Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 SLK280 came with a 2007 DVD (in the trunk) and that is WAY out of date so I plan to fork over about $250 for the 2012 Navteq disk. Does anyone have this latest disk and...how do you like it? Is it a lot better than my 2007 disk? $250 is a pretty penny but if you all think it's worth it then I shall order one! I DO have a Garmin Nuvi 250w that I love but there is nowhere to mount it in my SLK that works for me.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I don't have a Navi so I can't really help, but if I just bought an SLK my first $250 would go toward a SmartTop !

Reactions: hihi1236

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG w/P30
178 Posts
I'm now using the 2011 Nav DVD. It is a huge improvement over the 2005 DVD my car had when I bought it. I used to bring my portable Garmin with me when I thought I would need nav aids. i don't do that anymore.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I went from 2007 to 2011 as well, and it's enough of a difference in Houston that I think it was worth it. There is also a minor software as well on the '11 disk, that seemed to improve routing a bit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2012 Nav disk

Tanks for the tips guys I went ahead and ordered a 2012 disk from Navteq. Will have it by May 21 or so and will then post here what I think of it. I'm a map geek...have been for years...have an extensive road map collection so my expectations will be high!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went from 2007 to 2011 as well, and it's enough of a difference in Houston that I think it was worth it. There is also a minor software as well on the '11 disk, that seemed to improve routing a bit.
Does it upgrade the software when you put the newest disc in? :confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Different POI, better routing, and I think the ability to better identify POI's enroute. The better routing was actually the only one I really appreciated - on top of more update road information.
Oh I see! :rb but does it look different after you put the newer disk in it?
like the newer one shows you the POIs on the next exit when you're on the high way. and what about the COMAND update disk? What does it do? does it also make a different?:confused: or does the newest nav DVD does everything?
Thanks!!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
"Look and feel" between the navigation disks has pretty much stayed the same. I don't think updating the Navigation computer - which is really what the "DVD Drive" in the boot is - changes the appearance of the display on COMAND. It does change some of the menu options, etc, but not the overall "look and feel".

There is a COMAND update from mid 2006 that does update things a bit for Navigation display - most noticeable is the addition of the "ETA" option on the main map display. It also is the same update that removes the engineering backdoor to configure the VIM settings.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Is there a simple way to see how updated the map data and the software is on my 2006 SLK?
Eject the mapping DVD from the drive in the boot, and read off the version number. The later versions include any software/firmware upgrades on the DVD, along with upgraded mapping data.

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG w/P30
178 Posts
You will need to update your head unit firmware before you get updated Nav data. I think I still have my head unit update CD somewhere. Let me find it and get back to you.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,205 Posts
We wish you luck. Woolly will state shortly and there are threads on the subject, that 'rogue' cds will damage and make your head inoperable.

Let us know how you fair.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,205 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.