Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate if anyone has a good but inexpensive wheel shop in the Orange County, Riverside County or San Diego County area? The car that I just bought has some work that needs to be done on them, the finish is boltched and discolored either from chemicals or salt water. I have a 2006 SLK350 Alabaster White Ext. With a Beige and Black Int. has anyone seen a white SLK with white rims? How did it look? What's the consensus out there in SLK land? Or have them refinished silver like stock? The white I can do myself but the refinish with machine edges I need a shop. Thanks in advance!!

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK32 AMG
5,641 Posts
Never seen one with white rims.....hmmmmmm, don't know if that would look good or not. You might check the Internet on getting the wheels refurbished. Found a guy here who will come to you or you can take to him. Costs $40 per rim. If you go white would like to see the pictures.

"King of Battle".....world of tanks fan??

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
77 Posts
I had the 4 wheels for my 2006 SLK350 finished in Gloss Black last year at:

US Wheel Exchange
25855 Commerce Drive
Madison Heights, MI 48071

They did an outstanding job and warrantee their work for 5 years. They charge $1225 per wheel + $25 dollars for return shipping. It takes about a week.

·
**Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,857 Posts
White wheels on a white car can look good in a way that is not to everyone's taste. So called candy colours are popular on Japanese cars but an acquired taste, probably look bad on an MB. I nearly went black on black at one stage. Dark colours would look good on white giving maximum contrast too, black or grey.

As Crank says above if you fancy a diy route to white try it and if you don't like it go for a professional refurb

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd go the diy route regardless. Unless the rims are bent, scuffs can be smoothed out easily with bondo and sandpaper. I bought an air brush attachment for my air compressor at Walmart, some paint and clear coat at
the auto parts shop and did it myself thanks to diy tutorials on YouTube. Perfect results on all 4 wheels for less than $100.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
It is your car, so you get to do what you wish to it...and all our opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them. That being said, the photo of the Singapore car is quite attractive and if you go white on white it will be dramatic and tasteful. As others have noted, a brake pad change may be in order as the factory pads do create a lot of dust. When you do the refinishing, regardless of color, make sure to give the wheels a good coat of wax inside and out before you mount them, as that helps to make them easier to clean.

Back in the late 1980s, the monochrome look was all the rage for Mercedes-Benz tuners. It was usually done with White, Black and Red cars but occasionally with other colors as well. The wheels, grille shell, mirror housings, and other chrome trim were all painted body color. Usually the model badges were color-matched as well, and the hood star was often deleted. The rear decklid star usually remained chrome. The monochrome look hasn't entirely gone out of style.

·
*Premium
2006 SLK280
1,236 Posts
I used Velvet Touch in San Diego to repair some curb rash on machined 16 spoke wheels. They did a fine job.

www.[B]repair[/B]mywheels.com/

Reactions: King of Battle
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.