Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Wife has the above, an 2002 SLK200 with the auto box.
This morning the gear lever wouldn't shift out of park. No matter what we tried. I can't hear any solenoid operating around the gearstick when the brake pedal is depressed either. The brake lights are also operating normally. I understand that the locking solenoid operates from the brake light switch? If so it must have two circuits, one for the lights and another for the solenoid? Is this correct?
Is this a common problem?

Alex.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,317 Posts
Alex,

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed!

I spoke with Mercedes, and got a helpful parts guy. The brake light switch was in stock and reasonably priced at £11.52! It had two banks of connectors, and when I stripped back the lower dashboard to reveal the switch, there were two seperate connectors.

Replacing the switch cured the problem, and the gear lever releases properly now as it should.

Also, there is a small semi-circular flap at the bottom end of the gate for the gear lever. Using the allen key tool in the tool-kit, or a suitable rod of screwdriver, the gearstick can be manually released for moving the car.

As usual under dashboard jobs are a bit of a squeeze, but it took 45 mins and was ultimately very cheap to fix!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,317 Posts
Great!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Glad you got it sorted.

In my experience auto boxes usually have a manual release for this event, it'll be described in the manual.

For the record in case anyone stumbles across this in future -On the R171, the process is to pull up the gear stick gaiter and press a yellow button. Best look at the manual for of pics. No tools needed.

It'd be annoying to be stuck in an R170 knowing how to release it but needing a tool to access the release!

·
Registered
27 Posts
2001 SLK320 Auto gear lever locked...help

I have replaced the brake light switch under dash. It's still stuck in park. Any other suggestions??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.