Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might remember, I began my SLK search a few short months ago. I decided on the 350 SLK, however I've not finalized the deal...I'm waiting on the first SLK that comes into my area (Florida) that is the right price along with the right color. I'm looking at years from '06-'08 and wont settle until the right one comes in with the right price. Thus far, they've been cycling through 2-3 every week. Before I end up buying though, I was curious, do the '06's come with a nav? The reason I ask this is because I was under the impression that some did, however I have yet to see one with it. Just curious...thanks friends!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
US spec vehicles, model year 2006 SLK's do come with NAV as long as it was part of premium package option (IIRC premium package III, where it has COMAND and SAT/NAV)

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
it's recently come out that if you want the most current sat nav system from the 09+ cars, you should look for a R171 with the most basic system, as that is plug and play. The earlier sat nav systems had a much more complicated wiring harness making it a lot more work to update.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
As some of you might remember, I began my SLK search a few short months ago. I decided on the 350 SLK, however I've not finalized the deal...I'm waiting on the first SLK that comes into my area (Florida) that is the right price along with the right color. I'm looking at years from '06-'08 and wont settle until the right one comes in with the right price. Thus far, they've been cycling through 2-3 every week. Before I end up buying though, I was curious, do the '06's come with a nav? The reason I ask this is because I was under the impression that some did, however I have yet to see one with it. Just curious...thanks friends!
Got one:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___MSRP-62K-NEVER-ONE-THIS-LOADED-BEFORE-CLICK-DETAILS_W0QQitemZ280311285290QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item280311285290&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72:317|65:12|39:1|240:1318
It's for sale a couple of miles from my home. I love the wood interior.

dj

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
it's recently come out that if you want the most current sat nav system from the 09+ cars, you should look for a R171 with the most basic system, as that is plug and play. The earlier sat nav systems had a much more complicated wiring harness making it a lot more work to update.
Yeah, it's a trivial install, and obviously looks and works great. The only downside is that the US NGT2.5 COMANDS are not that easy to come by, and are running $2500-3000 usd.

Still, hell of a lot better system than the NGT2 option.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Yeah, it's a trivial install, and obviously looks and works great. The only downside is that the US NGT2.5 COMANDS are not that easy to come by, and are running $2500-3000 usd.

Still, hell of a lot better system than the NGT2 option.
John, I've only loosely been following the COMAND threads over the last few months, and I apologise for that. But in a nutshell, what's the diff between the 2 and the 2.5 on the face, and how to tell which I have? I'm extremely happy with, nav works well, etc. Just curious.

thanks,
dj

'06 55, no electronics mods to my knowledge, sat nav code 530

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
2.5 is completely different, and much better, it is comparable if not class leading compared to the systems from all the other manufacturers...while 2.0 is about 13 year old technology.

We both have 2.0. 2.5 was introduced in 2009 cars.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
2.5 is completely different, and much better, it is comparable if not class leading compared to the systems from all the other manufacturers...while 2.0 is about 13 year old technology.

We both have 2.0. 2.5 was introduced in 2009 cars.
What he said! Your best bet is to take a drive over to your dealer and take a '09 for a spin - it really is a night and day difference.

I'm working hard to get a good, reliable source for US spec NGT2.5 COMAND HU's. While I strongly suspect I could clone the drive in a US spec comand and put it in a EUR spec comand, I've not had the chance - or the time - to mess around with it....

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
What he said! Your best bet is to take a drive over to your dealer and take a '09 for a spin - it really is a night and day difference.

I'm working hard to get a good, reliable source for US spec NGT2.5 COMAND HU's. While I strongly suspect I could clone the drive in a US spec comand and put it in a EUR spec comand, I've not had the chance - or the time - to mess around with it....
I think I need to stay out of the showroom for a bit. Everytime I walk in there I'm several thousand dollars lighter! I'm actually very happy with mine at the moment, just curious. Besides, it will give me something to upgrade in a year or so...

However, keep us posted on the upgrade choices. I'm always game for a weekend spent with my head in the footwell. Maybe we can have the Great Southeastern HU Install next summer!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've actually bought the wiring loom required to convert my audio20 to ntg 2.5, as I did in the thread already on my sister's 350(thanks to C200!) and that's before I've even bought my own car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.