Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Is there a DIY on tail light replacement?
I got the warning indicator this morning and, honestly, haven't looked for myself to see if it's easy or obvious. But, I figured there's no harn in asking in case it's an arduous or otherwise complicated process. There's a lot of equipment packed into the rear passenger side corner.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,514 Posts
In order to change a lamp in the tail lights,
With the trunk open
Remove cover in right side panel, or first aid kit in left side panel.
Twist bulb socket counterclockwise and pull out. Push bulb into socket, turn counterclockwise and remove.
Insert new bulb in socket, push in and twist clockwise. Reinstall bulb socket, and close cover.

P.S.
Its in the owners manual.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
There is no way I can get my hands in there. It looks like I have to take off the entire left side panels. Any instructions on this?

Thanks, John

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,620 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Brake light not working on one side only

Tried swapping bulbs and holders left to right and still the left brake light not working. Indicators and tail lights all ok on that side. Maybe some contact cleaner required but looks clean enough.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Tried swapping bulbs and holders left to right and still the left brake light not working. Indicators and tail lights all ok on that side. Maybe some contact cleaner required but looks clean enough.
If I were you, I would remove the left tail light. It takes roughly 5 minutes following the removal instructions. It is only 3 bolts. Then I would look for any damage on the actual taillight. My metal ring around the socket had come loose so I used hot glue to reattach it. It's been working fine for several months now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for that suggestion, will do that next time it plays up, right now it's working so will leave well enough alone but lots of suggestions to follow and let's hope everyone else following this thread puts in their back "memory" pocket in case they get the same fault.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.