Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't washed any vehicle for the last 5-6 weeks, maybe longer because of the severe California drought.

I am curious on how folks keep their car looking clean without using the traditional water hose. I've been spraying with something similar to quick detailer but only on places where there may be some droppings. I use the "California Duster" to remove most of the dust. I am leaving the brake dust alone for now.

Please post your tips on using a near "waterless" tips and techniques.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,876 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I use a method that technically isn't water free, but uses much less than the garden hose. It was developed out of necessity of living in an apartment and not having hose access. It works well if the car is dusty and/or insect covered. It doesn't work so well if the car is truly dirty with mud, tar, etc.

I start with the car fully cooled in the garage. Door open or closed is up to you, depending on the level of washing 'enforcement.' A halogen floodlight/worklight can be used if the door is closed.

I fill a dedicated hand pump sprayer like the kind used for spraying insect/weed killer with a squirt of Optimum No Rinse (http://www.autogeek.net/no-rinse-wash.html) and water. A smaller sprayer holds plenty and only uses ~2 gallons of water. I spray the car down in the garage and let it sit for a couple minutes to loosen the contaminants.

Then I wash the car with a wash bucket, grit guard, microfiber mitt, car wash and a small squirt of Optimum No Rinse. After doing a section, I rinse it with the sprayer. Dry as usual. Leave overnight and everything (including the floor) will be dry by morning.

This method will leave you with some water on the garage floor, but not as much as you would imagine, especially if you wring out the wash mitt a little. Any dirt/bugs can be swept out when the floor dries. It's not a perfect method, but I do prefer it to using only a duster and/or QD in that I feel it leaves fewer scratches.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I've been using Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax for over a year now. I don't use the spray bottle like Dan, but just use the sheepskin mitt to wash and quickly dry by sections. I use several buckets with grit guard. I don't have to use extra water beyond those in the bucket.

The solution is so slick that unless you're really careless, should not scratch the finish. It also leaves the car slick enough that I can use the duster most of the time until the car really needs a wash again.

In researching the product through Google, I found a number of videos that demo'd the product with a variety of methods (eg spray bottle).

I'm very satisfied with the results and the product.

Btw, I do the car in the garage also.
I also use the product in doing the wheels, which is not too bad now that I have the ceramic brakes on the front.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Just for clarification, Optimum No Rinse has 2 products "Wash and Shine" and "Wash and Wax."

Wash and Shine is intended to be only a lubricant and rinse aid. Wash and Wax contains carnauba and anti-UV polymers. I prefer to apply carnauba seperately in paste form, although I'm sure Wash and Wax works well too.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Good point..the wash and wax version is what allows me to go longer between washes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts