Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on the forum! :grin:

I'm looking at a new summer car, and the SLK350 & SLK55 AMG both came to mind. I'm starting my research and need some advice on both models, which year to stay away from, what transmission to avoid and all ins and outs of both cars. Problems that are common on either or both of them and if either of them are worth it?

At first the SLK350 was my first choice, now the SLK55 AMG seems better, is it worth it for the extra money? Cars I'm looking at have around 55-75k miles on them, I assume some repairs will be needed soon?

Thanks and hopefully I can get more details and information on both cars.
JP

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Hi,

You can't go wrong with either model. If higher acceleration and a bit more noise is important then the 55. But the 350 is not a slow car by any means, as it does not sound too bad either. In the twisties, where cornering can be as important as HP, they are very close. It would take a pro-like driver to use the full advantages of the extra HP, imho. A lot, to me, would depend on the base condition of either car. I would rather have a well maintained 350, than a marginal 55. But a 55 is the really the more desirable car, again of course imho. New the price diff is about $20,000+ CDN. So about a 20-25% uptick, I would guess about the same percentage uptick in the used market, maybe even a bit more. If you find two models in close condition, and your budget allows, I would have to cast my vote for the 55. The only thing I regret about buying an SLK (and is not a big regret by any means, I love my 350), is not spending the extra cash for a 55. But someday I will. Good Luck on your hunt, and let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dont do what I did and buy a 300 for your wife when she wanted an AMG but was willing to settle for a 350. All I get is grief for buying her a slow car...

Now something useful - I looked at AMGs but I already have 2 cars that cost stupid money to maintain for simple things like brakes and some of the AMG maintenance costs just for parts appeared to be stratospheric. So a 350 it was going to be - facelift model as they seem to have sorted all the niggles by that point.

Unfortunately spurred on by nagging from the Mrs I did an impulse buy on a 300 with sports pack. Its a fab car and handles like a go kart but it doesnt have the wow factor, my Mrs is right, acceleration is sedate - its probably quite quick compared to your average Euro box but if you are expecting performance its a bit of a let down.

SO dont compromise , if you really want that AMG glued in your seat acceleration nothing else will do.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
Find either a 280 or a 350 with a manual transmission...a proper sports car requires you to use both feet in a coordinated fashion. The 280 is slower than the 350 in a straight line, but not by much. It's also usually lighter, since many (like mine) don't have electric seats or the Airscarf neck heaters. As the Lotus boys will tell you, lighter is always better. I can keep up easily with a local 350 sport package car in the twisties, and my car has standard suspension and base 16" rims. Of course, the fact that I was once a champion local autocrosser might have something to do with that... Point is, manuals are simply more fun and smaller engines only lose out if acceleration is the only thrill you are after.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
415 Posts
IMHO on public roads it is easier to enjoy the acceleration than the handling without fear of "over cooking it" on a corner. Also, I actually had a young guy at a gas station ask me to rev the engine just so he could hear the sound from the V8. I also find that most current "sports cars" now come with auto trans only (Ferrari and Porsche come to mind).

However, this is a personal decision, and only you can decide what your priorities are.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,535 Posts
If you want a manual transmission, then it has to be the 350 (MT not available on the AMG)... But, if you want the AMG looks, V8 sound, AMG acceleration, and you're happy with an auto, then (for me) it has to be the SLK 55 AMG every time! >:D

However, do be aware of the higher maintenance costs associated with the AMG too... especially those 6-pot brakes on the earlier (pre-facelifted) models! :surprise:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.