Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys first I want to say thanks to the staff and members of this forum. If it weren't for SLK world I would have never found this car, so thanks everyone who contributes to this place. Recently I had been looking for a project car and had a few things in mind before finally zeroing in on the R171 body style. The goal being to find a car that needs work, but preferably other than body or major paint work. I wasn't having much luck locally so I tried to bid on a couple cars on copart auctions, that didn't work out. Probably for the better.

I had already visited this forum quite a few times while researching the slk so I thought I should look here to see what was selling when I happened on a thread in the parts for sale section.
*SOLD* - 2006 SLK350 “Designo” Part Out

I fired off an email explaining I was interested in buying it for a project depending on what was left and of course the price. The cheaper the better, keep the motor and trans I don't even care. Turns out he let me have the whole thing for a good price which leaves me with a good chunk of the project budget to dump into it. I agreed to buy the car without looking at it personally after talking with him by phone and getting a better idea of where the car sits. My main concern was that all of the body panels were present and not badly misaligned, and that it was on 4 wheels that were attached to the car. Those criteria were met with flying colors.

Overall known condition:
previous owner purchased at 185k miles as a parts donor car to repair another R171. Nothing structural has been removed from the car and the shell and panels all look to be straight. Carfax report shows one incident some years back relating to body damage which states minor front damage. Otherwise clean carfax, one entry says balance shaft replaced about 2 years ago. That could be good or bad, depends if they did a good job.

Known exterior issues:
A few mild door dings the worst in the drivers door, a small dent at the top of the driver's front pillar and some scratches here and there, mostly on top of the trunk lid unfortunately. The passenger mirror glass is cracked and the turn signal repeater is broken as well. It is missing the drivers headlamp and passengers tail lamp. There's one small crack in the rear bumper on the passengers side corner. The foam inserts are missing from the front bumper as well as the lower support brackets. Hood is in great shape with the exception of missing vent grilles and whatever goes on the underside under the grilles. Didn't see any rock chips but I wasn't looking too hard yet. Fender liners and belly pan are missing. Drivers side headlamp washer is missing, went with the headlight. Windshield wiper arms, plastic cowl covering and wiper blades are missing.

Known engine compartment issues:
Radiator and upper hose are missing. Air intake hoses are missing. Battery cover missing, fuse box cover missing, hood liner missing, radiator isolators and mounts are missing, cowl that the intake hoses attach to is damaged. I was told a module was removed near the battery somewhere but I have yet to pinpoint what that was.

Known interior issues:
The head unit and speakers are missing, center console lid is missing, drivers seat trim that houses the seat adjustment switches is missing. The drivers seat side bolster leather is in shreds which is a bummer because I really like the way the seats are stitched in the middle sections. The shift boot and knob are missing. Missing a drivers interior door handle pull which I have learned are discontinued and angers me deeply. I thought I had one but turns out I have 2 passengers sides and 0 drivers sides. Most of the speakers were removed so the door panels and other things were taken apart and loose from the car. The door sill trims are missing. Aside from a few missing parts, a mild case of the factory plastic coating peeling off the parts and needing a deep, deep cleaning the interior is mostly there and is a good starting point for me. I'm more than happy with it. Steering wheel is in very nice shape for the cars age and mileage with just one spot of wear on one of the buttons at first inspection. I can live with that. There are a few items missing from the trunk, the lower tray that covers the spare tire, the spare tire itself and a couple other related things, roadside kit, tow hook etc.

I put a deposit down on it and a few days later drove a couple states over about 4.5 hours to his location to finally see the car, pay for it in full and do the paperwork. With the title in hand, now to have the car transported. After lining up 3 companies and 3 companies failing to actually do any work I finally got in touch with a straight shooter in the business on my 4th try. It all just happened to work out, he was not that far out from where the car was and picked it up within hours of our conversation and had it to me less than 24 hours later. Aside from being on the ball and easy to work with he was able to back a giant trailer into some tricky spots at both locations to load and unload the car. There was no battery in the car so he couldn't unlock the steering column at pick up which made it more difficult obviously. Thank you driver Rick for going to the car and getting it onto a trailer when others seemed reluctant because it might take a little effort. That's huge with me. Happily paid him his asking price. The only thing left was to get it off of his trailer. He offered to just push it off by hand, so I dropped in a new glass mat battery and hopped inside so I could steer it where it needed to go. As it rolled down the ramps and off the trailer the driver joked "that's the furthest it's went in a long time on its own." Very funny Rick. Car did not immediately burst into flames upon connecting a new battery, which is promising. That was a fear of mine for some reason. I ended up paying right at what I had budgeted for transport, so no big deal there.

So that's the story of how I got my 2006 SLK 350 project car from the parts section of this forum to my house. Stay tuned, as I go over the car I will post updates, and likely have questions and encounter issues that hopefully you guys can help me sort. The biggest thing missing from this car was simply an owner who wants to drive it. That's not the case anymore. I plan to use this thread to document the project as I go, there may be gaps in updates as I await mail order parts and overnight parts from Japan. Thanks for reading.

mods if there is a better section for this type of thread feel free to move it there, just please let me know you have done so by PM.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Being somewhat close to Chicago has some advantages to a car guy. Namely a very competitive used parts market. Found WDBWK5EA4AF231211 a 2010 SLK 300 at a breakers yard about 35 minutes from me. I took 3 trips to this car and bought whatever I could carry and some things I should not have moved on my own, making sure to save every nut, bolt, clip and mystery part. From what I can tell this thing had a battery or front battery module meltdown, possibly from the secondary air pump ordeal I was reading about on this forum. I know what this yard paid for this whole car, and let's just say they made their money back just from me. I missed out on a set of nice condition beige seats from this car. That's ok though. I don't do good with light colored T shirts, I would imagine seats are the same. :) I took the complete roof, rear subframe, differential and half shafts, every electronic module from the windshield back including the rear SAM, every speaker, the remaining interior pieces including the dash. The only thing left inside the cockpit of that car is the carpet. I took the trunk lid, trunk lid hinges, passengers door, and on and on. I've got a third of this thing in my basement right now.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Some things I didn't find at the junkyard car I ordered from ebay. Passenger's side bi-xenon light to replace the hazed one in the car, bought a drivers side too it arrived a different day so not pictured but it has a nice clean lens too. I cannot do hazy headlights, its a personal code thing. I also despise trying to polish them, they fog back up too quickly once you remove the factory coating in my experiences. Also scored a clean pair of door sills.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So, I'm sitting at the computer late one night with a list of parts I want in front of me just going down the list estimating what each item will cost. I can't drive a mercedes benz with a ripped up drivers seat, and used seats for these things are not cheap. I notice on ebay the trend is to sell the top or bottom half of the seat, which I suppose helps with shipment but I want whole seats and I'm not paying 600-800 dollars for 10+ year old chairs. Then I happened upon an ad. In the ad were a pair of all black seats and the listing stated the price of 180 dollars was for each seat. That's not bad really. Guy is located near St. Louis about 4.5 hours from here. I sent him a message offering him 280 for the pair picked up. Also asked him what other SLK parts he had laying around with a short list of what I was immediately after. Hood grilles, passengers side mirror and shift knob and boot.

The following morning I was sound asleep at 7am having been up til who knows when reading about car parts. When I awoke there were several text messages from this guy, a counter offer of 300 for both seats, and the rest of the messages all detailed photos of the parts I asked about. He had everything I requested, all in great shape with the exception of the mirror which had some deep scratches in the painted portion. Good thing I don't need the painted portion.

So a day or two later I mounted up and rode straight through St. Louis to a town just east of there, paid the man and loaded up two very near mint seats with 37k miles on them, two hood grilles, a shift knob and boot and one scratched silver mirror. This car was a silver 2007 SLK 280 VIN number: WDBWK54F37F166535. This guy was really easy to work with and currently has the engine and trans from this car for sale very cheap. If anyone is interested I can put you in touch with him. I met him at a construction yard looking place, just a fenced in area with some semi trailers for storage. The kind of place they shoot bad guys doing business in movies. As happy as I was to get these seats, I was equally as happy to get back on the road and head home. I have no other business in that area, so I drove straight back. Spent about 10 hours in the car that day to get these seats. I'll get some better pics when I take them outside. I brought them into my living room because my space is currently limited due to other projects. Wiped them down with lexol cleaner and then conditioner which they really soaked up. There is next to no wear on these seats, only the slightest tiny bit on the drivers side bolster. According to the vin data these have the exact options as my current seats so I don't expect any issues. They are full power, heated, air scarf, the works.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

This is my current drivers seat situation. I may attempt to fix the bolster myself or have it repaired professionally yet as I do really like the designo seat stitching. I just cannot stand to look at this for now.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Put the speakers back into the doors so I can put the door panels back on. I had planned on doing this much later in the project, but then discovered I need door panels so the windows roll all the way up when you close the doors. The speakers from the 2010 SLK mounted right up and the wiring connectors were an exact fit.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,123 Posts
Wow! What a great project. A car reborn. Great pics... and that's the longest trailer I've ever seen. It's a good looking car. Keep us posted.!

Maya ~ Taptalk

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Repair Kit171-820-05-141$21.42-
Repair Kit171-820-06-141$20.83-
Radiator Lower Insulator171-504-01-142$12.38-
Radiator Bracket171-504-05-402$10.00-
Radiator Rubber Mount203-504-01-122$6.42-
Upper Hose Bracket210-501-00-201$2.50-
Hose Clamp001-995-17-441$1.19-
Upper Hose171-501-01-821$39.20-
Cover171-540-00-821$32.13-
Under Cover171-889-01-251$42.71-
Air Duct171-830-00-441$68.44-
Air Baffle171-505-00-301$24.99
First round of new parts were ordered with quick shipping a couple days ago. A new radiator arrived before the car, I think that was the first thing I bought for it. I hope to revive the current drivetrain and get some more miles out of it but I am also prepared for the worst. Just need the radiator parts to arrive so I can dump some fresh fluids in this thing and test it out. Picked up a transmission filler adapter from amazon to use with my mityvac pump.

Car has some intense battery drain happening. Although I did not check the charge level of the new battery and just threw it in the car straight off the shelf, it was drained flat in less than 2 days. The only nice thing about missing that hood grille and battery cover is you can connect your battery charger without opening the hood. That's what I've been up to, chasing electrical demons. Something is angry below the center console and buzzes really loudly any time the key is on. Whatever it is, it's not right. Sometimes the rear foglights and license plate lights will just stay on no matter what you do, until you unplug the passengers tail light connector. I replaced the missing passenger tail light with a used factory hella light and it seems to work fine otherwise. I'm hoping the light issues have to do with the headlamps being out of the car right now. I'll figure it out.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
605 Posts
Wow! What a great project. A car reborn. Great pics... and that's the longest trailer I've ever seen. It's a good looking car. Keep us posted.!

Maya ~ Taptalk
and that's the longest trailer I've ever seen.
Yes, that one was impressive :cool:

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Swapped the glass and turn signal lens from the silver mirror over to mine with some help from searching this forum. Spent more time reading about it than doing it, but didn't break anything that wasn't already broken. Passenger's mirror is fully fixed.

Attachments

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
605 Posts
View attachment 583579
Swapped the glass and turn signal lens from the silver mirror over to mine with some help from searching this forum. Spent more time reading about it than doing it, but didn't break anything that wasn't already broken. Passenger's mirror is fully fixed.
Yes, reading threads at this site is very helpful, I spend hours here every day :cool:

Reactions: 2seats3pedals

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Spent a little time pushing buttons seeing what systems are intact and what needs attention. The display says some conflicting info when I try to put the roof down. The good news is that I hear the pump kick on and some slight movement if I push the switch to put the top up. My guess is some ABS related issue is causing this, shorted speed sensor or something. I should have some better diagnostic gear showing up soon, which will help.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

After taking the center console back apart I have found the pictured white part to be the one making all of the noise. I have another center console so I took the part from it, and in doing so realized its going to be hard to put back together due to the tiny springs. I don't even know what this thing is or what it does yet. What I do know is it should not be making a constant buzzing noise when the key is on, which means I must have some electrical problem elsewhere that are disrupting this thing. Disconnected the battery while I look the electrical system over further.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,521 Posts
View attachment 583622 View attachment 583623

After taking the center console back apart I have found the pictured white part to be the one making all of the noise. I have another center console so I took the part from it, and in doing so realized its going to be hard to put back together due to the tiny springs. I don't even know what this thing is or what it does yet. What I do know is it should not be making a constant buzzing noise when the key is on, which means I must have some electrical problem elsewhere that are disrupting this thing. Disconnected the battery while I look the electrical system over further.
Center console lid is part of the CL system. Electric lock for that lid? Just a guess.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You nailed it Pete, searched for center console lock and found a whole thread with pictures about it. R171 Centre console central locking repair Maybe it won't be so difficult after all with this to go on.

I looked over as much of the wiring in the car as I could find yesterday. As of right now I have one pair of wires near the passengers side headlight wiring loom that had previously been repaired with crimp fittings, and whatever was attached to those is now gone. Inside the cabin I have multiple connectors unplugged I need to sort under the dashboard. A 10 pin and 3 pin hanging near the hood release latch I can't find homes for yet. The driver's knee airbag was unplugged so I plugged that back in. Hopefully that is the only SRS issue. There are a few connectors behind the center console that look like they would go to a phone system or something along those lines. Probably won't be needing those.

In the trunk near the drivers tail light there are two connectors unplugged. I can't find anything they should plug into either. They look like power leads and aren't related to the communications and antenna stuff on the left of the trunk. Some of these may have never been plugged into anything but I know I'm not that lucky.

In other news: I was able to find a drivers inside door handle yesterday, turns out the same member that sold me the car has a brand new one he can sell me. Literally the only single unit of that part I have been able to find new or used without buying another whole door panel. I keep trapping myself in the drivers side and having to climb over and get out the passenger door.

Picked up a few more small things I needed from a warehouse site I like to use. They don't stock much for the SLK that I need currently but are good for some of the disposable items like wiper blades and filters.

2006 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK350 3.5L V6
HENGST​
E2904LCcabin air filter
$ 15.96​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 15.96​
MAHLE / CLEVITE​
LX804S (LX804/S)air filter
$ 16.29​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 16.29​
VALEO​
604485wiper blade
$ 6.28​
$ 0.00​
2​
$ 12.56​

My dealership only list is pretty expensive right now, I'm holding off on that order for two reasons. One I hope to find some of the inner bumper parts used to save some money, and two because I keep having to add things to it.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have determined the 2 connectors by the driver's side dash should be going to the central gateway module. This forum has yet to fail me when I search an issue. Apparently I'm a liar and I did not take every electronic module from inside the 2010 because after looking through all of my loose parts twice I don't have this one. I'm going to look again, and get a little more organized in the process. I'm hoping I do have it because I also thought I had the drivers lower dash panel from the 2010 and I can't find that now either.

Just ordered a central module on ebay though, at 15.99 shipped I won't be upset if I misplaced it and actually do already have it. Hopefully it works and shuts that center console lock up in the process, and tells the car its not really moving so I can put the roof down. From what I have read it's like a hub of can bus communications among different systems so I'm guessing it's responsible for most of my electrical issues. It also explains why I have been unable to pull any codes from the car. Which is good news but for a different reason, it means my current diagnostic setup likely is working just fine, it just can't talk to the car without this module installed. I actually can hear that center console thing change sound when I try to pull codes the first time, so something is happening. I'll be leaving all of that alone until the module comes. It's been a good session of troubleshooting the car this afternoon and exactly how I wanted to spend my labor day. Now to wait for the mail to come.

So in the first new parts order I picked up a fuse box cover that goes under the hood on the driver's side. Guess what I found under the hood today hiding by the engine? A perfectly good fuse box cover. Need to be cautious with that. I hate returning things almost as much as I hate buying parts I dont really need. At least my fuses are covered up properly now. I'll put the new one on when it arrives, one less thing to clean. Stickers are flaking off the old one.

Biggest development of the day is a positive: Couldn't get the car to actually crank the engine until today. While I was looking over all three of the fuse boxes in the car I was sure to have a look at the ones labeled something along the lines of "engine start enable" on the diagram which apply to three fuses. Turns out I was missing a 15 amp fuse under the hood. I grabbed one and put it in, then wanted to bump the starter to see if that was all that was wrong. I wish I had recorded this moment to video. The moment I hit the key, the engine immediately started!! I didn't even hear a full revolution of the starter it was like I had just driven this car to lunch earlier and the engine was still warm. It scared me half to death and I immediately turned it back off, there is no radiator in the thing and I did not expect it to want to even turn over let alone fire up! So that's a big check off the list today. Engine is capable of starting. I may have ran it 3 full seconds while I took mental realization of what was happening and told myself to cut the key, but it sounded fine.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts