Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at 06-07 model years, in an attempt to avoid first model year issues- particularly with the 7 speed transmission.

However- were there any changes to the transmission in 2006? I'm now looking at a 2005 at what I believe to be a good price.

I recently drove a 08, it seemed to shift a lot smoother than the 06 I drove a while back. Can the older cars transmission software be updated?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I don’t believe there are any differences in the transmission between 05-08. Is it possible that when you drove the 08 you were in C (comfort mode) and in S (sport mode) when you drove the 06? In comfort mode the transmission starts in second gear, the up-shifts occur sooner, and I believe the shifts are less abrupt.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What's TCU Firmware update and who can perform it? anyone from UK done this on an 05/06 car and what was the cost, notice any improvements etc.
How can you tell it's been done?

·
Registered
390 Posts
TCU = Transmission Control Unit. Basically the computer that governs function of the transmission. It has non-volatile memory to store its programming. That memory can be reflashed (new programs loaded)at your Mercedes dealer. Don't know what they would charge for the service since the car is out of warranty. Here in the US, there are also some tuners that will reflash your TCU with a performance tune. They may have copies of the factory TCO programs for testing that they would be willing to load. Don't know if you have the same sort of shops in the UK.

MY ECU (engine control unit) has been reflashed with a performance tune from EuroCharged. Not a hard thing to do at all. It just involves connection a computer to the car's network.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,722 Posts
Hi All

my TCU was updated were updated as part of a service(main dealer) , I think they always check the firmware level as part of a service . I think it was a little smoother but its was afew years ago now .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have any of you had problems with your transmission in an early car?

Sounds like there's no reason to avoid a 05.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,136 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
I've been looking at 06-07 model years, in an attempt to avoid first model year issues- particularly with the 7 speed transmission.

However- were there any changes to the transmission in 2006? I'm now looking at a 2005 at what I believe to be a good price.

I recently drove a 08, it seemed to shift a lot smoother than the 06 I drove a while back. Can the older cars transmission software be updated?

Thanks in advance.
The brakes changed at some point so you may want to consider that if it's important to you. The transmission isn't a problem as long as it's been maintained. Definitely check to see if the car has had a good service history.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The brakes changed at some point so you may want to consider that if it's important to you. The transmission isn't a problem as long as it's been maintained. Definitely check to see if the car has had a good service history.
Yes, I'd prefer the 6 piston brakes, so 05-07, unless it has a 030 pack- which seem to never come up for sale (with low miles).

I know the transmission fluid needs changing every 40k. Ideally i'd find one that had it done earlier or has less than 40k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Yes, I'd prefer the 6 piston brakes, so 05-07, unless it has a 030 pack- which seem to never come up for sale (with low miles).

I know the transmission fluid needs changing every 40k. Ideally i'd find one that had it done earlier or has less than 40k miles on it.
The ones with the 030 pack seem to command a high price but I wish there was actually some performance to the package.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Does the transmission oil need changing every 40k? The service schedule only calls for one change at 40k.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,136 Posts
Does the transmission oil need changing every 40k? The service schedule only calls for one change at 40k.
Not true, Under 80000 required it says to change the automatic transmission fluid.

at least my 09 manual says so. I know your 05 doesn't specify

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I did mine close to 40K (~38K) and plan to change the fluid every 4 years or 20K...which means that I'll be changing it in the summer as it would have been 4 years (just turned 50K)

I know the manual says once at 40K....but its the same fluid going in that requires changing at 40k?
:bs:

Sounds like either magic fluid or a trans failure in the making....change it, don't skimp on ~$350.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
The difference between 2005 and say 2007 SLK 55 may be the shift buttons vs. paddle shifters, although paddle shifters may be retrofitted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts