Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, a few months ago i noticed the front springs were both broken on my 350 and the car was obviously sitting very nose heavy which it always seems to have done really, so i decided to purchase all the parts needed over time as it was deep winter and was not using the car, so the list was, sachs front shocks, meyle top mounts, drop links, boge rear shocks, and meyle drop links, now the car has what i thought standard height (comfort) from factory, so i decided to lower it a tad as the rear sat at what looked like a silly height,, so i bought the rear spring seats for the sports suspension and some new surplex springs (sports) so i stripped the rears first and instantly noticed the huge difference in seat height (30mm down to 5mm rubber seats) so assembled all that after a lot of swearing as bolts were solid and looked like it had never been apart, strange thing is when i dismantled the front, i noticed the front shocks were at least 30mm shorter than the new sachs shocks in height, it was really noticeable, now the original shocks looked in really bad shape and you could push them down with hardly any pressure, the springs had 2 blue dots and a white dot, which leads me to believe they are comfort springs, so the car seemed to have a mix match of shocks even though it looked as if they had never been changed (springs maybe at some stage) im just a little confused as i was to believe that the ride height is determined by shock length on the cars, front that is, anyhow strange rant over, the car is now sat at a nice height with a slight rake to the front and now handles and feels like new, no bangs or sloppy handling, just smooth progresive handling, Big Smiles:cool::)

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
644 Posts
Ride height is set by springs (and car weight compressing the springs). (remove the shocks, and the car will still sit at same height on the springs)

Shocks (dampers) control the bounce (dynamic properties) in the springs. Wrong length shocks can restrict the suspension movement on full compression, or full extension though.

Anyway sounds like you had a mismatch of parts, and that can never be good. Glad its sorted now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts