Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I've just bought a 2007 SLK 280 but over the last few days it's developed a starting issue !!
Sometimes it will take anything from 2-6 turns of the key to start & then today it failed to start at all .... When I went back to it later in the day it fired up straight away !!!....... The starter & battery are fine & there are no codes stored !
Any ideas as to what the problem might be as it's becoming a bit frustrating now
Thanks in advance

Mark

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,215 Posts
Bad battery with bad cell or cells. probably original. Get it really tested or just buy a brand new one
many threads on your issue. search :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying , I appreciate it ..... I'll have a good search through the forum & see what turns up until I can get it booked in to be looked at :smile:

Thanks

Mark

·
103,215 Posts

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
It really could be a lot of things and all you will get asking the question is a host of the possibilities.

Battery possibly, but if as you say it turns over with plenty of power, then possibly fuel related. When the car does not start after several turns, is there a smell of petrol. If not, possibly the fuel pump relay. If there is a smell, then something else - could even be in the ECU.

Does it start OK when cold and this problem only manifests when it is hot? If so, classic symptom of the crank sensor.

Again, I emphasise possibilities.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car seems to be affected hot or cold !........ Most mornings it will struggle to start from cold but once it has it seems to be fine for a while & will start ok for a while but if left for an hour or so it won't start again , the symptoms are similar to vapour lock on older cars !!!!
It started this morning after a few goes & when I left it for a couple of hours after a run it wouldn't start when warm so I left it ........ It then started fine an hour later !!
Very strange !!

Thanks for the suggestions though I welcome them all :smile:

Regards

Mark

·
103,215 Posts
But battery check is faster and cheaper unless you need a new battery $160

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.