loved my S2000. Sublime 6 speed gearbox and howling VTEC with 9k rpm redline, RWD and a convertible :-D. Do love the Audi, Mercedes and BMW quality though and an automatic is better suited to rush hour traffic round here. Put the BMW 8 speed automatic in my current car with the Merc V8 in the SLK/SLC and I'd be very happy and back in a convertible.

·
Registered 2015 SLK250
354 Posts
Sadly you're right. I came to the SLK via a restored 1960's classic sports car, Mazda Mk1 MX-5(Miata), Honda S2000 & Audi A3 cabriolet & in terms of relevance to the road conditions the Mazda still stands head & shoulders above them all.
Professional reviewers in filmed road tests & magazine articles have been raving about the new MX-5 (UK launch in October) & out of curiosity I have booked a dealer preview. The new car will be on display at a motoring festival this month though.
Trouble is I have been spoilt by the quality & image of Audi & Mercedes & because like most UK car owners I'm a brand snob I fear that reverting to a Mazda is going backwards & downmarket.
I suspect I'll wait until 2106 & check out the more powerful 4 cylinder engine & 9 speed gearbox of the 2016 SLC.

The US MX-5 has a 2.0L and that is probably competitive with the 2016 Mercedes spec, roughly half the price. That is exactly what I'd buy.

·
* Registered
2017, SL400
1,336 Posts
In very nearly 5 years Mercedes-Benz in the UK registered 652 R172 SLK350's - mainly the AMG Sport model (465) and Edition 125 (165).

That's a VERY small number of cars. It really doesn't justify the RHD homologation process when you can turn an SLK250 into an SLK300 with a bigger turbo and apart from the noise and the massive improvement in fuel economy, there is very little difference.

The UK car market is geared against big engined sports cars. Taxation, fuel pricing and an acceptance of small engined sports cars means that the UK buyer doesn't usually go looking for a big V6. In the USA it's totally different. The 350 is a strong seller, as is the AMG 55.

If the SLK350 sells better in Australia/News Zealand/Japan then there is no reason why they won't keep selling it there.

You can always ask about a special order build. I was told by the AMG sales rep at my dealer that they will build you ANYTHING if you're prepared to pay for it.
I'm now based in the UK ( need to update my details). I had a 350 (R172) in Oz and was very happy with it. I'll probably end up with a pre-owned AMG55.

·
* Registered
2017, SL400
1,336 Posts
I've not driven a turbo petrol SLK, just the twin-turbo diesel, which is pretty noisy at idle but very quiet at speed. With the roof down, all you hear is wind roar. With the roof up, all I hear is tyre noise.

At idle it sounds like a bag of bolts being rattled vigorously, but, in my experience, so do most CGi engines - it's the fuel pump that makes the clattering noise.
That is my problem with the oil burners, they perform really well but they still sound like agricultural machinery!
I'm currently driving a friend's SAAB 1.9 twin turbo diesel and although it is about 8 years old, it's performance is impressive. Just hate the engine noise.

·
Banned
974 Posts
The US MX-5 has a 2.0L and that is probably competitive with the 2016 Mercedes spec, roughly half the price. That is exactly what I'd buy.
I too would only consider the 2.0L in top spec. which includes Sat. Nav. Many road testers are whittering on about the wonders of the 1.5 yet admit they have to stir the (delightful) gearbox to get the car to really go. My fear is that the cheapo 1.5 will be bumbled to & from the shops by girls or used to gawp at the scenery by elderly couples.
I miss the nimbleness of an MX-5, the Honda S2000 & currently the SLK being more bulky yet the 'feel good factor' of the Mercedes is unsurpassed.
Oh the joy of such decisions & I look forward to an extended test drive of the new MX-5 later this year.:smile:

·
Registered 2015 SLK250
354 Posts
I admit to being cheap! My biggest problem with the SLK is money - not just to buy, but maintenance and the potential cost of collisions, parking lot damage or even weather. Our car got $7500 in hail damage, just sitting in a parking lot. We can afford it but the money bothers me. It doesn't bother my wife a lot, and she puts more value on the brand and luxury.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I see your point, you do buy into fairly hefty additional costs with even a cheapo SLK like mine... I loved my MR2 so much I kept it when I bought the SLK 8 months ago, but I've done less than 20 miles in it in that time cos the Benz is too nice not to drive, I think the 20 year old Toyota's finally gonna have to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.