Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried an ERG (exhaust return gas) blanking or removal on an M271 1.8 supercharged motor? What are the computer system management issues and can they be overcome. And, what about the vacuum hoses, plug them, or redirect them? I understand the emmission issues will effect many of your thoughts but is not an issue where I live. Look forward to your mechanical knowledge.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ERG blocking plates made up and fitted. Working well, a small bit more go under the right foot, as supercharger now only pumping pure cold compressed fresh air and not half recycled Carbon-monoxide.

·
Premium Member
10,745 Posts
Sounds interesting .

So , have you found any issues with the CPU management/fuel etc?

What sort of difference have you noted power wise ?

Do you have any pics to explain what work/parts are involved ?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I too am interested in the details of this mod. Our direct port engines would seem to be at risk of carbon fouling at the intake valves. And yet EGR delete mods or Catch Cans seem to be surprisingly rare topics here. In fact I am genuinely surprised we don't hear of more carbon buildup problems among MB owners - per the forums lotsa BMW owners are plagued with this. Porsche too.

tn

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happy to accommodate. I will get some pics taken and loaded soon. No engine light displayed and I have done both city driving and some foot down action to try to have the engine warning light to react . Power gain minimal but there is something there that wasn't there before. My guess would be 0.5 of a horsepower ( a spoofteenth), but better for the engine, and my future plans. What made me think of doing this was 4th he carbon in the intercooler pipe when I took it off. I just thought that the intercooler was no place to allow carbon to deposit.

Regards Greg Bee

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think there is a misunderstanding in this thread, m271 SLK engine does NOT have an EGR system. Only the CGI upgraded version does but it was not available on the SLK. Most probably you modified your secondary air injection system AIR which can not bring any improved performance by deleting it. The secondary air injection system role is to somewhat reduce pollution by introducing clean air into the exhaust until the cats and O2sensors (to be "politically correct" they are actually wideband sensors) gets hot enough to let the engine run the air-fuel mixture right from the emission standpoint. The secondary air injection is activated for a short period when the engine is warming up (usually no more than a minute) by a vacuum solenoid near the coils in our case. Assuming that your vacuum system and AIR are both good and not injecting air when it's not supposed to then you have no reason to mess around with the engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, here goes. Sorry I'm not one for sitting endless hours in front of a computer playing forum boffin, it's not for everyone.

First goal was to remove the manifold heat sheild.

Some of the photo's will look odd, and out of order to what I am saying, and what you are seeing, as I did the work and then took pictures.
"I hate getting my phone camera dirty".

So, to get the manifold heat sheild off I had to loosen and remove the bolts to the ERG valve body to make room for the heat sheild to come out. The bolt at the back of the heat sheild is bit of a bugga to get to, and don't drop it or you will spend most your time removing under-body plates to find it.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next is to remove the ERG Metal Tube. Working under the manifold was not easy but using the feel with your fingers you will work it out. You get the advantage I didn't have, as my pictures ( this was at a later date ) that have the manifold removed. You should not remove the manifild to do this simple job.

Be careful once again not to drop a bolt nor the flange gasket.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Using the ERG Tube Flange Gasket, I made a cardboard template to make my two blanking plates from.

My level of accuracy was quite general, not to Mercedes engineering standard unfortunately.

You need to make two Flange Blanking Plates obviously, mine were made from 3 or 5 mm plate. Just enough to last the time and the exhaust being blocked not to burn through the plate. I covered them with black heat paint before installing them.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now reassemble the Manifold Heat Shield. You can't drive with this left off, as there is a plastic fuel delivery tube just above the manifold. Convenient place to have it, if you want a barbeque.

Remember that back bolt is a pig of a thing. I used a bendable clawed picker/finder tool to get the thread started, while I held the sheild in place with the bolt holes lined up, then went back to the socket wrench to tighten it up.

After that, close the bonnet and put the pedal to the metal.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Car has been driven for approx 6 months with the blanking plates and two dealer services. No service or engine check lights incurred. Car is going hard with the Kleeman headers and supplied Kleeman euro 3 hi-flow catalytic converter with standard exhaust. I think it was an easy all positive thing to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts