Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2013 - R172 Reliability?

19K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  Jimbeaux 
#1 ·
How reliable has your R172 been and at how many miles?
Any major repairs or things breaking during ownership?

I am thinking of buying one, most of them have about 70 to 90k miles and I'm wondering why they are all selling sort of at the same mileage.

#2 ·
My car is a 2012 SLK 200, 44k miles on the clock. I do not live in the states but maybe my experience is of any help.

So far I've had the following issues:
Roof delamination. If you're not aware of this issue, basically look for cars with the glass roof and not the "plastic" one.
Had to replace the fuel pump at around 6k miles.
Engine mounts replaced at around 30k miles.
Had some sort of circuitry from the passengers seat replaced as it was giving me airbag errors.
Camshaft adjusters went bad at around 37 k miles. Known issue with 271 and 271 evo engines. I don't know about the 350 or the 55 engines, but so far IMHO the M271 engine present in 200 and 250 models is not reliable.

Edit:
I've also had a leaky coolant hose and the windshield washer reservoir pump went bad.

#3 ·
Reliability as in frequency of unscheduled service requirements I would say above average for MB standard.
As far as high cost items there are a few things to look out for:
1. Solid roof - avoid at all costs
2. Early red cars - also avoid unless already repainted

The mentioned adjuster noise is only on early M271 EVOs.

#4 ·
I have a 2012 SLK R172, 65,000 km (41,000 miles).

No issues at all. Car has been bulletproof.
No roof issues, no mechanical, engine or transmission issues.
No major rattles.

Car is not winter driven, and lives in a garage. Not generally driven in inclement weather, but if we are out and it happens, we don't rush to get it back indoors.

Several longer trips, including a 3000 mile round trip to Florida from southern Ontario.

#5 ·
It would be worth specifying an engine size.

The 350 & 55 engines are robust across the model range.
The roof & red paint issue hit several 172s.

The reply from VII7 is worth noting.
He is one of the main members that we call upon when trying to assist members.
Has a very wide and deep field of knowledge on the range.

Also, note that members come here to resolve issues.
That can make it look as though an issue is prevalent when it is not.

Few post threads to say 'My car is running well and I have had no issues'.

#7 ·
All R172 with solid roof will suffer "delamination" which requires partial replacement of roof (to a glass version). This was determined to be a material issue and not a manufacturing problem and as such all solid roofs will be affected (this is why the solid roof was discontinued).

#12 ·
2013 SLK350, 50,xxx miles

Only repairs done has been 2 cat converters replaced under CPO warranty at ~30K miles or thereabouts.... That has been it. Knock on wood.

Love the Magic Sky roof in mine but hardly ever use it... reason is I drive my car almost always top-down... But when I showed it off, people loved it cos it is a cute little trick MB added.

#13 ·
Wow! Thanks everyone for the quick replies. This is very informative and makes me comfortable with getting one knowing there is a community that is still alive unlike many other older cars.

I currently drive a G37, extremely reliable but less sexy. The community there has died so looking for parts and information has been pretty much the dealership.

It doesn't sound like the typical mercedes that breaks a lot (although i think they are still probably better than BMW and audi?)
A couple of cars I am looking into:

WAS - SLK250 before this thread, SLK350 or SLK55 AMG now
Z4 - very ugly compared to SLK
Miata - I kind of want to be able to get up to freeway speeds and survive if someone were to hit me
S2000 - over priced for what it is
Porsche boxster - soft top
Nissan GT-R - too expensive for just regular maintenance
F-type - too unreliable

#14 ·
55! r171! Bullet proof! :D :D
F1 Nose!

Since you are consdiering a 55, these might interest you
My mods - also check my albums in my profile
and my videos in the 'Driving Stories' section

Kleemann Supercharger:

https://www.slkworld.com/performance-mods-r171/390442-my-supercharger-adventure-begins.html

Kleemann ECU Tune and Headers:

https://www.slkworld.com/performanc...kleemann-ecu-tune-headers-downpipes-vids.html

Wavetrac Limited Slip Differential (LSD):

https://www.slkworld.com/performanc...mited-slip-differential-adventure-begins.html

Carbon Fiber Diffuser:

https://www.slkworld.com/performance-mods-r171/409529-my-carbon-fiber-diffuser-arrived-today.html

Carbon Fiber Air Brakes/Side Vents

https://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/419794-carbon-fiber-air-brakes-side-vents.html

Driving stories section:

https://www.slkworld.com/driving-stories/

My albums:

https://www.slkworld.com/members/jbanks15-albums.html

FREE GIFT! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). If looking for a car, get the options before you buy!

https://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

#17 ·
2014 SLK55 bought used October 2018 with 47K, now 51K. Dealer serviced from new, I’ve seen the records, nothing worth mentioning. Daily driver, if I’ve got to go, its got to take me, cold, snow, rain or shine. Roof still quiet and water tight. You’re going to love getting one of your very own.

#18 ·
2013 SLK55, 39,400 miles:

2000 miles - wiring problem with right DRL repaired
10,057 miles - software update to correct erroneous "add oil" warning message
19,456 miles - windshield washer tank replaced due to sensor failure
23,787 miles - entered limp home mode due to fuel injector error, problem cleared after engine restart
32,638 miles - exhaust flap replaced
32,920 miles - rear brake pads replaced; front sway bar end links replaced due to leaking grease

It's on its 3rd set of summer rear tires and second set of fronts; still on its first set of winter tires.
Total cost for maintenance and repairs so far is $6,268.95 USD.
Fuel economy to date averages 21.98 MPG, and total fuel cost is $5,720.32 USD.

#19 ·
2012 250 48k miles on the clock.
No faults until last week when entire air conditioning system packed up. £1000 to sort inc. parts/labour - lovely.
I ran numerous cheapo brands as company cars running up to 150k miles & never ever had a/c problems.
Give me a Ford any day except they don't do a convertible anymore.

#23 · (Edited)
To be Fair, my friend has a 2017 F-Type Jag and it’s reliability seems similar or better than most Mercedes. However, when reading comparisons, most professional reviewers compare the F-Type with the AMG-GT, Corvette, or 911 not the SLK. All that said, I love my SLK 350.
To answer your question, I bought it with 33K miles and am at 41K miles now with no issues at all (knocking on all things wooden).:wink:

#24 ·
2013 55 with 23000 miles when I got it 3 years ago, now 27000. No issues other than a wheel speed sensor which need replacing. Great car, battery drains quickly and it has a noise that makes your right foot heavy, reducing fuel economy but increasing the smile on your face !

#28 ·
Picked up La Bête June 2018 in Denver with a little under 8k on the odometer and drove to the KC area. Now just shy of 20k and have driven it to Maryland and back and a few other long trips. The car hasn't missed a beat. Comfortable to drive long distances and just hums along. Good mileage (~28 mpg) on the Interstate. My only repair was after putting my elbow through the center rear speaker cover. :frown:

I am a believer that sports cars need to be driven. Letting them sit are problems waiting to happen. With driving comes maintenance. You can't do the former without doing the latter.

As was stated by another poster in another thread (sorry, don't remember who), reading SLKWorld when considering to buy an SLK can be a scary experience. Problems tend to fill the space rather than the joy of owning a SLK.

#31 ·
This is true, same with other “review” threads for any product. People tend to take the time to review when they are angry and dissatisfied, not when they are happy with a product. The SLK, in my opinion, is the same way. Four 1,000 miles trips so far in mine without any problems.
That is an issue that I keep highlighting.
Another is going to a meet before purchase.

It is amazing what chatting to owners reveals.

I attend many meets and the common feedback is that owners love their cars.

A visit to other marque forums reveals just how good these cars are.

Not forgetting, if you are buying an older car you will find wear and tear.
But, you should also find any SLK/C issues have been addressed,
or at the very least, are known.

The number of owners that buy as a weekend toy and then find they don't want to garage it
in the week is significant.

#32 ·
Avel Du, that is a great point. I have learned more from the ownership collective than some dealer technicians know; at least the techs that don’t visit the forums themselves. I need to locate some meets near me and attend myself. Anything close to Baton Rouge or New Orleans? Plenty of Mercedes around here for sure.

#33 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.