Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am a new member. I will do an introduction soon but want to post for support first.

I bought my 2001 SLK320 with 108,000 KM on Wednesday, January 25. I've been driving it and loving it, but it now has 4 fault codes (!!!)

I bought the car with code P0120 (throttle position sensor), and have plans to replace the accelerator soon. The symptoms are that I put my foot on the gas, nothing happens for a couple seconds, then the car takes off but will not pass 3000 RPM. I reset it and it's been sometimes working and sometimes not. I believe the pedal needs replacing. Am I on the right track?

Today, the car has developed 3 more codes. They don't concern me too much, if I'm honest. I'm a very mechanically inclined person and bought this car as a project. What I am thinking now though, is that these new codes might just be because the car was sitting and now I am driving it.

So the code I knowlingly bought the car with was P0120: Throttle Position Sensor.

The three new codes are: P0135: o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 1

P0150: o2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction bank 2 sensor 1

and a pending code P0410: Secondary Air injection system malfunction

Should I replace the throttle before looking into these other codes? Should I look into these other codes before replacing the throttle? I have the money to pay for all these things, but I don't need to be a part thrower. Is it possible the other codes are related to the original P0120 Code?

Another question: I had some water leaking in the passenger floor, so I was checking my drains and they are all fine. However, I noticed that under the cowl, the space where air enters the cabin has no cover or anything! Is it supposed to be that way? That is how the water is getting in, so maybe the cowl just needs a new rubber seal?

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK320
730 Posts
There is a recent write up about the throttle position sensor here:

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/410345-throttle-position-sensor.html

I had a P0410 code a couple of years ago. It was an intermittent code with increasing frequency over a year or two (every few months to once a week). My problem turned out to be poor soldering joints in the K40 relay. There is a sticky for this.

There are many things that cause a P0410. This fault came up just as I took delivery of my car (second hand). The guy who sold it to me gave me a couple of hundred dollars off the agreed price and said he'd taken it to a reputable indy who told him it was faulty oxygen sensors. It wasn't: it was the K40 relay. K40 treatment is easy and free. If that doesn't fix the problem do a search (on here and Benzworld.com). There is heaps of info on this problem (but don't let it scare you).

Just my experience.

Good luck with it
Tony

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2000 SLK320
210 Posts
I had exactly the same symptoms as you recently with the throttle but the code was P0122, probably related to P0120. New throttle pedal was fitted and all OK.

Don't know about your other codes though, good luck with those.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,464 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (Put Looking!)(year?: 1996-2017, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,223 Posts
I bought the car with code P0120 (throttle position sensor), and have plans to replace the accelerator soon. The symptoms are that I put my foot on the gas, nothing happens for a couple seconds, then the car takes off but will not pass 3000 RPM. I reset it and it's been sometimes working and sometimes not. I believe the pedal needs replacing. Am I on the right track?

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/410345-throttle-position-sensor.html
Hi @bdude273. Have a quick read of my post at least to understand how it all works. From what you say you are on the right track. There are two sensors in the throttle and if the main one fails then the second one gets read, but the throttle is limited by the car which may account for you only getting 3,000 rpm. Try unplugging, cleaning and re-plugging the existing throttle and see if it makes a difference. If you do need a replacement make sure you look for the right part number as the manual pedal does not have the kickdown switch on it so won't work if your car is an automatic. Also, watch the replacement prices. Some breakers are greedy. I found replacements from £30 to over £200 when I looked. New in UK they're about £125.

Good luck sorting this. And while you're tinkering, take a look at the thread @Australian mentioned about the K40. If you're good with a soldering iron and your iron is powerful enough the K40 repair takes around 30-45 mins, so well worth checking out.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hi @bdude273. Have a quick read of my post at least to understand how it all works. From what you say you are on the right track. There are two sensors in the throttle and if the main one fails then the second one gets read, but the throttle is limited by the car which may account for you only getting 3,000 rpm. Try unplugging, cleaning and re-plugging the existing throttle and see if it makes a difference. If you do need a replacement make sure you look for the right part number as the manual pedal does not have the kickdown switch on it so won't work if your car is an automatic. Also, watch the replacement prices. Some breakers are greedy. I found replacements from £30 to over £200 when I looked. New in UK they're about £125.

Good luck sorting this. And while you're tinkering, take a look at the thread @Australian mentioned about the K40. If you're good with a soldering iron and your iron is powerful enough the K40 repair takes around 30-45 mins, so well worth checking out.
HI Savcom, this is the throttle I ordered, but because they're still processing I think tomorrow I'll follow your guide and clean up all the connections. I have a feeling it is connector related because it works sometimes. Is this for an automatic? http://www.autopartsway.ca/partlist.cfm?mercedes~benz/2001/slk320/base/3.2l-v6/allb/body/floor/accelerator-pedal/pagenum1/tabs

Thank you. I will do the K40 DIY soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts

My son, who is the greatest mechanic in the world, repaired my R170 (automatic) with the P0120 code with a used pedal off a stick shift car by replacing the kick down switch from the original pedal. So, it can be done. No flashing needed.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,464 Posts
My son, who is the greatest mechanic in the world, repaired my R170 (automatic) with the P0120 code with a used pedal off a stick shift car by replacing the kick down switch from the original pedal. So, it can be done. No flashing needed.
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

First please update your vehicle (year?: 1996-2017, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
3,223 Posts
Thanks for that Gary. Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my Xperia when my back was turned

·
3,223 Posts
HI Savcom, this is the throttle I ordered, but because they're still processing I think tomorrow I'll follow your guide and clean up all the connections. I have a feeling it is connector related because it works sometimes. Is this for an automatic? AutoPartsWAY.ca Canada 2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK320 Accelerator Pedal in Canada

Thank you. I will do the K40 DIY soon.
At the price of that part I'd definitely do the connectors first! :surprise::surprise: When I asked for a new part from Mercedes I was only quoted £125 ($208 CAN) Clean the contacts with a contact cleaner and/or contact grease and a wooden scraper (toothpick/coffee stirrer) and re-assemble and see if that has done the trick.

It does looks as if the kick-down switch is fitted to that pedal but if not, you should be able to transfer the button from your old pedal if Gary is correct.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,147 Posts
Your codes all seem unrelated except that the ECU controls them all.

There is no cover over the cabin air intake, and yes the rubber gasket will leak rain into the cabin when perished. Also, the foam strip in that area is prone to leakage. I suggest you free the cowl from the windshield and seal it up good if you suspect rain is coming in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.