I would like to go to the Bremen SLK Factory on

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been various discussions regarding a European SLK tour next year. I've received confirmation from the Mercedes factory in Bremen that they would be willing to host an extended tour of the SLK production facility, with lunch afterwards in the 'Gottlieb Restaurant'. I had a factory tour when I picked up my 350 and it is fascinating. There is also a museum and retail shop on site, all in all, it makes for a good day out.

I will need to get an idea of numbers interested, and times when people would want to go, and what you would like to combine it with - Nurburgring? Black Forrest? Austria? Stelvio Pass or whatever.

If we can get some numbers and dates sorted, then I can start organising discounts on ferries, accomodation etc.

Please add your thoughts to this thread.

·
17,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there are people from the States interested in going, and there are no spare places in SLK's we can probably organise 'Loan Cars' for the trip - I'm not sure if my Landy could keep up with the SLK's on the Autobahn though:)

·
Registered
547 Posts
We might be interested depending upon the timing.

A couple years ago I found a cheap flight from New York to Koln ($130 rt) and we went for a long weekend. We got a Hertz BMW 730d and drove all over the Rhine Valley. It was kind of too big driving through the little towns, but very comfortable for sightseeing. No SLKs at the time, leaving the airport I saw that Avis rents Boxsters, but manual only which was a problem for us.

For those of us renting cars, they're not allowed on the 'ring, so I might suggest tickets for the BMW Ring Taxi.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
We're very interested but need specific days ASAP, already have 2 trips to South America, 2 to Canada, and 1 to Europe + a handful of domestics already scheduled, calendar is filling up fast. I think only John has worse travel than we do.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I think only John has worse travel than we do.
:(

28 November 2009 Saturday
BRITISH AIRWAYS Flight: BA 15
From : London Heathrow, UNITED KINGDOM DEPARTING AT 21:55 MEAL Flight time: 12:35
To : Singapore, SINGAPORE ARRIVING AT 18:30 on November 29, 2009 6,763 Miles
Departure Terminal: TERMINAL 3
Arrival Terminal: TERMINAL 1

2 December 2009 Wednesday
BRITISH AIRWAYS Flight: BA 16
From : Singapore, SINGAPORE DEPARTING AT 23:20 MEAL Flight time: 13:45
To : London Heathrow, UNITED KINGDOM ARRIVING AT 05:05 on December 03, 2009 6,763 Miles
Departure Terminal: TERMINAL 1
Arrival Terminal: TERMINAL 3

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
:(

28 November 2009 Saturday
BRITISH AIRWAYS Flight: BA 15
From : London Heathrow, UNITED KINGDOM DEPARTING AT 21:55 MEAL Flight time: 12:35
To : Singapore, SINGAPORE ARRIVING AT 18:30 on November 29, 2009 6,763 Miles
Departure Terminal: TERMINAL 3
Arrival Terminal: TERMINAL 1

2 December 2009 Wednesday
BRITISH AIRWAYS Flight: BA 16
From : Singapore, SINGAPORE DEPARTING AT 23:20 MEAL Flight time: 13:45
To : London Heathrow, UNITED KINGDOM ARRIVING AT 05:05 on December 03, 2009 6,763 Miles
Departure Terminal: TERMINAL 1
Arrival Terminal: TERMINAL 3
Ugggg, those are the killers, you spend more time in the air than at the destination and your brain ends up over some body of water. Sorry, :hijacked:

·
Registered
72 Posts
We are interested in this as we were in early stage of planning 2 week trip in SLK next year. We were heading through Black Forest to Slovenia to start with and including the Grossglockner in Austria. Then across to French Alps and Verdon gorge before heading to Pyrennes in Catalunya.

Our dates were going to be early June.

I have organized some motorcycle trips over the years and ridden many roads in the Alps. I know some good places to stay and visit and THE roads to ride as I am sure many other do too.

Steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
For USA friends

Sixt car hire at Frankfurt airport - BMW Z4 or Mercedes SLK rental for 10 days is $1200 for 1st June to 11th June 2010.

For your info.

You could always rent a Skoda. :burnout:
:):)

·
17,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We had this problem on the last UK meet - trying to organise a weekend to do it. No one was sure of when they could/wanted to do it. In the end, John(UK-C200) just said Aug 22nd, and 15 SLK's and 3 Corvettes turned up. It's early days yet, but I'd prefer to do it out of school holiday time - roads are emptier, and ferries accomodation etc. are Much cheaper.

I would suggest that we try and agree on a time, date, and rough itinerary by mid January 2010.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Why would I rent one? Then I'd have to have an AUTOMATIC! (or do they rent manuals in Europe?)
Why would I rent one? Then I'd have to have an MANUAL! (or do they rent automatics in Europe?) :biglaugh::biglaugh:
Absolutely, every rental I've had in Europe has been a manual.R) You can get an automatic but they're very rare (need to order ahead) and very expensive!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's early days yet, but I'd prefer to do it out of school holiday time - roads are emptier, and ferries accomodation etc. are Much cheaper.
My experience is that early June or the second week of September are the quietest times. Of course July is hottest but I have been in both the other times in 90 degree F temps and in snow. It also snows in July of course at high altitude.
R)

·
Registered
165 Posts
when?

I might have missed this but do we have a preferred date for this?

I'm on holiday from 27 July to 10 August so might struggle with June or September but I'd really like to come along.

Do you have any feeling for the number of days?

John

·
17,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi John, look at the 1st post in the thread!! - at the moment, it's at a very early stage - no dates or itinerary yet - if you have specific times when you can/cant go or ideas where you would like to go after the factory, post them up here. As more people put ideas in, we'll be closer to making a decision, then either come to a decision or put a poll up here to get the consensus. We do need to get some ideas fairly quickly (within about 6-8 weeks ish) though. Hope you can make it.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts