Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to pick up the car today, got everything done and was ready to drive away. I walked around to get in and was looking at it for the first time in the sunlight, and the rear brake caught my eye...solid rotor with a 2-piston caliper and no AMG logo...

I said, hmmmmm, that's certainly not what the SLK55 AMG claims to have. The front is a perforated rotor, but only 4-piston caliper. Well, needless to say, I went back inside to inquire about it. All of the literature still says 13.4" perforated 6-piston front and 13.0" perforated 4-piston rear, and that's obviously not what's on the car. Well, we all agreed we'd never seen something like this before, so they were going to inquire about it and I left the car there. I just got a call now from the dealer, they talked to some NE-region factory rep that is telling them they've changed for 2008. The fronts are now perforated 13.6" 4-piston and the rears are solid rotor 2-piston, which makes no sense to me. Supposedly this is the latest technology, but it's certainly odd if it's the case.

I PM'd/IM'd Dan about it, and he's going to check on it for me. Thoughts?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
I just checked the MBUSA website, it says ventilated and perforated front brakes and ventilated rear, it still states the old 6-piston front. Of course the site also states: "Mercedes-Benz reserves the right to make changes at any time, without notice, in colors, materials, equipment, specifications, and models."

I'll check on the 2008 brochure later this evening. I wouldn't mind if they're for the better but would at least prefer to have the AMG logo on the caliper covers.

Any pix of the brakes?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2008 brochure says the same, it's what we were looking at in the dealer. I'm on hold now with MBUSA...

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Good catch MDLSLK55. It's interesting that they increased the size of the rotor, but went from six piston to four on the front. Do you know the size of the rear rotor. I'm anxiously awaiting Dan's response. I hope this isn't a cost savings issue with MB, but that's what it appears to be. With the car still at the dealer, you have clout. Keep us informed.

·
19,400 Posts
Anyone know the specs on the brakes for the SLR? 6-piston front and 4-piston rear? Just trying to compare. Perhaps the surface area of the brake discs have increased (thereby improving braking efficiency)?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
The area of the discs can increase without going to more pistons. Remember, more pistons is usually better, not always necessary (many M series BMWs use single piston brakes).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan's gonna investigate further in the morning, but here's what the original window sticker says directly (I'll post some pics at some point, maybe tomorrow):

Under Performance/Handling:
-AMG High Performance Braking System:
-F: 13.6" Perforated & Ventilated w/ 4-Piston Fixed Calipers
-R: 11.8" Perforated & Ventilated w/ 2-Piston Fixed Calipers

They're both ventilated, and the front is perforated, but the rear is solid (unless the cross-drilling isn't on the rear front surface :confused:)...

It's not showing up in any literature or in the EPC, but they called some factory rep earlier and he said it was the "latest technology" and that it was correct. So, I have the car at home for now, and I'll get it sorted out once and for all in the next day or 2.

·
19,400 Posts
They're both ventilated, and the front is perforated, but the rear is solid (unless the cross-drilling isn't on the rear front surface :confused:)...

.... So, I have the car at home for now, and I'll get it sorted out once and for all in the next day or 2.
Congratulations MDLSLK55!! :tu:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don't worry ....

Be happy! Very, very VERY HAPPY! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

I don't think you will mind the bit of confusion over the rear brakes once you get past the 1000 mile break-in (no pun intended)! :rb

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts

I don't believe there is any drilling involved in any case. I think drilling is supposed to be a bad thing. I believe it is cast with holes.

·
19,400 Posts
They're both ventilated, and the front is perforated, but the rear is solid (unless the cross-drilling isn't on the rear front surface :confused:)....
Ventilated means it has the lines (for ventilation) on the rotor but not perforated (holes).

D

·
0 Posts
Hey guys,

Eddy mate checked your VIN it loaded like a champ at the moment its not showing anything that would suggest a change in the brakes and the SLR brakes are the CC version of the ones used on the SLK and other AMG's with the same system so its 6 front 4 rear.

I have checked all the info we have and at the moment if a change is happening it looks like a US thing, i will contact AMG in the morning and it will be sorted then.

All disks used on Mercedes Benz's are internally ventilated and thats the primary way they manage heat, the higher performance disks are also perforated (cross-drill pattern, cast that way) but that is mainly for looks and in bad weather water management.

AMG disk's also tend to be slotted and this is the only real thing providing the increased performance it does however cause the pads to wear faster.

It appears the size of the disks has increased but the real factor here is the pad since it can only work on the area it can transfer friction material to, if the contact patch remains the same then this is more a shame for cosmetic reasons (big brakes look really cool) but if the pad size has been reduced this is a really bad call by MB.

Anyways MD i will get in touch with you via IM and will also post the results up here, if a change is being made i will make sure i extract all the info i can about the reasoning.

·
19,400 Posts
Thanks a whole bunch Dan. The new office in the signature pix is quite a set-up (the ultimate garage). :tu:

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:I hate to be negative, but I don't see these changes as the latest technology and more of a cost cutting move. I hope I'm wrong. Dan will get us the answer.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
That's interesting... and a bit strange. I wouldn't sweat it too much. There's nothing you can do about it.... if that's one of the changes. The 55 had and probably still has impressive stopping power.

If you get a chance, snap a pic and post it. I'm curious what it looks like now.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
unfortunately i think that Don hit the nail on the head. i can't see how a smaller rear rotor can increase stopping power (but then again i'm not a engineer). i too would like to see pix.

bottom line, congrats on your new car, if you're like the rest of us (maybe except Bill), you'll love her.
:Beer:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's what you get for now at 11:30pm with a flash :biglaugh:

Front:

Rear:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hmmmm. Well the front definately looks like a new brake. I haven't seen that design before. I wonder if it comes from another model or is it completely new? The rear looks like a step backward... a bit small. However, perhaps that's all that's needed. Maybe they've run tests and determined that the new rear brakes are cheaper yet just as effective?! I don't know. Let's see what Dan says.

Of course, thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^So that's what I'm wondering...based on the pics, does my front caliper look like everyone else's rears or is it completely different?

It's kind of sad when the rear caliper is even too small to put the AMG logo on...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
^So that's what I'm wondering...based on the pics, does my front caliper look like everyone else's rears or is it completely different?
Completely different. Since you were kind enough to post pics, I'll do the same. One sec...

Definitely not the best example, but at least it gives you an idea. Perhaps someone else has better pics.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 217 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.