Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks.
I have been working on a salvage 2014 Smart Electric car.

Replaced all car front end assembly, repaired wiring harness, air conditioning system, front suspension struts and spring. On the electrical side, I have replaced airbags, Fuse F19 and cleared all codes in the various control units except five in one unit, the Battery Management System, BMS, control unit SG-BMS (both active and stored).

These are -
P1D799A - HV battery contactor open due release fault. Ops condition not met.

U01A200, U01A100 and U01A000 - lack of CAN communication with internal control unit with A, B and C cells respectively.

P1614FA -Control unit internal fault initialization unsuccessful.

Interlock circuit for HV units are all ok through to G5 BMS connector. Battery is hot on F19 and to BMS 15 and 30 circuits.

Unlike the Tesla, no public info for working on these car is available. Its been fun reading and understanding this car on WIS, however I am currently stomped and contemplating opening up G5. If you can offer any assistance, please let me know on this forum or private msg. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
24,227 Posts
@CRBAman

Thanks for joining SLKWorld.com.
This may help you settle in.
http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/439993-new-wondering-what-do.html

Please post an introduction:
http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

Please update your vehicle/location details if you haven't already done so:
Follow exactly to update:
‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side,
‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.
Info in your garage does not update your profile.
The reason that we ask you to update vehicle/location details is to save repeating the same
information every time that you ask a question.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
24,227 Posts
Hello!

Did you solv the problem with P1D799A - HV battery contactor open due release fault?

When asking a specific poster a question it is best to quote (like this post)
or mention (as I mentioned you line 1, post 2) to draw their attention.

Search is an excellent feature of this forum.
Most problems have been sorted previously:
http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/138769-tips-searching.html

Please post an introduction:
New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

If you update your details, then every post that you make tells us where you are
and the vehicle that you are having problems with.
----------------------------------------------------------

First please update your location and vehicle (Put Looking!)(year?: 1996-2017, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.
The reason that we ask you to update vehicle/location details is to save repeating
the same information every time that you ask a question.
Also, this site is truly worldwide. That can matter when you ask for help and information.
Are you looking for a bonnet, or a hood, a boot, or a trunk? Makes a difference.
Driving on the left, or the right?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
303 Posts
Always happy to welcome a newcomer. But I'm not sure an SLK forum is going to help much with a Smart never mind an electric one.

Cheers Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
I guess so. Anyone need help with a 19 year old Vauxhall Astra, I'm your man...
Cheers Neil

·
Super Moderator
24,227 Posts
I guess so. Anyone need help with a 19 year old Vauxhall Astra, I'm your man...
Cheers Neil

:laugh:

They were made 2 miles from our house!:surprise:

Not an ex panda one is it?
They had graffiti under the paintwork.

Sometimes shows through.:|

·
Registered
303 Posts
No, the current one is a 1.6 SXi - not a police spec.
Had a 1.4 and a 1.6 8v (all G models) and an F before those. That was the only car I know where the engine water jacket rusted through!
Cheers Neil

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello!

Did you solv the problem with P1D799A - HV battery contactor open due release fault?
As a matter of fact I can assist the OP. Information on the Smart Electric is rather limited. But talking about the Vauxaul Astra reminds me of my first car as an engineering student in Staffordshire. It was a 1960s Vauxaul Consul bought for a 100 pounds. This was during the fuel crisis of the late 70s and sold as a fuel guzzler otherwise runs and drives. A very nice ex-royal air force bloke taught me to take off the cylinder head, decoke and grind in the valves. Not much else wrong with the car but the cost of driving it was exorbitant. I had to sell it to the scrapyard (read junk yard) for 5 pounds after towing it for 10 pounds, because my friendly neighbourhood bobby(read cop) did not much like that a fender had rusted through in one spot. He said he could put a finger through the hole in the fender. I said but people do not go about putting their fingers in rusted holes. He did not quite get the joke and wanted to know what I did for a living. So I invited him for a cuppa and showed him the living cum workshop with a dismantled color tv on the dining table. The tv had exhausted colour phosphors and I was adjusting the voltage on the **** for something more acceptable. I said I was an engineering student, making do and I will patch up the hole in the car immediately. He says thanks for the tea, no problem, he will report the case as a matter of routine in the office but he does not think much will come of it. Much did come of it for a poor student - a choice between going to court, or paying a fine of 60 pounds. So I paid 60 pounds! Home never seemed so far away.

Now for the Smart, you are probably got a fully discharged HV battery pack or other problems around the HV interlock circuit, HVIL. My Smart had other issues including a faulty cell in the HV battery pack. If you intend to work on the HV system, you will need a MB Star C4 set, access to MB Tekinfo or WIS, ability to work safely around HV electrical circuits and safety gloves. Here are a few videos and other information to assist you. Best of luck.

I and a friend are currently working on a 3rd Gen unit pack to understand how it works in an effort to resurrect a salvage Smart.
The HVIL two wire circuit in the Smart loops in and out of all the units that are connected to the HV circuit, that is, HV pack, electric motor, a/c compressor, PTC heater, inverter, charger, DC/DC converter. Its two wire circuit is built into the HV connector between the HV units. If you disconnect any HV component, you break the HV safety loop and the contactors break and the HV electrical system is discharged. The HVIL has a 88 Hz frequency superimposed on the 12v dc voltage on the HVIL circuit. The various HV components offer differing dc terminating resistance values, so the system can tell, electrically, what unit is not in circuit or is bypassed. The HVIL signal appears to originate in the pack central BMS. The pyrofuse (triggered by the restraint system or the crash sensor in the event of a crash) and a manual high voltage disconnect are connected in series in the HVIL circuit.
The pack low voltage connector has connections for CAN signal lines, battery ground and BAT voltages. There is also a Battery (KC) enable line. KC can be considered an emergency line that tells the pack to shut down due to crash event signaled by the restraints system or crash sensor. It comes from the Pyrofuse circuit. The KC line is also connected to the charger low voltage connector. The contactors will not close if KC is not pulled high to BAT.

The MCU in the Smart connects via SPI to isolators and to two CAN transceivers to the central BMS unit. This means that CAN msgs can be sent and received from each balance board directly. The balance board draws its power for the balance chips and MCU from the pack cells. If the pack voltage drops below a certain point, the central BMS cannot communicate with the balance chip and MCU. You will in this case, need to open up the pack and charge up the cells in the pack to a nominal voltage.

From WIS,
Extract on the battery pack from WIS below.
“GF54.10-P-3004ED MODEL 451.390 /490
Interlock circuit:
The interlock circuit is intended to protect persons against inadvertent contact with high-voltage components. A 12 V/88Hz interlock signal is looped here through all high-voltage system components that are to be dismantled or opened.
To do this there is a contact bridge in each removable high voltage plug connection which interrupt the interlock circuit during removal of the high voltage plug connection. The interlock circuit is also led switched in a series over the 12 V control units plug connection of the high-voltage components.
The high-voltage battery is installed underneath the passenger cell on the underfloor.
Design
The high-voltage battery is divided into three blocks with a total of 93 series-connected cells. The individual cells are monitored by electronic modules (temperature, voltage, current). The battery management system control unit is integrated in the high-voltage battery module. It reads in the individual signals from the electronic modules directly.
To allow the high-voltage on-board electrical system to be disconnected from the power source, a contactor is installed on components positive side and on the negative side. A precharging circuit breaker is installed to allow precharging of the capacitors of the high-voltage battery. The positive and negative contactors are not closed until this capacitor is fully charged.
The high-voltage battery is cooled by a cooling circuit. On vehicles with code (V03) Battery cooling system, this cooling circuit can additionally be cooled by the air conditioning system via a heat exchanger. To heat the high-voltage battery, the cooling circuit can be heated by means of the high-voltage battery heater (R101). A desiccant cartridge is installed to dehumidify the air.
Task
The high-voltage battery serves as an energy accumulator for the energy supplied during the charging process or during regenerative braking in driving mode. The high-voltage battery makes the stored the energy available to provide power for the high-voltage and the 12 V on-board electrical system.”
I have made various comments on the Smart pack design on EVTV.me as ‘bigsam’. Those comments are compiled below.
Various models of the Smart Electric were released at different times in different countries but generally the Gen1/2 were released in 2011-2012, and the Gen 3 was released in 2013 through to early 2017 in the US. The new Gen 4 will be released later in 2017. The Gen 2 packs have HVIL, same as Gen 3. It is a standard safety practice. The Gen 1/2 have the 6 of Tesla 57v modules inside the HV pack.
I am not familiar with the Gen 2 pack. As a matter of fact, when I got the Smart ForTwo at auction, I expected to find the Gen 2 Tesla modules inside the HV pack. I had hoped to use the 57v modules for my solar system if the salvage restore was unsuccessful. I ended up a Gen 3 with the Daimler HV pack with 3 of 130V modules.
The main design criteria for a pack is safety and isolation of the high voltage tension from chassis and low voltage electronics (that is the convention vehicle 12 volts circuitry). Bearing this in mind, the check that a HV connector is properly connected is simple electrical loop at the outside of the HV connector.
To protect and isolate the pack in an accident, there will be a signal generated in external crash detection circuits that will disable the pack by opening the main contactors in the pack. The disable circuit will come from a pyrofuse circuit triggered by the restraints system and/or crash detector(s).
To protect the HV pack, the main BMS within the pack will be responsible for generating and detecting the HVIL signal.
One other safety protective feature alluded to above is that of HV line (positive and negative lines) isolation from chassis, called Loss of Isolation, LOI. The main BMS will be responsive for the circuitry and signals that will continuously measure the value of the HV line resistance to chassis. DC checks when vehicle is switched ON, and low frequency AC checks for LOI when vehicle is OFF. If for some reason the HV pack has lost its minimum isolation, the contactors will not close. So use a 500v isolation tester to check each HV line to pack chassis as a general check of LOI. Typically values greater than 2 mega ohms are required.
Many things can prevent the contactors closing –
– Simulation of HVIL circuit
– Sequencing of ignition and HV pack enable line
– Loss of Isolation (LOI)
– Bad cell or module
– CAN enable signals able from outside the packXO35
Daimler technical description of the Smart ForTwo Electric Gen1/2 and Gen 3 car (whole vehicle including HV battery system) can be found in the links below. There is also a link to a post from my friend on Smart HV pack diagnostics.
https://ln.sync.com/dl/0b465ddc0#64huz72v-taw4xzv2-yettge7y-bjf63yk8
https://ln.sync.com/dl/0eb273120#i93wzzvk-e9wqbt57-vben26qj-3ja8gyxu
DIY battery diagnostics - Smart Car Forums

Links to my videos on the HV battery pack can be found below -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dogv48870n3if8l/3rd Gen Smart ForTwo HV Innards.MOV?dl=0

https://ln.sync.com/dl/64bb03510/kvkxez2f-svzftvrs-33j9u6ai-r78gukga

This is an off topic thread , update your details and then PM me if you need additional information. Cheers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it was a Ford Consul. Big soft bench seat up front and a rather bulbous and rounded front fender. It had a black rubber gasket between the carburetor and the intake manifold. I forgot to put the rubber gasket back on during a re-assembly and subsequently could not fathom the misfiring and poor start until i pound out where the spare part fitted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. My Smart Car EV Electric is giving me codes stored in the BMS:

U01A200, U01A100 and U01A000 - lack of CAN communication with internal control unit with A, B and C cells respectively.

Car was involved in an accident and airbags were deployed. We have fixed everything but those errors wont clear. Can you please help?

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,857 Posts
Hello. My Smart Car EV Electric is giving me codes stored in the BMS:

Car was involved in an accident and airbags were deployed. We have fixed everything but those errors wont clear. Can you please help?
We are not a SMARTCAR forum.
This thread is now closed
see below
update profile...do you have an SLK? We are SLKWorld
Post an intro

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (Put Looking!)(year?: 1996-2018, model?: 32, 43, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300, 320, 350, 55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.

Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section. Click this: https://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

On a smartphone: https://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/330737-how-update-your-profile-post-intro-smartphone.html

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment or use the 'quote' button so we know who you are asking or replying to or referencing.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
https://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.