Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
I hate convertibles with big boots. It looks a lot like the Toyota Solara and the Pontiac G6 convertible from the side.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's just nasty, a rip-off of both the SLK and that awful Lexus with a bit of Audi TT thrown in. When will the Japanese learn to design and build something from scratch which doesn't owe its parentage to half a dozen European manufacturers!

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Sick of seeing G3x's. Can't go 5 minutes without seeing one. I am parked between two in the office garage right now. They are like McDonalds...over 1 Billion served. I prefer something a little more unique...like an SLK.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's just nasty, a rip-off of both the SLK and that awful Lexus with a bit of Audi TT thrown in. When will the Japanese learn to design and build something from scratch which doesn't owe its parentage to half a dozen European manufacturers!
Sad to say but ideas seem to always be revisted/remade. Yes the S-class has many class leading / first elements, but the mentality that Japanese car makers can't make a car worth anything is what lead for the surprise of the LS400.

Sick of seeing G3x's. Can't go 5 minutes without seeing one. I am parked between two in the office garage right now. They are like McDonalds...over 1 Billion served. I prefer something a little more unique...like an SLK.
If I made cars, I would rather have billion served :) SLK's are niche cars. I like unique cars as well (seeing as I drive a rare car as well), it helps define the usual from the unusual.

I'm not here to cause a stir but with almost all car forums I'm a part of, there are def. some strict views and sometimes it's nice to see the other side. If you browse Honda forums, it's always about the reliability. If you browse BMW forums, it's always about comparisons with other European cars and their supposed performance. I haven't got a good read from MB yet but I can pretty much guess the SLK community is more tight knit and down to earth than the general population of MB owners. The same is apparent in the bmw Z forum.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I probably came off a little short and terse above. I should make it clear, I am generally a fan of Infiniti. I have had 3 QX4 sport utilities in a row. Great vehicle for us. And while I was driving Lexus GS's, I did drive the G35 when it was introduced. Not a terrible car...just too uninspired and mass market for me.

Obviously - if you are Infiniti - you do want to sell a billion :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
^I knew you weren't being mean in anyway.

I agree though, this car is actually pretty dissmal looking. I haven't seen pics of the top up but I'm sure it's even worse like the 350z.

I think cars that start out as convertibles look good while retro-fitted cars don't.

i.e slk, s2000, boxster.

·
Registered
126 Posts
We looked at the G35 before picking up the SLK. What turned us off was the high inside door sills and the placement of the upper point of the seat belts (which are in the back seat). I also hated the sound of the exhaust. But one thing I really liked about the G35 that I wish other cars would incorporate is that the gauges adjust up and down with the steering wheel - you never will adjust the steering wheel to where it blocks the view of the gauges (like I tend to do in both my X5 and the SLK).

And as mentioned before, the SLK would be sweet with ventilated seats. I can't tell you how many times that I have driven with the top down on a warm day and gotten out with a sweaty back.

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
And as mentioned before, the SLK would be sweet with ventilated seats. I can't tell you how many times that I have driven with the top down on a warm day and gotten out with a sweaty back.
Ditto .

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Nice design (obviously "stolen" from BMW's 3 series). But if I were Infinite, I'd be embarrased by how "clunky" the mechanics look.

They could have at least spruced up the unveil with a couple of pretty girls. IMHO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.