Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
581 - 600 of 629 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,321 Posts
722.6 Plate never ever needs any programming, cost should be way below £700
Then you definitely have 722.6xx in that car and thus that right there /\ /\ /\ applies ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #584 ·
Ok ordered the Conductor plate 722.6 for my slk.. I also ordered a filter and pan gasket..
When I get that done I'll post how it goes after test drive.
Now.. I picked up another Mercedes from auction.Its not a SLK but a C230 sport.Real nice blk on blk car in great shape.
I know this is the SLK forum.
I did go on the MBworld forums and seemed to get it narrowed down to another Conductor plate problem.722.9 of course.. The one guy Deplore said it was the range sector sensor on plate. It wouldn't even crank over. But all accessories worked.So Deplore said to unplug the electrical to trans and if it starts then it's the range selector sensor. Has anyone here had that problem? I know this isn't the place for it I'm just curious... It had codes but nothing for the range sensor.

·
8,321 Posts
SDS needed unless you fancy some very expensive Labour and Parts Darts :p

7G is not a DIY proposition, advanced DIY'er with good knowledge of / and possession of SDS yes ;)

If @Deplore suspects Range Sensor then that is most likely correct, he does a lot more 7G work than I do ;)

🤣

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,598 Posts
Ok ordered the Conductor plate 722.6 for my slk.. I also ordered a filter and pan gasket..
When I get that done I'll post how it goes after test drive.
(y)

Now.. I picked up another Mercedes from auction. Its not a SLK but a C230 sport. Real nice blk on blk car in great shape.
Two Mercs now and no SDS? :unsure:

SDS needed unless you fancy some very expensive Labour and Parts Darts :p

7G is not a DIY proposition, advanced DIY'er with good knowledge of / and possession of SDS yes ;)

If @Deplore suspects Range Sensor then that is most likely correct, he does a lot more 7G work than I do ;)

🤣
Exactly ^^THIS^^

@Deplore has forgotten more than most of us mere mortals will ever know :p

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
487 Posts
Oh stop, you're making me blush. Continue praising me some more....

:p :p :p

The one guy Deplore said it was the range sector sensor on plate. It wouldn't even crank over. But all accessories worked.So Deplore said to unplug the electrical to trans and if it starts then it's the range selector sensor. Has anyone here had that problem? I know this isn't the place for it I'm just curious...
Oh hey, you're here too.

Like I said, the fact that your car starts immediately without the trans plugged in is proof of that. Unfortunately selector range is built in the conductor plate and repairs to selector range never hold up. Which is why everyone and their grandma who does 722.9 is telling you to replace it.

Now, it's good of you to get a second opinion, you should never trust a single source. But programming a used or new 722.9 conductor plate is beyond most people, even those who have SDS. You need extensive knowledge of vediamo/DTS monoco and the relevant file and coding to even know where to begin, and that's not including the other equipment that can virginize a 722.9 plate in the first place (if you get used).

Also....

It had codes but nothing for the range sensor.
Violet Font Rectangle Handwriting Magenta

That's not what your invoice says. You definitely have codes, just that your scanner doesn't read the transmission codes.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #589 · (Edited)
Yes and I found an Indy as you say that is certified by Mercedes..He told me to get the plate with same part number and he will run a diagnostics ( Codes)with his SDS and then address code on plate for 250.00
Now the place I'm getting the plate from is going to flash it for me. So I'm going to take this valve body and plate out and install virgin and valve body in car that has already been flashed take it to the guy (on my car trailer)who will run diagnostics and then code it.. total cost will be around 500.00
Hopefully that's all I will have to do..
Now to address the SDS ownership. If I get one of these
Will I be able to code my own stuff? Or is it just a scan tool?

·
8,321 Posts
Or is it just a scan tool?
How many times have I told you and a gazillion others on this and other Fora

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
8,321 Posts
Generics only access approximately 4 out of circa 15 computers on R170, and even then, they do not do version Coding, Guided Testing etc etc etc.
Stuff like ICM, PSE, CCM, VR, ATA will not be seen by a generic, and all module access is needed on any Mercedes,
SDS is not just a code / data reader resetter, it is the entire arsenal of software with loads of other processes that the MB Dealership has, plus some real tasty add ons that the dealerships don't have and all are very useful on all MB Vehicles.
There is just 2 from this thread /\ /\ /\ I then got bored by page 18 so not only but also, there is a search function at the top of the page ....

Click this :-

Now you may realise why I get so fed up repeating myself ;)

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #593 ·
Off topic a bit.. On the 722.9 conductor plate. The one I found is flashed and the company says the can code it to my vin# and that when I get the plate and install it all I need to do is adaptions and learning...
Does this sound correct??
Never heard of adaptions..

·
8,321 Posts
Never heard of adaptions..
That's yet another reason why you need SDS !!

Adaptations everywhere on an MB, the newer the Car the more there are.

·
8,321 Posts
It might be the Shifter, or it's adjustment with Trans via the rod, but if it was I would imagine the Trans would be in limp (hard and thumpy and only 2nd Cog), due to a "Shifter Implausible" Code.

I do believe that it is the TCU that sends the P,R,N,D,4,3,2,1 info to Cluster via the Powertrain CAN ;)

That is why I get P,R,N,D,6,5,4,3,2,1 with 7G Tronic Trans, using a stock 722.6 (5 speed auto) Shifter ;)

One Dave "pants rubbish" video coming up ....

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #599 ·
Ok so on my slk320
The tires were rotated I noticed by previous owner and this car has smaller tires on front than back.( Factory) He rotated them in a weird way I have on front Drvr side the small and on passenger side front the big
Same in back.
Would this throw off abs esp bas? Cause a light on dash?

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK320
2,103 Posts
What do you mean by smaller? SLKs are designed to have wider tyres at the rear than at the front, but the overall diameter of all four tyres must be the same. If you have different diameter tyres it could bring up the warning light. From memory, I have seen a figure of around 4% mentioned as the difference the car will tolerate, but that's just from memory. Your drivers handbook will show tyre sizes.

Standard tyre size: Front, 205/55 R 16 91 W. Rear, 225/50 R 16 92 W

581 - 600 of 629 Posts