Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know if your car has the 030 package? I purchased it with a few thousand miles on it.It is also due for the "A" service. Does anyone have an idea how much this should cost? It has never been back to the dealer since new. Someone said that the differential fluid should be changed at the "A" service too. Is that true? Great site for a great car, hello everyone

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You can quickly identify a few keys things:

Steering wheel with alcantara?
CF trim vs aluminum or wood?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Congrats on the fine ride and welcome to the club!

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
The rotors are a bit bigger too but it's not as obvious, please post pics, would love to see your new 55, and welcome to the forum.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
You can quickly identify a few keys things:

Steering wheel with alcantara?
CF trim vs aluminum or wood?
:confused: OK, I'll pretend I don't know what "alcantara" is. Just what the heck is "alcantara"? I know the steering wheel is different. [email protected], just to verify, check the small sticker on the underside of the front of the hood. The 030 code should be listed. If the seller didn't disclose (or wasn't aware of the) 030 option package, you might have really gotten a bargain on your 2006 SLK 55. I can attest that there are some great bargains on used, low mileage SLKs.:tu:

D

·
0 Posts
alcantara - That funny sh1t on the sides of your seat and sometimes the roof.

Its on the steering wheel with 030

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
alcantara - That funny sh1t on the sides of your seat and sometimes the roof.

Its on the steering wheel with 030
:biglaugh: lol, great description

it's actually a type of fabric, I believe, you see it in a lot of race cars, suppose to provide the most grip.

Here's what it looks like.

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah thats right man made fabric provides good grip but does go manky if you sweat on it much for whatever reason and is next to impossible to clean

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,395 Posts
Alcantara is almost like suede, I think in MB language.

It actually is a special fabric produced by a firm in Italy at a Nera Montoro plant, near Temi. The material was developed in 1970 in Japan by Dr. Miyosho Okamoto and the Japanese firm partnered with ENI group. The material and associated processes were patented and marketed as Alcantara. Here's a link: http://www.italiaspeed.com/2006/events/alcantara/0804.html

It's a microfiber variant. Actually microfiber was invented and processed by the same person: "Ultrasuede
In 1970, Toray Industries scientist Dr. Miyoshi Okamoto invented the world's first microfiber. A few months later, his colleague Dr. Toyohiko Hikota succeeded in developing a process that would transform these microfibers into an amazing new fabric - Ultrasuede. "

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused: OK, I'll pretend I don't know what "alcantara" is. Just what the heck is "alcantara"?
:biglaugh: Thanks to DansSLK, Ynot, and etyu, I feel like a "alcantara expert". I'll probably cruise down to the local MB dealer and talk some alcantara trash!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:biglaugh: Thanks to DansSLK, Ynot, and etyu, I feel like a "alcantara expert". I'll probably cruise down to the local MB dealer and talk some alcantara trash!
Yup, me too! Great detailed answers and exreamly fast too. oh yea, anyone know about the first service etc. (see first post)

Thanks
Paul

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.