Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,my wife is looking at a late 2012 one owner with full mb service history slk 200 amg sport in the morning,anything specific to look out for/any known falts or problems,cars done 36,500 miles,thanks for any help!

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
get your free datacard to see what it has?

·
Registered
107 Posts
thats the same model as mine :-D I've only had it since the middle of November last year, had no real problems in that short time other than the paint pimpling issue (see http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r172-general-discussion/294489-paint-issues.html) but I think that only affects the Fire Opel (Red to everyone else!) colour, so avoid that unless u want to have to go through the hassle of taking it back to Mercedes for a respray, which is a shame because it's beautiful in that shade.

Mine's got summer tyres on it which can be a bit slippery when they are cold and wet while doing a quick manouver, but I'm sure your wife is probably much more of a sensible driver than I am ;-)

The only other minor thing worth noting is that when I went to have a look at it before buying, I popped open the bonnet and the whole release switch came away in my hand and was left dangling, not quite sure why, they fixed it before I bought it and it's been fine since, don't know if thats a common problem or I just don't know my own strength.

Hope that helps.

Mines in for it's next service on Tuesday, not expecting any issues but fingers crossed anyway.

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats the same model as mine :-D I've only had it since the middle of November last year, had no real problems in that short time other than the paint pimpling issue (see http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r172-general-discussion/294489-paint-issues.html) but I think that only affects the Fire Opel (Red to everyone else!) colour, so avoid that unless u want to have to go through the hassle of taking it back to Mercedes for a respray, which is a shame because it's beautiful in that shade.

Mine's got summer tyres on it which can be a bit slippery when they are cold and wet while doing a quick manouver, but I'm sure your wife is probably much more of a sensible driver than I am ;-)

The only other minor thing worth noting is that when I went to have a look at it before buying, I popped open the bonnet and the whole release switch came away in my hand and was left dangling, not quite sure why, they fixed it before I bought it and it's been fine since, don't know if thats a common problem or I just don't know my own strength.

Hope that helps.

Mines in for it's next service on Tuesday, not expecting any issues but fingers crossed anyway.
Hi Chris,thanks for your feedback,I was aware of the fire opal red paint issue and the car we are looking at is palladium silver with Bengal red leather,good luck with your service visit!

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
Nice to have an electronic copy, no? :D

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Hi Chris,thanks for your feedback,I was aware of the fire opal red paint issue and the car we are looking at is palladium silver with Bengal red leather,good luck with your service visit!
There is a post in the red pimples thread suggesting that silver may also be affected.

As far as I'm aware there are no serious issues with the R172 but if the car has halogen headlamps make sure you drive it in the dark as the headlamps are not great. The alloy wheels are easily damaged so if they're not perfect get the dealer to replace it as it'll cost you a fortune.

Unless the car has electric seats there is no lumbar support so make sure you drive it for a good 30 minutes to ensure you are comfy in the seats.

If the car doesn't have the panoramic roof option, check if you can see through the roof (is it black glass) to the solid roof liner underneath. If so, you can buy a £160 roof liner and get a very cheap pano roof upgrade. If the car has a solid roof then there is a known issue of the plastic panels delaminating and leaking. Mercedes response to this is to replace it with a glass roof but with your car being well out of the warranty period, I'd probably steer clear of a solid panel roof car, just in case.

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a post in the red pimples thread suggesting that silver may also be affected.

As far as I'm aware there are no serious issues with the R172 but if the car has halogen headlamps make sure you drive it in the dark as the headlamps are not great. The alloy wheels are easily damaged so if they're not perfect get the dealer to replace it as it'll cost you a fortune.

Unless the car has electric seats there is no lumbar support so make sure you drive it for a good 30 minutes to ensure you are comfy in the seats.

If the car doesn't have the panoramic roof option, check if you can see through the roof (is it black glass) to the solid roof liner underneath. If so, you can buy a £160 roof liner and get a very cheap pano roof upgrade. If the car has a solid roof then there is a known issue of the plastic panels delaminating and leaking. Mercedes response to this is to replace it with a glass roof but with your car being well out of the warranty period, I'd probably steer clear of a solid panel roof car, just in case.
Hi,thanks for your feedback,my wife currently has an r170 slk230k with halogen headlamps so know what they're like(hard to find an r172 slk200 with zenons),wasn't aware of the leaking roof issue so thanks for the heads up.

·
Banned
973 Posts
Dealer has just replaced all 4 alloys on my 21k miles 2102 for just over £400. 2 wheels had suffered moderate delamination around the centre caps, the other two the delamination was very slight indeed. The cause is the use of a metal centering rod when changing tyres which damage the lacquer around the edges of the centre cap hole & allow water ingress. Mercedes operatives always use rubber/plastic equivalent.
The ride IS hard but a small gel-filled cushion on the squab & another as a lumber support greatly aids comfort but you never forget you're in a hard suspended sports acr which hates potholes & does not give you a smooth ride.
Roofs can leak but it is a known problem & dealers have been known to replace seals FOC. My translucent plastic roof was exchanged for a glass one, but then the car was still in warranty.

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dealer has just replaced all 4 alloys on my 21k miles 2102 for just over £400. 2 wheels had suffered moderate delamination around the centre caps, the other two the delamination was very slight indeed. The cause is the use of a metal centering rod when changing tyres which damage the lacquer around the edges of the centre cap hole & allow water ingress. Mercedes operatives always use rubber/plastic equivalent.
The ride IS hard but a small gel-filled cushion on the squab & another as a lumber support greatly aids comfort but you never forget you're in a hard suspended sports acr which hates potholes & does not give you a smooth ride.
Roofs can leak but it is a known problem & dealers have been known to replace seals FOC. My translucent plastic roof was exchanged for a glass one, but then the car was still in warranty.
Thanks for your thoughts-wife is use to stiff suspension,I have an A45amg:wink:

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
nope, need 17 digit vin

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Test drive today

Test drove and viewed the car earlier,very clean and drove as it should,everything was checked and all working ok,one small chip on windscreen in drivers eyeline that I think can be repaired under insurance excess for a small fee if it failed any future mot.A litho ugh the car had to be moved around/idled on our arrival before taking it for a test drive after returning having done around 6 miles the obd showed only 24.8 mpg( the car got upto normal running temperature and although I used kick down to check cars response I didn't drive it like I'd stole it!),what average per tank are current r172 200 b/e owners getting as mb say 43.5 average which looks hard to get near,thanks for any help!

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Test drove and viewed the car earlier,very clean and drove as it should,everything was checked and all working ok,one small chip on windscreen in drivers eyeline that I think can be repaired under insurance excess for a small fee if it failed any future mot.A litho ugh the car had to be moved around/idled on our arrival before taking it for a test drive after returning having done around 6 miles the obd showed only 24.8 mpg( the car got upto normal running temperature and although I used kick down to check cars response I didn't drive it like I'd stole it!),what average per tank are current r172 200 b/e owners getting as mb say 43.5 average which looks hard to get near,thanks for any help!
If the chip wouldn't pass an MOT then it's illegal for the dealer to sell you the car. I'd get them to fix it before you take it off their hands.

There is no possibility the engine was warmed through after 6 miles. It will bring the water temperature up quickly but that's just the cooling water, not the temperature of the engine or the oil.

In my experience it takes very little standing time to absolutely destroy the average fuel economy figure. If you want fuel economy, buy the CDi 250. 45 mpg genuine minimum day-to-day and 55-65mpg feasible on a long run. It has the same power output as the SLK250 petrol at 204PS but massively more torque (a whopping 370lbft/500Nm). Suffice to say it goes well!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.