Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
*Registered
2009 SLK200/2008 SLK55 AMG
17 Posts
Hi Simon

It's unlikely that parts will be available as I'll be making the secondary cat and resonator section replaceable so should I fall foul of any change in rules for MOT or be subject to a VDRS

There are other members here who have carried out similar decat and x-pipe - maybe a request in the parts wanted section may yield the parts you want if they are cluttering up a garage somewhere
Thank you

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thank you
No problems - I did have a read of your thread on excessively noisy exhaust - but you didn't post up any pictures of the system underneath - if you do go down the route of offering up a "swap for std" it would probably be beneficial to have pictures showing the quality of work carried out

I've seen a lot of pictures of "modified" SLK exhausts and the std of fabrications varies a lot

If the work has been done well and it looks nice and neat you may well find someone willing to swap OE noise levels for "x-pipe and secondary cat removed system"

However it due the construction of the OE system - it would be a manifold back swap (ie whole system)

Primary cats and Secondary cats are in the first sections - they join to the resonator with a double flange and the resonator and rear boxes appear to be another complete system (unless the rear boxes have joiners on them that I haven't seen)

·
*Registered
2009 SLK200/2008 SLK55 AMG
17 Posts
No problems - I did have a read of your thread on excessively noisy exhaust - but you didn't post up any pictures of the system underneath - if you do go down the route of offering up a "swap for std" it would probably be beneficial to have pictures showing the quality of work carried out

I've seen a lot of pictures of "modified" SLK exhausts and the std of fabrications varies a lot

If the work has been done well and it looks nice and neat you may well find someone willing to swap OE noise levels for "x-pipe and secondary cat removed system"

However it due the construction of the OE system - it would be a manifold back swap (ie whole system)

Primary cats and Secondary cats are in the first sections - they join to the resonator with a double flange and the resonator and rear boxes appear to be another complete system (unless the rear boxes have joiners on them that I haven't seen)
Hi there, I don’t think I can advertise or pm anyone yet as new member, I won’t be able to photograph anything at the moment as I have put the car on a sorn till work allows more driving time. It seems all the parts are welded together now so was going to reinstate the clamped joins when the new parts are fitted,it is rather loud,I don’t know if you live near York, but you are very welcome to come and listen to one with bits removed? Kind regards Simon

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hi there, I don’t think I can advertise or pm anyone yet as new member, I won’t be able to photograph anything at the moment as I have put the car on a sorn till work allows more driving time. It seems all the parts are welded together now so was going to reinstate the clamped joins when the new parts are fitted,it is rather loud,I don’t know if you live near York, but you are very welcome to come and listen to one with bits removed? Kind regards Simon
I think pictures are essential when looking for a swap - have a look at this thread linked below - some very good and some not so good fabrication work

I'm in East Anglia so not very close but not a million miles away - plenty of videos on the forum and on you-tube showing what it sounds like with secondaries and resonator replaced with x-pipe - if yours is louder than that then I wonder what else has been done??

A friend has a TVR Tuscan (straight six 4.0 Litre) and all the car has had done was the rear boxes have been "internally sleeved" - it is monumentally loud - he had it noise tested intending to do a track day in it and it measured 111db on the static test at 75% or max rpm - Limit is 92db - needless to say his aspirations of taking it on track need to be on a no limits day.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts