Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three weeks ago I went to start my 2002 320. When I turned the key to start it was dead. There was no fuel pump sound and no starter. It was as if the battery was disconnected. All the electrical worked and the battery was fine. An hour later when I went back all was fine. Today while driving the car the engine stopped. I coasted to a stop and had the same indications as before. Turning the key to start had no effect. All electrical was working(dash and headlights, radio, door locks) After about 3 minutes I tried the key and then the car started as normal. Any suggestions would be welcome. Will this intermittent problem show up as an error code?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,520 Posts
How old is the battery?
Did you have the battery tested?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Had the very same issue with mine for over a month now. When I first had the battery tested, it came back good but no charge. Charged it, worked fine for about a week. Then intermittently, it would not crank. Sometimes no sound at all, sometimes the click, click, click. Jump start it and when I would get to the end of the street, it would die. Sometimes it would recrank, but most times, I would have to jump it again. Had battery tested again. Battery=good. Charging systems all working properly. Finally this morning, I just decided to replace the 6 year old battery and see if that corrected the problem since nothing else has presented itself as the issue. Too soon to tell if this has solved my issues or not, but I was unable to find any other sources of the problem.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check the battery again but what does not seem right is I was going about 45 mph when the engine shut down. So the engine was running fine then it was like I turn the key off except I did not lose the radio or any lights. After stopping is when I had the no joy trying to start. Also when I tried to restart the car the headlights did not dim. I would think with a weak battery the lights would go dim when trying to start the engine. After 3 minutes it cranked fast and started and ran as if nothing had happen.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What do the gauges do? Drop to zero, stay where they are? If they do drop to zero check the ignition switch, maybe the crankshaft position sensor. If they don't die might want to look into a fuel pressure issue (pump, filter, ect).

I'm no expert, its just what I found when I looked up this problem on Google.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the inputs. For now I need to wait until the next time it happens to see what happens. Its good to have a list of thing to check when it happens.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I would check the K40 module first off.
No fuel pump or starter motor are prime symptoms IMO.
If you were in Oz I'd send you my repaired unit.:tu:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.