Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again. My first post was shunted off to the new member area. 11 friendly people said Hi!, but no input to questions. Have several decades of experience w/ MB diesels and other various autos to trade for help.

Let's try again

Just acquired a pristine 2002 SLK at a nice price (320 6-cyl E32 engine, 5-speed auto trans, 113K miles) & have a few things to sort out. Car runs great other than these items. Have put 500 miles on it. Your expertise would be welcomed:

1) There are drops of engine oil in the coolant res. Obvious expensive possibilities are a head gasket or cracked head. No oil cooler on front of engine. Are there typical or oft-reported failure points for head or gasket? Have read there is no oil/coolant leak possibility in intake manifold gasket area. Do the all-aluminum head & block have any problem history? Occasionally miss under light load. Haven't gotten code reader in play yet.

2) Auto trans has an occasional jerky 1-2 shift. Just acquired shop dipstick & fluid level seems ok, but color is a yellowish-white and is not as slippery as expected. Now shifting through PRNDL seems jerkier when cold. Any typical issues reported that would cause the strange color fluid? Going to change to Royal Purple Max, but obviously need a thorough flush. Have filter kit on the way, but haven't drained & dropped the pan yet.

3) Feel a driveshaft thump-thump when slow that grows to a vibration. Got under and the flex disks look OK with no visible cracks & driveshaft doesn't have any unexpected play. The differential halfshaft boots are intact & show no leakage. Ideas? Have a new center bearing & support coming.

Thanks in advance for any help. Yeah, know I should have checked it out more thoroughly, but it was a sexy little SiLKy thing at a seemingly great price and what man hasn't fallen for the oldest trick in the book at least once......

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,886 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,682 Posts
Yellowish-white? Just a wild guess: any chance the oil in the expansion reservoir is transmission fluid?

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,597 Posts
Hi and welcome :grin:

Propshaft centre bearing - you may well see torn rubber in the bearing mount and experience movement by hand, maybe also hear a grating when prop is under load

Trans mount and engine mounts are also prone to failure

Expect all those three on a 120k miler so 113k is probs about right

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Water contamination is an obvious possibility. I think the trans cooler is incorporated into the radiator.....Need to get the service manual, but haven't been able to locate one through the site threads.

Forgot to mention that I did drain a pint of engine oil out. After it cooled and settled I saw a few tiny white oil/water emulsion beads at the bottom of the jar, so an engine oil to coolant leak is in play.

The res oil film definitely has an engine oil smell vs. a trans smell according to Olfactory Detector Mark 1 Mod 1.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
for oil in coolant. it is most likely head gasket related. (specially since you have a miss) There is no passage through the intake manifold or in your case the oil cooler. there has, however, been cases where the timing cover leaks coolant into the oil.. I'm not sure if it's the other way around though.

The original trans fluid will be a brown color, so it's likely yours has the original fluid, and it WILL be more jerky. period. no matter what the "lifetime fluid" guys tell you. I would recommend doing a filter/fluid change. BUT DO NOT FLUSH!

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
736 Posts
There is an oil cooler next to the filter housing, failure of its seals is most common cause of oil contamination.

It does sound like you need new fluid, 5 speed fluid is short interval.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The engine does not have a cooler beside the oil filter housing (unless it is disguised as a power steering pump reservoir).

VIN ends in 255415 if that further identifies the configuration. Mfg Date 11/01

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,425 Posts
@SmokeyBen after you provide them with the VIN,

You can get your free data card HERE

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doesn't have the side cooler. A couple of coolant hoses go off to the right front corner below the headlight, but haven't traced that out yet. My 1986 300SDL has an air-to-oil cooler there.

Is there a reliable web link to a paper or disk or on-line copy of the service manual? Will pay $$ for one.

VIN WDBKK65G62F255415

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,224 Posts
Doesn't have the side cooler. A couple of coolant hoses go off to the right front corner below the headlight, but haven't traced that out yet. My 1986 300SDL has an air-to-oil cooler there.

Is there a reliable web link to a paper or disk or on-line copy of the service manual? Will pay $$ for one.

VIN WDBKK65G62F255415
My copy of MB EPC (parts catalog) doesn't like that VIN. Are you sure it is correct here?

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
879 Posts
for oil in coolant. it is most likely head gasket related. (specially since you have a miss) There is no passage through the intake manifold or in your case the oil cooler. there has, however, been cases where the timing cover leaks coolant into the oil.. I'm not sure if it's the other way around though.

The original trans fluid will be a brown color, so it's likely yours has the original fluid, and it WILL be more jerky. period. no matter what the "lifetime fluid" guys tell you. I would recommend doing a filter/fluid change. BUT DO NOT FLUSH!

I am with you. This reminds me of my son in law who insisted that a bit of oil in the coolant was ok right up until the Forerunner had a colossal display of steam and other goodies under the hood with a boat on a trailer on the hitch, a canoe on the roof and the family aboard. It was not a great weekend.
Some pressure testing leak down etc, might be informative.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the help so far... needing more....update on subject issues last to first:

3) Driveline thump: got new propeller shaft center bearing & rubber holder mount. Ran out of time to do it myself so had indy shop do the replacement work (gotta get a lift someday). $269 in labor to prove that I have poor troubleshooting skillz since the bearing and holder mount and flex disks were fine. Still have the speed-related thump.....need to elevate rear wheels, put it in gear, & look & listen without doing a Ferris Buhler stunt. Later

2) Did the first xmission fluid change with 4 quarts Royal Purple Max fluid. Original fluid was a light tan. 3/8 inches of milkshake thick sludge in pan. Only light dusting of metal on the magnet. Shifting immediately better, but still have an over-revving 1-2 shift & bumpy 2-3 shift. Will do another fluid/filter change after solving:

1) Determined likely head / gasket leak. Changed engine oil (needed it) and 1000 miles in the oil still looks clean & no noticeable increase in coolant oil contamination (only visible in res, of course). Engine miss has greatly increased under heavy throttle and cylinder pressures to the point where 80 mph is all she will go. Action time.

Planning on getting a lower mileage used engine and swapping out. On-line shows $500 to $750 range with $200 shipping. Researching to see if that is for the long block only or the entire pulled unit. Feel this is the best path considering the cost and trouble of removing & milling heads. If a head is bad I see $1500 as the parts cost for that alone. Less messy to pull the whole engine/trans than tear down the top. Can then investigate the old one at leisure...

M112 E32 applications listed are:

Do the engines in all these uses have the same brackets, headers, sensor connections, ECUs, oil pans? Is there a cross-reference anywhere? Has anyone else taken this route (other than to pop in a V8)? And WHERE can I buy a workshop manual or CD.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts