Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! Hope all is well in your SLK world!

I'm installing a complete new head unit with all the bells and whistles. I'm having a time finding a route for the rear and front cameras.
I've looked everywhere on this site and the internet, but nothing showed me where and how to go through the firewalls.

In the trunk, I have removed all the necessary panels except the driver's side. I believe this would be the best route to avoid the convertable top. I can't figure out how to get this panel off because it looks like you have to slide it forward. I'm thinking of following the rear SAM loom, but don't know if there is room for a video cable.

In the front, I want to mount another camera to avoid those nasty parking lot bumpers! :surprise:

Any wisdom parted to me is always appreciated.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,762 Posts
ahhh search:

from nitro28:

I just did this about a month ago. From the head unit I went down through the middle console up behind the upper back console and under the plastic edge that bends over the deck that is behind the seat. Then you are in the trunk already. I then went over to the driver side and pulled the wire under the carpet until it was at the bottom of the hinges that allow the trunk lid to raise way back when you lower the top. The hinge I am talking about is the part that goes through a brush like slot on the side. YOu need to get to the base of it by removing some of the carpeting or opening the little flap that lets you access that area at the back of the tail light. You need to route your wire from the bottom of that whole hinge assembly or you will pull all your wire completely apart when you try to put the top down. You can then open the plastic wire protectors that hold the wires along the hinge and run your wire up that. Then when you are at the trunk lid go through the rubber grommet and run the wire in the hollow portion of the trunk lid until it is behind the removable plastic cover that gives you access to the back of the trunk latch area. Once there I had to drill a hole to get out to the back of the car right next to the trunk latch. I sealed the new hole up with a rubber grommet and silicone. It is then covered up by the plastic trim piece that surrounds the latch. I did not drill a hole through that trim piece. Just through the metal part of the car. Then I just made a little channel on the underside of the trim piece so the wire could go around it. See my thread for where I tapped into the rear lights at the rear SAM. Works great and very happy I did it.

from search with keywords: go to google type

site:slkworld.com r171 diy install rear camera

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=659hXZjGDYLp_QaM07-ADA&q=site:slkworld.com+r171+diy+install+rear+camera&oq=site:slkworld.com+r171+diy+install+rear+camera&gs_l=psy-ab.12…1848.15285..16988…0.0..1.232.2785.44j2j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....6..0i308i154j0j0i10.WDVKKyUAUvM&ved=0ahUKEwjY56uTrpzkAhWCdN8KHYzpD8AQ4dUDCAs

change key words if u have to :D

·
Registered
653 Posts
Quite easy really for rear camera. I used plastic coated garden wire to drag the cables from the centre console to behind the carpet behind the seat. I removed the outer rear speaker cover to raise the carpet. It's not glued. Then simply fed wires thru the gap behind the rear speaker and seatbelt into the trunk. From there route the wires all the way down behind the carpet to the trunk lid bracket mechanism near the rear lights then tack the camera wires and follow religiously the original wires all the way back to the point where the wires go between the lid panels. Make sure you leave enough slack at the point near the rear lights to allow stretch when roof is lowered. Front camera is a doddle by comparison!

Maya via Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I believe this will be my route. In fact, I already have the plate at the seat belt retainer removed. Tight spaces!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
My camera was not separable from the cable, so I started at the rear running the cable toward the front. Don’t forget to run all wires at the same time.

Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could you provide some details on how you ran the cables to the front camera? Where/how did you pass the cable thru the front firewall?

thanks,
steveg

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,762 Posts
Could you provide some details on how you ran the cables to the front camera? Where/how did you pass the cable thru the front firewall?

thanks,
steveg
Steve, just be aware, though similar, op has a r171 and you have a r172 :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts