Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered 2014 SLK55 AMG
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
couple of questions
I have noticed my headlight bulb on drivers side is not on. Not the full beam bulb but just the side light one I think you call it.
What type of bulb is it please?
Is it easy to change ?
Do you recommend MB replacements or any motor factor bulbs , ie Halfrauds etc ?
I think the car has the ILS headlights if this makes any difference to the type of bulb required.
Any help appreciated.
Thank You
Regards
Rob.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,569 Posts

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,266 Posts

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,
I will go and have a route about , see if I can get the old one out.
Should there have been a warning on the dash for bulb out?
Didn't notice one to be honest.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,510 Posts
As far as I'm aware there isn't a side light bulb as such it's an LED strip. The only conventional bulbs are the bi-xenon ones and the cornering lamps.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as I'm aware there isn't a side light bulb as such it's an LED strip. The only conventional bulbs are the bi-xenon ones and the cornering lamps.

Yep I think it is the cornering light.
Took a look this morning and could not get the old one out.
Any tricks I need to know to get the bugger out?
Regards
Rob

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi LDB,
No unfortunately its not that model or so simple.
Its a 2014 and its within the headlight unit.
I have attached a pic and its the bulb in the middle of the unit. In the middle of the two circular lights either side of it , with the dark grey tip to the bulb.
Not the best pic im afraid

Attachments

·
96,569 Posts
Wow that's nice.
Mines just plain old white though....!

That is the January Ride of the Month Winner

Check the home page and the winner thread :D

·
2,510 Posts
Rob, if there’s a flap in the wheel arch liner which you can access by turning the wheels full lock.

You might be able to get at that bulb through there.

Probably easier with the wheel off.
Be interested to hear how you get on.

How do you know that it’s gone? I assume you realise that cornering lamps only activate during cornering?

Anyway here’s a pic of the flap!

Attachments

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rob, if there’s a flap in the wheel arch liner which you can access by turning the wheels full lock.

You might be able to get at that bulb through there.

Probably easier with the wheel off.
Be interested to hear how you get on.

How do you know that it’s gone? I assume you realise that cornering lamps only activate during cornering?

Anyway here’s a pic of the flap!
Hi ,
you have me wondering now...!
I reversed into the garage the other day and the passenger side one was on but the drivers side wasn't?
I will go and check to see if im a buffoon.

·
2,510 Posts
Hi ,
you have me wondering now...!
I reversed into the garage the other day and the passenger side one was on but the drivers side wasn't?
I will go and check to see if im a buffoon.
If you had some lock on the wheels then it’s possible one was on and of course by their nature it’s only one of them that lights up at any one time depending on the steering input.

Suggest you test it by putting the lights on and watching the behaviour whilst turning the wheel from lock to lock.:wink:

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Col,
you were right.
Just been and checked them again and it comes on when I turn the wheel to the right....doh...!
Sorry guys for wasting your time.
But thanks for your help in solving the problem for me.

One more thing though.
The very inside circular light didn't illuminate? On both sides. I assume there is a bulb behind the glass dome on the inside.? Or is this another doh moment?

·
96,569 Posts
I always consult that book...oh what is it called? Oh yes...The owner's manual :D

The overhead buttons control what happens with those lights also

·
96,569 Posts
well in the r171, we have about 4 different buttons in the console light section
these allow the interior lights to either come on, or function, or not come on when the doors are opened

·
2,510 Posts
Col,
you were right.
Just been and checked them again and it comes on when I turn the wheel to the right....doh...!
Sorry guys for wasting your time.
But thanks for your help in solving the problem for me.

One more thing though.
The very inside circular light didn't illuminate? On both sides. I assume there is a bulb behind the glass dome on the inside.? Or is this another doh moment?
I can only think you are referring to your dedicated high beams? Flick the high beams on to check if they are working. :laugh:

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I put full beam on ,activating the blue dashboard light then the two outer lights get brighter and raise up the light beam a bit, ie dazzle.
The two inner lights don't seem to do anything. I will consult the book in the morning to see whats what. I did when I first got the car 18 months ago but I have forgotten...!

·
2,510 Posts
If I put full beam on ,activating the blue dashboard light then the two outer lights get brighter and raise up the light beam a bit, ie dazzle.
The two inner lights don't seem to do anything. I will consult the book in the morning to see whats what. I did when I first got the car 18 months ago but I have forgotten...!
They may only work on the 'flasher' and I suspect they'll be halogen bulbs accessible from the back but I couldn't say for sure. On the R171 they have this arrangement to get round the issue of the initial warm up period that the xenon type bulbs need to stabilise and produce consistent light at full brightness.

Get flashing and let me know what happens! :surprise::wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.