Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:Appears the MB design team has a Hyundai mole. Genesis front and Sonata side sculpture. I would rate the new look :td:.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Come on Boys ...make up your Mind...LOL

·
Registered
144 Posts
In with new, out with the old. That's what they say at least.

I don't know, I think I like W221 better than the W222. Granted, we still have yet to see official pictures but from the renderings, it just looks like a longer CLS. In fact, the front with the headlights are almost identical.

Going with that, I also think the R171 > R172.

I love Mercs, I truly do. What is happening though :confused::confused:

They go from creating timeless designs (e.g. R171 and W221) to big nosed-flat faces. They're trying to make their cars more aggressive, but it's just not working. Stick with the classy looks MB, we dig it. If we wanted performance and aggressiveness, we'd go to BMW. Despite being an MB forum, I think many will agree with that as well.

I will say that I think the new Cs and Es were done well. They previous models didn't age well. The W212 has been especially controversial, but definitely an necessary update from the W211 IMHO.

Do we know if the new S is going to be a 2013 model or released in 2013 as a 2014 model yet?

·
Registered
500 Posts
:confused:Appears the MB design team has a Hyundai mole. Genesis front and Sonata side sculpture. I would rate the new look :td:.

You're absolutely right on. Check out all those lines. I hated but then I never like any Mercedesmodels without the AMG body kit anyway.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK200
307 Posts
I heard that Maybach will cease production in 2013. A whole brand will be replaced with a gorgeous S-Class. However, from what I can see on this photo, they really should try harder. I cannot imagine how they will manage to modify the car shown above so it could replace the Maybach. With regret, I have to say that the new A-Class is more beautiful than the new SL!?! What is happening in the headlights' design in which MB were the greatest innovators? I can make a list of a dozen models from different brands which have similar "eyes" with the S-Class shown above, the SL, etc. :(

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55
415 Posts
The fact is that the European Union’s new “safety standards” for car-pedestrian collisions are having a major impact on car design. One of the major reasons for the change in the front end of the R172 vs. the R171 was the new standards. I also like the R171 front design over the R172. It seems like the EU standards group, even more so than the U.S. congress, sees their duty to make laws and standards, and the more they make the better they feel they are doing their jobs.

While American safety campaigners focus on law enforcement and driver training (good luck with that), the European Union has launched a technology-based campaign. By 2015, the EU demands that automakers’ products make collisions survivable when they occur between a pedestrian and a car moving at 40kph (24.9 mph). It’s a lofty goal that would save thousands of lives– that depends entirely on technology.............

To comply with the EU requirements, automakers are already adapting the design of their cars’ fronts— ground zero for pedestrian fatalities. Obviously, a smooth, soft front end is the way forward. That's why the styling of many European cars (e.g. Jaguar’s new XK) has already been changed, with higher, more easily deformable hoods. Much can be achieved by attention to details, within a comprehensive testing procedure.
LINK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.