Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,yesterday I did the first oil change (by me on the car) on my SLK. I have a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire with 3.2 V6 engine (I call it my SLK320 in a Chrysler wrapper) . . . anyhow, I have oil filters for the 3.2 and thought perhaps the 5.5 in the SLK would take same filter. Went to dealer and was told it is different part number for the 5.5 and bought the filter from them. I believe the only difference is in the actual physical length of the filter.

At any rate, jacked up the car and was amazed to find TWO belly pans to remove instead of one ! And of course TWO drain plugs instead of one. However, just means a little bit more time. From the service history, the last oil change was over 1 year ago, and was over due for oil change by about 2k km (1200 miles) . . . the oil was certainly BLACK !

I had found 0W40 Mobil 1 Synthetic oil, at Walmart in USA, in 5 quart (US) jugs for $28.00 !! This was last fall, but bought and had in stock at home . . . so with the oil filter from dealer, at $25 and two jugs of oil @ $28 ea, total oil change cost was $81 and about 1.25hr of my time. Much better than paying the dealership or a shop.

Certainly wish there was a dipstick, rather than oil level sensor and computer read out telling you level is "ok" . . .

If you are at all handy, save yourself some $$$ and do the job yourself !

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG
391 Posts
If you go into the service menu it will tell you exactly how many litres of oil are in there...assuming it is perfectly level :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Merc dealer charged me $133 for the same oil change, filter, and dealing with two underside pans and two drain plugs and almost 2.5 gallons of dirty oil, while I wandered around sitting in and smelling shiny new cars, after finding out the service history of my new-to-me car. I felt it was money well spent.

The best part was not having to go to Wal-Mart. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not hard to pour in 8 litres of oil exactly . . . no need to really worry to much about it. But with a dip stick, you can at least check it yourself. As well, you are able to see how clean or dirty it is without draining anything out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well . . . little bit of clarification on oil filter . . . so I have the part number A 000 180 26 09 for the 3.2 V6 - it is almost same as part number A 000 180 28 09 for the 5.5 V8. Difference is in the material - 26 is fleece material and 28 is paper material. Apparently the fleece is a better filter (?!??!) . . . so why not use the the "26" fleece filter ??? Anyone else ever looked into these ???

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,889 Posts
Well . . . little bit of clarification on oil filter . . . so I have the part number A 000 180 26 09 for the 3.2 V6 - it is almost same as part number A 000 180 28 09 for the 5.5 V8. Difference is in the material - 26 is fleece material and 28 is paper material. Apparently the fleece is a better filter (?!??!) . . . so why not use the the "26" fleece filter ??? Anyone else ever looked into these ???
Why on earth would you? The one MB syays you should use for the V8 is $11,75 on Amazon. Penny stuff. For that kind of money why would you take any risk by using parts that are not designed for the engine. Just use what MB says you should use. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.