Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was driving on the highway and all the sudden felt a shudder, like brake being applied very quickly. The dash immediately displayed BAS and ESP malfunctions.

I drove into a parking lot and noticed CEL also on.

I started the engine again, and the engine cranks a while before it would start.

Upon checking error codes at home using OBD, I retrieved the P2015 and P0335.

Brought the car to the mechanics, who is famous in the community for knowing about Mercedes, he connected his OBD and revved the engine a couple times. He determined that it is the intake manifold tumbler plate, and he would recommend replacing the intake manifold assembly.

Is there any way to inspect and determine if the tumbler plate is broken?

The error codes are different compare to typical broken tumbler plate broken being P2004, P2005, and P2006.

Furthermore, he said I do not need a crank sensor. I need a cam sensor replaced. I would like to ask for your opinion regarding the validity of his statement.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just inspected the tumbler plastic piece. It is not broken.

Does it mean the Intake manifold runner position sensor is faulty? Does anyone know how to troubleshoot it?

Much thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
I have no first-hand experience but it does appear your codes are different from the usual tumble flap issue. Your issue may be related to the long runner, which is a separate mechanism from the tumble flaps.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Both components are in the same area BTW - just under the MAF. Any chance you're had some work done in that area?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no first-hand experience but it does appear your codes are different from the usual tumble flap issue. Your issue may be related to the long runner, which is a separate mechanism from the tumble flaps.
Hi,
Could you please elaborate? Any chance you could point me to some literature about this?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
After I have confirmed that the tumble linkage is not broken, I had the idea that the IMRC (intake manifold control runner) sensor might be faulty.

I was able to test the operation of the IMRC sensor and confirmed it is not faulty.

Now I am dumb founded. I could replace the intake manifold, but I would like to know for sure it would fix the problem with P2015.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi guys,
Just want to share an update.

P0335: Crankshaft position sensor - I ordered a CPS from Nanuet mercedes (through Amazon) and replaced it. I cleared the code, and after a couple drives, the code does not come back. As a reference for others that might encounter this type of fault, if CEL shows this code, and sometimes it takes longer for the engine to turn over, it's CPS.

https://www.fixmyoldride.com/Mercedes-Benz-crankshaft-position-sensor-problem.html

The code P0215 though does not result in CEL, but it shows up in as a pending code. I guess eventually, it will register as a real fault code. I will replace the intake manifold this weekend and hopefully, it will fix this code too.

Interestingly enough, in the pending fault list, a new code shows up: P0301, which is misfire in cylinder 1. I guess the diagnosis is easy enough. I will try to swap #1 coil pack with another cylinder and see if the fault will follow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is interesting that P2015 persists in as a permanent fault when I read the code with OBDII. However, it does not result in CEL.

P0301 is like ghost. It comes and goes making it harder to diagnose as changing the location of the coil pack making it disappear does not mean it is due to the change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts