Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Out for my morning bagel run and stop at red light on Hi way 60, 4 lanes
Blue Mustang GT pulls up left lane to me. He pulls to line and I am 5 feet back from line. You just know he wants to do it.
Light turns green and off we go, but not a contest. I am soooooo far ahead I coast to the next red light.
I stay in my same lane but he switches to my right side. Maybe that side is faster?
Light changes and again I beat him handily.
I slow down as we approach yet another red light and I put my passenger window down.
I ask him if that is a 2015 (to confirm for myself his horsepower of 420)
He says yes and then says, no mas, no mas and smiles
I turn and ride off into the sunrise and will enjoy my bagel! :D

pic of defeated model

·
93,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you never heard that expression from the fight?

It means, no more, no more :D

"No mas, no mas," Roberto told the referee. "No more box." He walked to his corner, and when Leonard realized that Duran had surrendered the title to him he sprang up like a squirrel on the top rope in a neutral corner.

The New York Times: This Day In Sports

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ahh, so what really happpened was .....

Light changes and again I beat him handily.

...he then says, no mas, no mas and smiles

Sorry, UK humour, couldn't help it >:D

·
93,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

He says yes
and then says, no mas, no mas and smiles

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mustang

He says yes
and then says, no mas, no mas and smiles
Good one! Mustangs are fun. They sound fast, so the owners expect them to be fast too?? Those little Dearborn ponies must be smaller than our big steroid fed, Bavarian Bred, AMG tuned war-horses, lol.

A perfect example of how a well set up car can bust a more powerful, but heavier, less well balanced machine. Love it. In your case, you likely have more power than the stang at the wheels? I dunno.

Irish

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
big steroid fed, Bavarian Bred, AMG tuned war-horses

that would be some child of a BMW and a Porsche.

our warhorses are from Wurttemburg, surely:nerd:

Jeff, do any of these misled Ford drivers tell you to pick on someone your own size, instead of constantly slapping down the biggest kid in the playground?>:D

·
93,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No they don't. a lot instigate things. but i love it when they do.
The other day a big wheel monster type truck revved at a light and took off. easy peasy 4 me.
what was he thinking?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Horses for Courses

that would be some child of a BMW and a Porsche.

our warhorses are from Wurttemburg, surely

>:D
Herr Fudd, Thank you. You are of course 100% correct. I was not attempting to make a statement of geographical fact, but more to my point that horsepower numbers are never the whole story when designing the total performance of any car, ours included. My reference to "Bavaria" being only to point in the general direction of southern Germany toward Affalterbach, which is in the state of Baden-Wurttemburg as you correctly stated.

The V8 used in the R171 model of the SLK55 was not tuned for maximum peak power but instead for a broad output of lots of power from about 2000 rpm up to redline, and coupled with the 7 spd gearbox which is capable of quick shifts, good matching of the ratios to the torque curve, good weight transfer to hook up all that power effectively, all resulting in quick, hard launches with minimal wheelspin, thus often capable of surprising drivers of vehicles that on paper at least one might expect to be quicker than they are. Case in point, my kill of the C6 Corvette LS3 convertible recently at a charity 1/8th mile drag race. The Vette has 430hp and is a little lighter than my car. I fully expected to be smoked. But a good launch with a little wheelspin by the Vetter culminated in my taking the win, pulling away the entire time, beating the "Faster" car by 4/10th of a sec (an eternity in a drag race). Our SLK's are very efficient stop-light to stop light weapons, due to those big, hairy, AMG horses, no matter where they were corn fed into existence. 0:)

I stand most humbly corrected.

Irish

PS it does not hurt that AMG tends to rate their engines to a stated minimum std. horsepower as opposed to some other mfgs who may or may not rate their engines at the average or median output thus gaining them more ponies on paper but not always the most on the street. This sandbagging is what I call under promise and over deliver. Our cars feel much faster than their numbers would lead one to expect. In effect making our horses look bigger than they first appeared on paper, lol

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nerds

A lot of us nerds like MB vehicles as we can appreciate superior design and execution in Mfg. We like driving our sports cars instead of wrenching on them and everybody likes having a car that is faster/quicker than the numbers would lead one to expect. I am guilty as charged. No accident that the owner/member list has a high concentration of engineers, scientists, doctors and other nerdy types. As they say, birds of a feather...

Irish

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
It's all the Sarge's fault

I got in on the act today, and claim a banana yellow 2016 5.0 pony all of my own. even better when I tell you I was in my 2001 S210 family bus. By the time I passed him I was going an awesome 3mph faster than him. He was doing at least 55mph. In traffic , on the A19 two-lane dual carriageway. But it counts.

The nerds shall inherit the earth....>:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nerds n Bikers

I was going to post that I'm no nerd owning 55er.
Zero tech skill.
Biker more than a driver.

Then the scientist kicked in!

The 55 is a bike, it just has more wheels.

Simples :tu:
I find it also very interesting that besides the high concentration of the nerdy owners, we also have a very high concentration of owners who are also bikers. Me too. I ride Harley, Ducati, BMW, and Honda m/c's and Cannondale bicycle. So, I guess that makes me a nerdy biker, SLK owner.
:laugh:

Irish

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
is it habit-forming

Yes it is. I had another one this morning, on the A1. Another 2016 5.0 lltre pony car.
My excuse is that I had to overtake him and leave him in my rear-view mirror as a diminishing dot, on account of two factors.

Firstly, it was being driven as though it were still in the US. That is to say overtaking every which way except on the right , as is still the expectation here. The driver struck me as behaving as though he wanted to be sideswiped by a lorry, or Lily Law to pull him over. I think the reason for this was factor two.

Secondly, the colour. It really was offensive. I mean Blues Brothers in the posh restaurant offensive. I mean the only way to describe it is to liken it to homogenised vomit. Honestly, I wouldn't even paint a banger that colour for a sizeable bet. and it had the big black stripes which made it look even worse.

see here, the final colour on the right. 2016 Ford Mustang Sports Car | Colors & 360? Views | Ford.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts