Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance because I know this topic has been discussed, but I simply cannot find the thread I found previously.

I have owned my SLK for about 6 months and put about 600 miles on it as it is a third car. Everything has worked wonderfully until about a week ago (except for the overhead interior light which never goes out so I have the switch set permanently in the off position :().

Anyway, the more serious problem is that I turn the key to start and absolutely nothing happens! All lights are working, radio, A/C, etc. but every warning light remains on, the automatic transmission will not shift out of park, and there is no starter engagement or clicking noises at all. The transmission gear indicator on the dash does not show 'P', but, a solid black box, even when I use the screwdriver trick to manually move the shift lever out of Park.

After many, many attempts to start, it finally did, but it would not shift out of 1st gear, either automatically or in manual mode. Then when I parked the car, once again it would not start and it hasn't started since!

After reading the posts that I can no longer find, I replaced the battery a few days ago and everything worked. Voila! problem solved...or so I thought. Today I go out to drive the car and once again, the same problem. Battery is fully charged.

Someone said to check the brake switch but where is it and what does it look like? And is that recommendation based on the symptoms I have described above?

Also, a lot of folks in this forum talk about reading codes. Where are they? Are they shown on the dash display or are you using diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot?

Please help. I love my Blue baby, but, it is being very cranky, and the owner is getting there as well!:tazz:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,648 Posts
you can go to pep boys, advance auto, autozone and they will read your codes for free
it is a unit that plugs into the computer lead

have you checked the battery cables for wear/corrosion?

was the previous post you read about the k40 relay or the pse pump?

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Your brake switch will look something like this and will be situated on top / behind the brake pedal so that when you depress the brake pedal it actuates and informs the car that the brake pedal has been pushed !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Benz-SLK-200-230-320-Kompressor-Brake-Pedal-Light-Switch-2000-2004-/180803372139?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model:SLK&hash=item2a18b8846b
I do agree with the curro101. Check the brake light switch first. Then I would check for leaking connector (aka spacer).
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/29857-slk-auto-gear-box-problem-fix.html#post324642
Don't know if leaking problem can cause this kind of problem as yours. But when mine was leaking and I put the car into reverse it just hesitated and revs went up/down. Changed it, and it solved my problem!

And here's some more food for thought:
http://mbworld.org/forums/slk-class-r170/468564-slk320-spilled-drink-stuck-park-replaced-gear-selector.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.