Mercedes SLK World banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

Using a 4 way lug wrench to keep the carpet propped on the passenger side to air out. Some sticky residue was under here, looks like somebody spilled a big gulp. Thankfully only a couple small modules under here, which I have to replace if need be.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

The drivers side area under the carpet had bacon. I thought this was really funny for some reason. Also gross. Very gross.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

This is the most important pic from the weekend. Might not mean much to you on first glance, but I know the mileage did end in 5 as of yesterday morning. As of yesterday afternoon I have driven the car 2 miles. Mostly in my short driveway and a quick blast to the neighbors driveway and back to make certain it shifts through some gears. Engine sounded rough initially. Gave it a quick Italian tune up after it warmed for about 10 minutes. Valve train noises now seem to be in an acceptable range, it's idling along like a sewing machine. Engine and trans are strong and will easily break traction on dry pavement. Vibration when coming to a stop, likely worn engine and trans mounts. It's alive!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
2,412 Posts
This is the most important pic from the weekend. Might not mean much to you on first glance, but I know the mileage did end in 5 as of yesterday morning. As of yesterday afternoon I have driven the car 2 miles. Mostly in my short driveway and a quick blast to the neighbors driveway and back to make certain it shifts through some gears. Engine sounded rough initially. Gave it a quick Italian tune up after it warmed for about 10 minutes. Valve train noises now seem to be in an acceptable range, it's idling along like a sewing machine. Engine and trans are strong and will easily break traction on dry pavement. Vibration when coming to a stop, likely worn engine and trans mounts. It's alive!
The first start and drive is always a big-grin day. Congrats!

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

The final piece of the puzzle for my drivers door arrived and was installed immediately. Going to operate this handle like it's the last one on earth. This should be the last time I have to take the door panel off. I'm down to one extra door panel clip so that's good.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

More electrical gremlin testing. All of the fuses in this box under the hood pass a continuity test with similar readings. Don't worry the negative battery cable is disconnected in the top picture.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Another fix I owe to the members of SLK world. @efair responded to a thread I made looking for another headlight to rob parts from, and told me that I could get bracket repair kits from the dealer which are about 20 per headlight. In these pics I am mending a broken mounting tab with one of the parts included in the repair kit. This particular light had a small hole broken in it when the mounting tab was damaged, so I added some 3m weatherstrip adhesive to the hole and around the new mounting bracket after screwing it down. Hoping to not end up with a moisture filled headlight when all is said and done.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

My what big eyes you have! The headlights for these cars are gigantic. Nice to have something in those big holes now. Driver's side fitment needs a little adjustment, the top can go up a couple turns. I'll do that after I refit the bumper. So here is where I'm at. The headlights turn on the low beams with the ignition key, I assume as a DRL feature. Both low beams dip and level as they should, which was a relief to see as I have had big trouble with auto leveling xenon systems in the past. The first time I shut the car off after installing the headlights, the tail lights and license plate lights turned out! Yes! I did it!

...and that's where the fun ended. On turning the car back on to check other light functions the low beams leveled again and ran as they should. I have no high beams and nothing changes with the low beams when the high beams are turned on. I have turn signals everywhere but the front headlights, no left, no right. I assume the yellow bulb in the headlights is a turn signal. The headlight switch at the dash does nothing of notice in any position, it's as if the car is completely ignoring it. It does show a pretty green light glowing however. Then, to further irritate me when I shut the car off again the tail lights and license plate lights stayed on again. I'm right back to disconnecting the battery when I'm done playing with the car for the day. Which brings me to another thing I noticed today, I cannot find connectors for front fog lights on this car. Not even leads for fog lights are present by the looks of things. I believe it is the rear fog lights that are running and not turning off, so maybe I am onto something here. I just hope the leads for the fronts were not cut out and arcing somewhere I have yet to find them. There is one pair of wires on the passenger side with nothing connected to them, I mentioned them before with the crimp fittings connected to nothing.

I haven't had time to work with the computer diagnosis stuff but will play with that again tonight after I spend some more time reading about fog light wires. The other central gateway arrived today from florida, but I didn't try it out as I think the california one is working due to the additional error messages I'm getting now.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

So now when I hit the switch to drop the roof I get a message to close the partition. This was enlightening as I knew I was missing the latches for this thing, but now I know I am missing the contact switch. A few slk world searches later and I know I can temporarily jumper that switches harness to fool it, after using a bungee cord to hold the partition closed and out of the way. Now it will work. Hit the switch and the trunk sprung backwards. It was another big grin moment for sure. Then I noticed nothing else was happening although the pump was still running until I released the switch. Should have known it wouldn't be that easy. :) Progress is progress though, and this is the first time I have been able to make that switch do anything other than strain my pump system.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Ground control to Major Tom- we have communication to the car. After hours of trial and error it turns out my diagnostic setup installation was botched from the get and would have never worked. I'll spare you all the details but a 64bit operating system will require 64bit drivers for the diag adapter. Now that the proper drivers are in place for the diagnostic adapter everything is working as it should. At least on the PC side of the system.

I've just scanned the car for the first time and am looking at dozens of error codes. I was up until about 3am when I finally got this thing working so I just scanned what I could, saved the codes and unplugged it. Now is not the time to move forward until I learn more about this software, but I saw lots of options I like. To make sure I could clear codes I erased them from the rear sam, 2 recurred right away about some short circuit to the tail lamps...

Right off the bat there are issues and exclamation marks on every module except the transmission and central gateway. I see the vin displayed in xentry does not match my car. I'm guessing I am seeing the vin of the car that the california central gateway came from here. Will my setup do coding? I guess we will find out. Can't pass emissions testing on someone else's vin.

Among the dozens of codes there are only a few I care about at the moment, I'm sure many are from having modules missing then a battery put in the car. The seats being missing alone are probably good for a dozen codes I would imagine.

What I dont like right now:
no communication with front sam whatsoever. I had a feeling this was the problem, because of the headlight issues and because I have a good spare rear sam here but no front. Of course.

One I was expecting all along:
secondary air pump related codes. Have never heard this thing run at cold start up. Will have to grab one next time I'm near the city. Bigger issues at hand at the moment.

The big ones are from the ECM, says both banks have retarded valve timing. I noticed it won't rev beyond about 5500 so I am hoping this is just the ECM unhappy with the other electrical issues in the car and keeping things in a safe operating range. No more running the engine until I get the front sam sorted, there are multiple 200 amp fuses going to that thing right off the box near the battery I had opened yesterday, and if it's bad I will consider myself lucky if I only end up replacing it.

Now to take a nap, then figure out how to test this front sam and see if it's just something inside that needs replaced or if I need the whole deal. A quick search shows they are not going for peanuts like some of the other modules, need to make sure mine isn't repairable or just being hindered by some other problem. My brain hurts.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I suspect it is bad, because the cover was left off of it for an unknown amount of time. The hood grilles were removed so it was open to the elements, and the first thing I did when the car arrived is dropped a fresh battery in it. During a rain. It may have already been bad, but I certainly didn't help matters on day one.

·
2,412 Posts
@2seats3pedals - secondary air pump can be de-activated. That may be the best quick for right now. Most of the connections and specifically the power to the front SAM are all connected on the under side. Make sure you have power to the SAM first. The valve timing may be balance shaft wear issue. We have a sticky post on that here so if you have not read up on it you may want to take a look at it. There is a simple test to confirm whether the timing issue is due to the balance shaft wear.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thank you, your info on the secondary air pump will save me some headache for the time being. I'll have to reconnect and check those settings, maybe it's already software disabled. I just got home and am eating some dinner as I type this. I've got the evening free and the house to myself for the coming days. This is when I'm most productive, fewer distractions. It's time to figure this car out finally. I've got the right tools now, so less guesswork and wasting time testing good components.

When I was looking into this car I found a vin check site called badvin that offered a premium "in depth" report for like 10 dollars so I bought it. Has all of the sales history and some service entries, one minor front end damage report. But this is of interest:

2019-02-08
2 years ago
Bloomington Normal Auto
Mall
Normal, IL
Vehicle serviced
Maintenance inspection
completed
Balance shaft replaced

Seems unlikely it would go bad again so soon especially having sat for the last year not running. Maybe these guys didn't get the timing just right, or something came out of adjustment since. I've yet to research this system at all so I'm sure I'm in for a treat. I had to reset timing on a variable valvetrain BMW in the past after a head gasket replacement. That took me some time to read about before I was willing to dive in. Had to rent some tools too as I recall. That worked out fine though, no codes from that engine. Maybe I will luck out and it's a bad tensioner I can slap in and be good.

Could also be possible that ECU is bad or communication to it disrupted and codes cannot be cleared after this repair. It took me a couple tries to read the ECU now that I think of it. At first it reported the same message as the front sam. Module cannot be reached or whatever it said. Hmm... I'll check back later I have some things to check on the car and a long thread to read about this balance shaft deal.

·
2,412 Posts
Secondary air pump is operated by the front SAM. If the front SAM is bad then that may be the issue with the pump. If you do decide to switch the pump off it is in the ECU. I agree if the balance shaft has been replaced then it is not likely to be bad again. Could be along the lines of the cam solenoids are bad.

On the Central Gateway module, can the old one be read so it can be used to program the new one?

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
The old one didn't come with the car unfortunately. I was able to edit in the correct features of the car like xenon and navigation but didn't see anywhere to edit the vin. I tried the option of coding where the old module is not readable and xentry wants to go someplace online and asks for a password I don't have access to. One of the codes I saw across a couple modules stated that the instrument cluster had been changed. I don't believe this is true but I am not certain. More research to do.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

Another late night, listening to the beatles via satellite on my 32 dollar comand system while I run some tests.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

So this is currently the main problem with the car, and if you expand on this it gives you a bunch of circuits to troubleshoot. That will be the first thing I do tomorrow when I have some daylight. It looks like the sam might be ok and just not communicating right now, hopefully I can find a bad wire or something I can fix without waiting for more parts to come.

The other day I took the radio from the cls550 to my car to compare the wiring harness and realized it plugged right in. I was disappointed when all the power button did was show a mercedes star, but I wasn't expecting a lot. Tonight I decided that if I'm going to tackle electrical issues I should probably have as many of the electrical components installed as possible. The seats are two big electrical components and I have read about problems with their connectors and wiring. So I put the new seats in to test them out, and had hoped to clear up some communications. The passenger seat has an extra SRS harness. Great. This is going well. Seats are from an SLK just one year newer so I am sure there is a way around that, just another thing to work out. code says open circuit to baby seat or something. Passengers occupancy sensor looks totally different a year later too.

So anyways I have my beautiful new problematic seats installed, and am enjoying sitting on the padded cushions rather than a milk crate to use the laptop. I forgot to mention here the first drive of the car was me sitting on a milk crate.

I'm trying to make sense of this most ring business and see if any of the audio equipment works in this car. Must fix communications to that front sam. I had the car on a battery charger because of the long diagnostic session. I unplugged the charger to use a shop vac to clean out the rest of the bacon before I wiped down the floors under the carpet and put the seats in place. The only unit showing up under communications other than teleaid was the audio gateway, and it said it wasn't talking to any of it's friends. I remembered the disc drive looking thing in the center of the trunk and went to see if it did anything of interest. It didn't spit out a disc when I hit the button, so I put my ear to it and hit the button again. It's either dead, or smart enough to know a disc is not loaded. I checked the fuses for it, and in the process found another blown 5 amp fuse I need to look up to see what that was. The nav fuses were good. When I talked with the previous owner he told me the head unit was sold among the other parts before I got the car. I read about the most system not liking missing components so I bought a couple fiber optic loops I thought may come in handy to add an aftermarket system or something later.

I unplugged the most fiber optic connector at the nav unit and plugged it into the loop adapter. Went on about some other things and got back into the car. I'm hearing faint voices what the??
The radio is on. Awesome! So I quickly scan some FM channels to find something that doesn't have static and turn it up so I can test the junkyard speakers. They sound perfectly fine to my ears, which is surprising because I did not replace the foam surrounds that mate to the door panels. A couple clicks to turn the bass up and this thing is cranking! Not bad. Sorry neighbors. Only problem is the head unit is about 3/4" too wide for the SLK dash. I can prove it works now though, which should help it find a new owner and pay for at least part of a proper replacement for me. So back to the unplugged battery charger, I've ran the battery all but flat again with the help of the now functional amplifier.

disabled teleaid this evening, no more SOS calls. Totally forgot to check the settings for secondary air pump though. Also, I am assuming due to changing the lighting settings in the central gateway, my tail lamps now go out with the car as they should. Still no front turn signals. :)

goals for tomorrow: fix sam can bus communication issue
put roof down manually, remove headliner and lube latch mechanism. I didn't buy a hard top.

·
2,412 Posts
More good progress. You found the trick with the radio (MOST) fiber ring. Front turn signals aren't working because they come through the front SAM. There is likely a bad micro switch stopping the roof from completing the cycle. DAS will help you with that.

The effort to change the VIN in the gateway is the system looking for coding. If you have not pulled the coding from the old one then it wants to connect to the mother ship to get it from the main data base. Reach out to @i860 on what you can do in this situtation.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts