Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
4,945 Posts
Just reading feedback on it .
Quality made product but no one saying performance diff .
In the feedback .
But most are for delivery speed etc .

Well cheap for a quick boost req pulley removal tool to extract i believe .

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
4,945 Posts
Yes they do recommend a remap to give 48hp !! :tu:

Well a simple job with gains for a few quid .

Hopefully wont stress anything as such .:tu:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had bought one but never used it..the quality is good..but pulling yours out and putting this on might be tricky. The problem with embeded pulleys is that they tend to slip!! (stock is also empeded ofcourse but with ''factory quality'')..For me it was easier to change the head of my 2680 (72mm pulley) with the head of a 2780 (65mm). With pulley and remap dont expect more than 40 hp (35 is what most people get!). boost will rise from 0,68 to 0,84 bar..(''successfull'' remaping is requred to keep the pressure all the way to the rpm limit)..good luck:rb

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I echo Goldfish. Not a lot of extra, but a bit. Whether you actually notice it or not is debatable. As already said, a nice increase for little money - especially when you consider that Kleeman only claim a 30HP increase for their product that costs £1K !
Do tell your insurance company if you go ahead with it - a pulley change is the first thing assessors look for...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take into account that kleeman k-box will provide you a boost of 1 bar (even without pulley change) by chaning the way the that the by pass valve of the supercharger opens. There are cheaper equilevants of map or maf cheaters (below 100 euro).. but a successfull combination is also tricky.. also cars ecu turn to readopt and not beeing fooled after a while beacuse it also uses λ sensor to control the by pass valve..
My suggestion
1) buy a 2780 and sell yours 2680 or 2380 (keep your rotors if they are better and combine and sell the rest)..that should make a cost difference of not more than 100 euro 2)custom remap 400 euro result:200+/-5 hp
or
2780(or pulley)+remap+kbox(or map/maf cheaters)->215 +/-5 hp. From this point on the cost doesnt worth the gains (highest power I've heard by keeping the m45 was at 237hp:biglaugh:)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Mine is remapped (without pulley) by a very reputable mapper in my country. I dyno'd on 151 hp and got remapped to 184 hp. If I'm not mistaken the facelift version (184 hp) is almost identical with biggest difference in ECU, so remap (without pulley) to 184 hp shouldn't be much of a problem.

May I ask which is the fastest way (demounting engine bay parts) to change the pulley?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Mine is remapped (without pulley) by a very reputable mapper in my country. I dyno'd on 151 hp and got remapped to 184 hp. If I'm not mistaken the facelift version (184 hp) is almost identical with biggest difference in ECU, so remap (without pulley) to 184 hp shouldn't be much of a problem.

May I ask which is the fastest way (demounting engine bay parts) to change the pulley?
This was the way as I've done it:

http://www.slkworld.com/performance-mods-r171/159465-here.html

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Take into account that kleeman k-box will provide you a boost of 1 bar (even without pulley change) by chaning the way the that the by pass valve of the supercharger opens. There are cheaper equilevants of map or maf cheaters (below 100 euro).. but a successfull combination is also tricky.. also cars ecu turn to readopt and not beeing fooled after a while beacuse it also uses λ sensor to control the by pass valve..
My suggestion
1) buy a 2780 and sell yours 2680 or 2380 (keep your rotors if they are better and combine and sell the rest)..that should make a cost difference of not more than 100 euro 2)custom remap 400 euro result:200+/-5 hp
or
2780(or pulley)+remap+kbox(or map/maf cheaters)->215 +/-5 hp. From this point on the cost doesnt worth the gains (highest power I've heard by keeping the m45 was at 237hp:biglaugh:)
Hi GOLDFISH,

. Do you know were can I get a K-Box ?

Here in Portugal, not much people do remapps on Petrol Engines. :td:
Most of remappers are willing to do it only on Diesel engines, and the ones that Know how to do it properly on Petrol Engines ask to much money to do it, in my opinion...

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
My suggestion
or

When you say: "buy a 2780 and sell the 2680" are you refering to the supercharger itself ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
the numbers are referring to the different 'generations' of the MP45 tha mercedes used, so its actually A2710902080 or..,2380,2680,2780..and then turbo finally came..from 2380 and on the use a spring in gearing that reduces the vibrations..but in the 2380 was useless and always broke (used untill 2006) 2680 and 2780 were better (with 2780 believed to be unbreakable). The 2780 also used a 65mm pulley instead of the 72mm of the previous. 2080 will stand up to 19500rpm , 2380 want stand even the stock pulley..for the k box just mail kleeman..they will post..finally remember with out ecu flash..you wont gain anyhting at all!! if you just changed the pulley..although you had some gains (up to 15 hp) below 5000rpm..above that your total power will be the same or less than stock

·
Registered
20 Posts
here are some extra comment since i dont have enough posts to answer personnal mails yet :2080 used to be the best solution for upegrading before 2780 appears. 2080 is old school and doent have a spring at al, instead it uses a coupler. Mercedes changed to spring cuase with time couplers detrits and creates noise, also it can not absord vibrasions as the spring. the only chance you will have an issue is if you want to go above 19.500 rpm..in that case the ''plastic'' that coupler is made of can not take the heat polymerizes and melts. to find how fast u will go just do 175/pulley diameter x motor rpm for example for stock 175/72x6220=14500....the usual set up is 175/62x6220=175500..and if want to go all the way 195/62x7000=22000 (double pulley and rpm limit raised) you will need a least 19.500 to se 1 bar..if you want to go below 19000 go and do it with no worries..eventually you will have to cange a coupler beacause deterioration will come much faster .but they are really cheap (check e bay).maybe changing one with the pulley as well as charger oil is the best way to go
In the nest image you see the coupler..the nose is the place that you have to change if you want to go from 2680 to 2780...its really simple just take of the 4 screws innstead of messing with th pulley

1 - 20 of 41 Posts