Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a couple of different SLK55's and would like to get some input from members on which I should focus on. Cost is approximately the same (~$30K-$32K). The main differences is the 2008 has the P030 performance package, ~43K miles, and a single cd system with navigation. The 2010 does not have the P030 package, has ~63K miles, and has the 6 CD Multimedia package. Having capacity for 6 CDs doesn't mean a lot to me, since I probably won't be listening to CDs anyway, but I think the navigation system in the 2010 uses a hard drive rather than the DVD based system in the 2008.

All input welcome!

Thanks.

Alan

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,091 Posts
Alan, as per my pm, post the vins of cars you are interested in for a list of their options such as nav or comand versus audio 20, etc

This will help you decide

one car is facelifted and the other is not

Jeff

·
94,091 Posts
and more info on those r171s to confuse

owner's and maintenance manuals great R171 info:

http://www.billsden.org/mercedes/slk/docs/#dtb

your brochure:
http://www.ragtop.org/mbbrochures/index.html

mods you should do:
smarttop
clear or tinted side markers
shorty antenna
led license plate bulbs
led parking lights
carbon fiber on the C pillars
oem windscreen or lighted/etched windscreen
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car).

·
94,091 Posts
Aw be nice...He is a newbie and askin'! :D:D

·
94,091 Posts
I know, Ahhhhh the diplomat surfaces!!!! :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're comparing an awesome braking system on a performance car to CD changer? Seriously? :confused:
No...simply stating the differences that I saw. I take it that you would favor the 2008 with P030 over the 2010 without?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jeff, appreciate the links!

As soon as I fill that empty spot in my garage, I'll start looking into the mods you suggested.

Alan

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I would also go for the SLK55 with the performance package.

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,018 Posts
Assuming the rest of the specs of the cars are broadly similar, I'd go for the 2008 with the P030 package - the Nav unit can be changed out to a later one (or different all together) if that is a major concern ...

Far easier than adding the big brakes etc to the Non P030 car

Cheers
Sean

·
94,091 Posts
datacards posted. the 2010 vin says it is a 2006?

842 is the 2008
the other looks like a 2006? when it should be a 2010 per op

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ Fair enough, but I wasn't intending to be snippy, merely incredulous. I was forgetting his E-Type experience, no go = no stop required! ;)

Alan, you will need all the stopping you can get if you intend to drive a 55 in the spirit it was created.
Got you're PM Deafy, thanks! BTW, you're not wrong about the E-type!

Feedback I received so far is pretty overwhelming in favor of the 2008 with P030. I was leaning in that direction anyway. The decision just became much easier anyway because when I checked back on the 2010, it was gone.

Now to nab the 2008 before it gets away...

·
Air Suspension Manager
631 Posts
I have paid $50k for a 2010 SLK200
Go get your 55 and drive it lke you stole it :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
The 08 with the big brakes and 20,000 less miles vs a 2 years newer 2010 with a CD changer? No brainer. The 08. Assuming both cars are in the same condition.

I have the CD changer in my SLK55 and I hardly ever use it. But it does completely fill the glove box. I'm listening to satellite radio all the time. Or I have the audio turned off completely to listen to the engine and the sounds of the world around me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To close this out, I now own the 2008 SL55 with P030. I just got back from the road trip and still have a smile on my face. The test drive was a lot of fun. Wow, that car can get up and go.

The dealer is going to detail the car and have scuff marks on one of the wheels repaired and will ship the car to me. I should have it by Wednesday of next week. He also ordered a set of replacement carbon fiber interior trim. Several pieces of the trim had come off the car. According to him, replacement is a simple peel and stick process, so I decided to have the trim sent to me instead of leaving the car with him so that he could replace when it comes in. He said that this was a common problem and wouldn't be surprised if the new trim came loose later due to heat in the car causing the glue to release. Anyone know of a better solution for gluing the trim on so that it doesn't come off again?

Now I'll need to start checking into those mods that have been recommended.

Thanks everyone!

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well done Alan. I'm sure you won't be disappointed in the least. Look forward to seeing photos! :tu:

BYW, did you get a warranty?
Thanks Deafy.

I'll take some photos and post when the car is delivered.

No, it didn't have a warranty. It ran great and I couldn't find anything wrong other than a couple of small cosmetic issues, so decided to go ahead with the purchase.
I'll have to say that the acceleration took me by surprise. It's been a long time since I drove a car that was that much fun!

·
94,091 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts