Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
319 Posts
If I'm not mistaken your car is an automatic and when you switch the key to the start position, the engine starts automatically. Unlike most vehicles, you can't "bump" the engine as it will take over and try to start for you.
HTH

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
2,408 Posts
I have determined the 2 connectors by the driver's side dash should be going to the central gateway module. This forum has yet to fail me when I search an issue. Apparently I'm a liar and I did not take every electronic module from inside the 2010 because after looking through all of my loose parts twice I don't have this one. I'm going to look again, and get a little more organized in the process. I'm hoping I do have it because I also thought I had the drivers lower dash panel from the 2010 and I can't find that now either.

Just ordered a central module on ebay though, at 15.99 shipped I won't be upset if I misplaced it and actually do already have it. Hopefully it works and shuts that center console lock up in the process, and tells the car its not really moving so I can put the roof down. From what I have read it's like a hub of can bus communications among different systems so I'm guessing it's responsible for most of my electrical issues. It also explains why I have been unable to pull any codes from the car. Which is good news but for a different reason, it means my current diagnostic setup likely is working just fine, it just can't talk to the car without this module installed. I actually can hear that center console thing change sound when I try to pull codes the first time, so something is happening. I'll be leaving all of that alone until the module comes. It's been a good session of troubleshooting the car this afternoon and exactly how I wanted to spend my labor day. Now to wait for the mail to come.

So in the first new parts order I picked up a fuse box cover that goes under the hood on the driver's side. Guess what I found under the hood today hiding by the engine? A perfectly good fuse box cover. Need to be cautious with that. I hate returning things almost as much as I hate buying parts I dont really need. At least my fuses are covered up properly now. I'll put the new one on when it arrives, one less thing to clean. Stickers are flaking off the old one.

Biggest development of the day is a positive: Couldn't get the car to actually crank the engine until today. While I was looking over all three of the fuse boxes in the car I was sure to have a look at the ones labeled something along the lines of "engine start enable" on the diagram which apply to three fuses. Turns out I was missing a 15 amp fuse under the hood. I grabbed one and put it in, then wanted to bump the starter to see if that was all that was wrong. I wish I had recorded this moment to video. The moment I hit the key, the engine immediately started!! I didn't even hear a full revolution of the starter it was like I had just driven this car to lunch earlier and the engine was still warm. It scared me half to death and I immediately turned it back off, there is no radiator in the thing and I did not expect it to want to even turn over let alone fire up! So that's a big check off the list today. Engine is capable of starting. I may have ran it 3 full seconds while I took mental realization of what was happening and told myself to cut the key, but it sounded fine.
If you don't already have one you really should get a MB Star/SDS/Xentry/DAS diagnostic tool (some other tools can do some things, but none can do all that this tool will do). As part of the software package there will be the MB parts catalog which makes looking up parts more successfully (MB makes part changes in production lines and the VIN is the dividing point not the model year) and WIS which is the MB service and repair manual.

In using the diagnostic tool it will not only tell you where something is shorted (just an example), but it will also show you a picture of the culprit connector in question, and provide you with trouble shooting steps to confirm it is the issue. It will pay for itself the first time you are swapping out control modules (which, in many cases, need to be programmed by this tool) or trying to figure out why one light is not working or which of the many micro switches within the roof has failed and won't let the roof retract. Contact our local guru @i860 and he will get you sorted out in short order.

Good luck on your project.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks folks! I am familiar with LKQ, the 2010 parts car is in one of their yards. Still a useful tip though, as it reminded me it wouldn't hurt to call them and see if they can assist me in locating what I need. They have a lot of locations and they don't always put their best cars in the "u pull it" lots. I will do that this afternoon.

I am pretty certain I have xentry 6.20 working with a vas5054 adapter, but I will not be able to confirm it is fully operational until the new gateway module arrives. I also have another of those adapters coming, as I thought mine may be bad before I discovered the missing gateway module.

I'm being impatient and those modules are going for so cheap used I bought another one at 30 shipped with priority shipping. It's like a race to my mailbox, one is coming from florida the other california. This is also to help make sure I end up with a good and compatible part. One of the modules I bought came from a 2006 so I'm hoping it works out one way or another. I appreciate you taking the time to explain how the program works though, Mchild. It's going to be even better than I had hoped. I've yet to see it for myself, it errors out after trying to establish initial communication because I was trying to make it talk to a partial car. :) How does one access the parts catalog does that happen after the car is scanned initially? Right now I open xentry, select R171 and other options to ID the car then DAS opens to perform diagnostics and that's as far as I can go until I get my part in the mail.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
2,408 Posts
Thanks folks! I am familiar with LKQ, the 2010 parts car is in one of their yards. Still a useful tip though, as it reminded me it wouldn't hurt to call them and see if they can assist me in locating what I need. They have a lot of locations and they don't always put their best cars in the "u pull it" lots. I will do that this afternoon.

I am pretty certain I have xentry 6.20 working with a vas5054 adapter, but I will not be able to confirm it is fully operational until the new gateway module arrives. I also have another of those adapters coming, as I thought mine may be bad before I discovered the missing gateway module.

I'm being impatient and those modules are going for so cheap used I bought another one at 30 shipped with priority shipping. It's like a race to my mailbox, one is coming from florida the other california. This is also to help make sure I end up with a good and compatible part. One of the modules I bought came from a 2006 so I'm hoping it works out one way or another. I appreciate you taking the time to explain how the program works though, Mchild. It's going to be even better than I had hoped. I've yet to see it for myself, it errors out after trying to establish initial communication because I was trying to make it talk to a partial car. :) How does one access the parts catalog does that happen after the car is scanned initially? Right now I open xentry, select R171 and other options to ID the car then DAS opens to perform diagnostics and that's as far as I can go until I get my part in the mail.
Since you have a much newer version of Xentry/DAS, the software you have may not necessarily include the whole suite of applications. In the past, everything was always loaded on the hard drive. The parts catalog is called EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog) and the service repair is called WIS (Workshop Information System). On my much older of Xentry/DAS I can access WIS from DAS but accessing EPC is more of a stand alone component. EPC is much improved over the typical online MB dealer parts catalog. It will show you an original part number and all the superceded versions. That is helpful in your seach for used parts. Or that you know the first couple early versions of a part had some issues so only look for the newer versions of the part. Also, MB is very good about knowing how every vehicle is built and the options it had. If you wanted to replace the left door speakers the parts catalong which version of speakers your car was bulit. Same as to a headlight assebly. The parts catalong will know which headlight your car was built (there are a couple of different versions).

Also, when searching for a repair process in WIS you can either start with WIS and drill down to where you 'think' it would be or you can look the part up in EPC (such as the rear anti-sway bar) and then click on WIS and it will load the car model and the repair area where the specific info is contained. MB does not everything in the most intuitive way so having the computer help is a good idea.

Again, if you need help with any having to do with the software or the components, rach out to @i860.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OK thank you I may need to install the WIS and EPC as stand alones, or perhaps I just haven't noticed I already have them. I'll check that computer later today and see what I can find.

I called LKQ earlier and sat on hold for a long time, only to connect to a person who I guess could not hear me. Will have to try them again. UPS dropped off a wiper motor cover/ windscreen cowl just now that came from a 2007 slk 280. Wiped it down and gave it a test fit, snaps right in place.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Need to find the right fasteners to attach the cowl piece to the car, and locate a piece of weather stripping for it as it looks like it is missing one that would mate to the hood when closed. Also shortly after the cowl part arrived the mail lady dropped off some used R171 wiper arms from ebay, which ran me about 35 dollars. I'll hold off on putting these on until the wiper blades arrive, don't want to scratch the windshield.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Took the seats out this afternoon and vacuumed up years worth of stuff from under the seats. What I learned today is there was definitely a dog in the car at some point, lots of dog hair under the passenger seat. I suppose it could have been anything, maybe a previous owner had exotic pets. Looks like a couple beverage spills beside the drivers seat.

This is the passenger seat pictured, and it held up pretty well for 185k miles. It has a cigarette burn on the bottom cushion towards the back. No forgotten wallets or other things of interest found under the seats. Just 26 cents and some toothpicks.

The carpet has gotten wet a few times in this thing and it's got a little funk to it mingling with the usual old german car smells. It's going to need to be flipped up on each side at a minimum, and the foam underside and flooring beneath cleaned and deodorized. Then I'll shampoo the top side and bring in the box fan for awhile to dry things out, hopefully for good. I believe I have the cabin sealed at this point, by getting the windows fully closed and cleaning their weather stripping. I ran a garden hose over the roof today and sprayed the seals without getting anything wet inside, so I think I'm water tight.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Rinsed it off and wiped down the wheels after it got a bunch of wet leaves and stuff stuck to it, we have been getting some thunderstorms. I totally love this paint color on a cloudy day. It looks intimidating to me. In the bright sun it seems like it's just too much of the one color and looks some shades lighter. Down the road when things are sorted I'll have the glass tinted a bit darker, I think that contrast will help.

I found today I'm missing my rear wheel spoilers/ flap things. Noticed some glue residue and it occurred to me. Not sure how I will address that, I could go get the ones from the black car I suppose. They are small enough that it wouldn't look too out of place for them to be black. I may also just get the glue off and leave them off. It took me a week to notice they were missing.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Finally got some parts in yesterday to work with. Got in a couple hours of work before I had to wrap it up.

Installed a new cowl piece and radiator. That went together pretty quickly.

New battery cover in place. For anyone who may need this part in the future the R172 uses the same part.
Is this hole open like this on your R171 or am I still missing things? I can see the battery down in there.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Put new filters in the intake system and put it on the car. Later I noticed a tab that connects to the lower cover was broken, so I took it back off, swapped the filters and installed another one with no damage.

Got quite a few of the issues under the hood sorted. Starting to come together.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Time to get some headlights going for this thing. The drivers side light I picked up isn't quite as clear as the passengers side now that I've set them next to each other. Still both are a huge improvement over the faded light that was in the car, pictured front. Look at the drivers side, it looks a little off. The decorative bezel is loose from the projector making it look off center. Only one way to fix it.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)

Made a pit stop at a different parts yard I had heard about. No slk cars but snagged a few things from an e350 and an interesting item from a cls550. So I'm putting the radiator in and I'm missing a coolant hose o ring and a clip off the thermostat housing. About 5 dollars worth of parts, the problem is getting them right away. I placed an overnight parts order that took 6 days to ship before the overnight happened. Annoying. So I grabbed some used o rings and clips, and a spare ignition coil and some other odds and ends. The little square things are buttons from the radio, someone couldn't get it out due to improper tools and broke the screen.

I did find this gem today.

However it's from a 2006 a cls550 and it looks slightly different from what I need. Also in this pic the California central gateway module arrived today. Hoping to have some time to work on it again tomorrow. Life keeps trying to get in the way of my car time.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Forgot to mention I finally found door tweeters. Needed just 1 but I found 5. Also this yard charged me 31.99 for the head unit. Lower buttons are worn but I grabbed them from a damaged radio, they seem to pop right off. I'm not sure what I can do with it, but I know it's worth much more than 32 bucks. Worst case I'll ebay it.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

Used the junkyard clip on the top radiator hose and o ring on the lower hose. Connected and filled cooling system. Took nearly 2.5 gallons of coolant to fill it. To my surprise the system is solid. Nothing is leaking.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Drained the trans and refilled it with fresh synthetic ATF. Check my premium quality transmission filling rig. It's a windshield washer pump connected to silicone hoses to the trans filler adapter. Worked really well, took just a few moments to pump the trans to over full. Let it drain back to a trickle as directed and reinstalled the drain plug.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

Central gateway was not the answer to all of my problems. Still have issues with tail lamps and license plate lights. They run at all times, and last night the display stated it was making an S.O.S. call. However I do now have 5 malfunction errors on the instrument cluster instead of 3, so communications have improved.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Removed this old radar equipment that was installed to the interior fuse panel. Eliminating any add ons, this is all I have found.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts