Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know what they say, if the price is too good...

Just bought the aforementioned SLK (black) with 78,000 miles on her for $22,800. The only symptom during the test drive was at the end of the drive, while my wife was driving, the car seemed to get stuck in 1st gear just as we were pulling into the parking lot. I assumed that she had bumped the downshift paddle as she was turning the wheel.

Monday, I make the deal and drive off in my new-to-me SLK. Then later in the evening as we're driving to retrieve my old car, I stop at a light and then the car doesn't want to engage the gear after the light turns green. I restarted the car and it seemed to be ok, then a similar thing happened on the way home. The car got stuck in what seemed like first gear, I stopped, put it in park and the C/S/M button didn't do anything and so I limped the rest of the way home. To add insult to injury, the chk engine light came on at some point in the drive.

A quick search of the forum found several guys with the exact same symptoms so I'm in good company. She's in the local dealer's service bay now so we'll see what the experts have to say. I'm hoping it'll be less than $1k, but I'm expecting around $2k, we'll see.

As long as they can get her back up to 99% for less than $5k in total, I'll be a happy camper. The blue book for the car is around $30k and an identical car (with significantly less mileage) is on sale at the dealership for $42k.

My wife and I are in our early 50's and we live just outside Tacoma, WA. She's a veterinary tech and I do IT support for small businesses.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,192 Posts
Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Sorry to hear about your issues.

I have bumped the gearshift myself several times just leaning over to grab the gf

I do IT also

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Welcome from London, and hopefully your problems will be easily sorted - as you say, you got a very good price, so investing some back into her is probably to be expected...

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,527 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jeff and John, thanks for the welcome. No questions yet, just introducing myself.

Received the call from the dealership. They said it's a bad "electric set" or some such. Total cost for repair, about $1,200.

Not too bad. Better than I expected! :bannana:

·
98,192 Posts
as Tom Petty says, you got lucky babe

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome from NE England. I take it you bought it as a private sale, not through a dealer? As you say, it sounds like a (n unfortunately) common problem with auto transmissions. Hope you get it sorted soon, then you can start enjoying possibly one of the best cars out there.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome from southern California. Please get more details/specifics from the technician and service adviser. The transmission sounds like the conductor plate (faulty sensors) issue. Ask them for the error codes, and an itemized list of the parts used.

If the car is not under warranty, MB will guarantee the parts for 1 year (unlimited mileage).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do Eddy. I agree, the "conductor plate" mentioned in several other threads matches the symptoms I had.

·
98,192 Posts
When that is sorted, you can start 'modding'! Smarttop, clear side markers and my favorite, daytime driving lights!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome from NE England. I take it you bought it as a private sale, not through a dealer?
Yeah, it was a private/dealer sale from a guy who buys repo cars & such and then sells them when he gets tired of 'em. (or possibly when he discovers a problem with the transmission eh?)

·
Registered 2003 SLK230
274 Posts
Welcome from San Jose...

Since you are so close to Seattle, you may want to join the SLK northwest group (SLKNW.COM), in case you have not heard of them.

·
Registered--In between SLK's
15,194 Posts
Another Hi from london,

Welcome aboard, sorry to hear about your woe's with the car, i have also had tranny problems, all sorted and hopefuly your will soon be sorted too so you can get back to getting the best out of your car and enjoyiong it!

Best of luck:tu:

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
18,882 Posts
Welcome from Portland, Oregon. If you get a chance, check out the SLK NW Group. They/we get together about once a month in the Seattle area. This last weekend we had about 20 SLK's that got together for a BBQ.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Welcome from Indy, and another recent conductor plate repairee(is that a word?).

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan via Dallas Texas.....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts