Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
541 - 560 of 581 Posts

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #542 ·
Nope didn't give up 👍 but it was a beach lol
May be more chewed wires but if so I can't see them unless I tear the whole dash apart
I really don't want that..
The car will drive fine and shift little hard and I noticed When I came back from a 5 mile drive the trans fluid (car running in park) was down on stick and took 1.5 quarts. I replaced the computer plug on pan.I think that is why I would drive and once in a while it would go into limo mode. I'd pull over and restart car to get it to shift again. I'll take it on longer drive today and see how it does with proper amount of tranny fluid
What a journey this has been..
Thanks to all your guys help.. made it possible..🍻 Cheers!

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #543 ·
Ok I don't get it? I drove car today and no check engine light the trans is topped off to where it should be. And if I leave car in drive when starting out. It shifts fine up to 5 the gear! Indicator on dash showed 1 2 3 4 then D after about 2 miles it just down shifted and went into limo mode. I pulled over and shut off car removed key waited 30 seconds started car up and took off in drive it started in first gear and I used the manual shifting and car went through gears as I did the + each time and when Got to 5th it cruised ok.
I don't know if it is staying in 5th but when I cruise at 55 mph it is tacking at 2k
As long as I shift car manually up and down it doesn't go into limp mode.
When I topped off transmission before I used Valvoline ATF says on back for Mercedes

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
289 Posts
@SlickgoingSLK have a read here.

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,099 Posts
Everything is just guesswork, get the damned thing on SDS, clear absolutely every module out first.

Now go for several drives, let it go into limp at least a couple of times, then re read to see what has come back, there are sooooo many faults that can pop an Auto Trans into limp mode, anything else is just guesswork and wasted time / wasted parts money ;)

·
8,099 Posts
BTW, R170 Shifter is totally unlike any other including R171, it doesn't use Optogates, do not ask me how I know that ;)

Just like most things electronic on an R170 it's electronics and wiring are a hotch potch cobbled together by MB from earlier Models such as W208 CLK, W202 C etc etc.

That is what makes things like V8 conversions so difficult, and then up in the exponentially more difficult mega league and yet to be fully cracked is the 7G Tronic Trans Conversion that I'm currently working on ;)

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #551 ·
I'm thinking I may just sell the car and get over it. It is shifting ok but once in a while it hits limp mode.. drove it 50 miles yesterday and it was good so
Whatever it is I don't know..

·
8,099 Posts
drive it to a mechanic with an SDS. You cant fight an invisible enemy.
/\ /\ /\ Exactly this !! Very likely a simple fault, but if you just keep guessing you may never fix it !!

If you had bought SDS back when I advised you the Car would be faultless now, and even if you decided to sell the Car and never buy another MB again, you could sell the SDS for what you paid for it if not a bit more, because a demonstrated working system commands a premium !!

·
8,099 Posts
Rubbish.

There is no cheap out on Mercedes, nor any other vehicles for that matter ;)

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #558 ·
Ok that's what I needed to know.
I found a Euro works auto shop that deals in European cars and experts on Mercedes. They said they will do the diagnostic on it for 150.00
They will give me print out on any issues.. so I'm going to take car there and see what's going on with it.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
289 Posts
What about a icarsoft MB 2 scanner for Mercedes?
I have one. It can talk to the transmission. It helped me fix a problem once. After knowing what SDS can do, I wish I added 400 or more so to the 150usd I paid and I would have gotten myself an SDS.
I really think you need an SDS. There is still some module(s) in your car that is not getting CAN data (you still have unconnected CAN wires). Is your vario roof working?
If you cant get an SDS, now that you can reliably drive the car, I really suggest just drive it to someone who has one.

·
8,099 Posts
BSY is correct, it can access the Transmission, but does not see all Codes or all Data, only a small percentage, plus absolutely no Guided Testing, Component Locations, Repair Forecasts etc etc .................

Also a fault in some of the other systems, which it can't access, can cause issues in Transmission and others because many ECU's, (approx 13 on R170) all talk with each other .................

Hairstyle Eyebrow Smile Gesture Font

Without going back and reviewing the various Posts, Chapters and Verses, in this very thread alone I have said around 17 times to get SDS or find someone who has it !!

This issue could possibly have been resolved 500 posts and 27 pages ago ;)

541 - 560 of 581 Posts