Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have an option to purchase an older 320 with around 200K miles on it, from lady friend. Probably $2K miles on it. I will go through it and needs a little interior restoration work. My question is, what would be my biggest concerns at this point, with the age and miles?
I know she said the convertible top had to be on a nearly level surface for it to properly operate.
I'm really not up to dropping a bunch of cash into it. I am an aircraft mechanic for airlines, so I have the ability to do some things, but not really wanting a restoration/maintenance nightmare.
My other options is to drop 38K on a 2016 slk 300 with 2K miles on it. My driving habits do not warrant that price, as to why leaning toward the old 320.
Any insight would be helpful. (and yes I've been sifting through the web for info)
Thank you, DM

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Hi,

2 very extreme end of scale potential purchases there :wink:

If you like the "Old Skool" R170 Roadster as the enthusiasts among us do, why not drop a bit more coin on a Facelift V6 Car with less miles and a solid history with it .....................

I have no idea on USA Prices but I would imagine $5k - 10k would get you a really mint R170 with low miles ;)

IMHO anything with that sort of miles is gonna need a total restoration unless you like constantly working on a Car rather than driving it.

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'm not into this for a hobby. I want something to enjoy off the get-go. I'll look at this car and then decide. Thx to all

·
Registered 1997 SLK230 Kompressor
233 Posts
Im pretty new to MB, but I would guess that issues with the roof on a slope may well be down to hydraulics on the way out, but you would probably know something about that. Changing pump and cylinders isn't exactly cheap but at least it is easily costed and you would do the work well within a weekend. There will no doubt be other "stuff". So far my other major issue was replacing the rear disks because they were really thin and also the rear calipers and brake pipes due to corrosion.
But then I did buy mine (with a similar mileage and from a much worse climate I suspect) to keep myself off the streets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts