Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
501 - 520 of 534 Posts

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #501 ·
You don't need to check it out, just buy the bloomin' thing !!

Better still go for C4 Multiplexer with full lead set, buy a laptop and get @i860 to sort the software for you.
If you go that route and shop around for Multiplexer (MUX) and Leads on Ali Express you may well end up around same price or a little cheaper, particularly if you have a suitable Laptop gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere, again take @i860 advice on laptop !!

If you buy and try to use anything that is not SDS then just don't bother wasting your money, it would be better to consult this geezer ....

If you want to work efficiently on a Mercedes ...............

View attachment 613070
If it's good enough for Judge Judy .
Then it's good for me😁

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #502 ·
Ok so got it..I'll go on internet and see about these..C4 multiplexer is a bit Pricey.
Still dealing with the abs Bas esp issue. I don't understand why if there is something else wrong with a mod it's not tripping the check engine light

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
7,883 Posts
The only thing that will put the CEL on is a fault within the Engine System..

The BAS / ESP / ABS Lights are on, they are the lights that come on when there is a fault in that system.

Similarly if you had a fault in the Airbag System then you would get SRS Light on !!

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #504 ·
One thing.. Let me know if this is wrong?
I read somewhere.Cant remember if it was on SLK world or somewhere else.
The ABS ESP BAS light even if it's fixed you can't erase the light unless you have a scanner that has that Program..Taki g battery cable off won't do it?

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #505 ·
Oh that reminds me..
Looks to me that the hood and one fender was replaced on this car. The reason I say that is the hood and drivers fender look to have been red at some point!
I remember posting on some point
The SRS above check enge light was on..
Those can wires I soldered up behind AC evap must have been for a mod..
Looks like they went to CCM

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #506 · (Edited)
Ok update: I found a big wht or gray wire running under K40 box under battery tray not in loom runs by itself can't tell where it comes from?
It looks like a 10 or 12 awg wire that was chewed.. I untaped and checked main harness it's ok
Road surface Asphalt Tints and shades Natural material Grass

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
223 Posts
i fixed my steering column sometime ago. I removed the airbag. I turned the ignition on forgetting to replug the airbag and the SRS lit up. My el cheapo OBD cant reset or even read the error. Removing battery doesn’t erase anything Its an R171. I had to buy a new scanner. iCarsoft. About 150usd. It can read a few more modules aside from the ecu. It helped me fix a few more problems with the car later on. But now I think I should have gotten an SDS. Your scanner probably cant talk to the bas/esp module to tell you what is wrong with it.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #509 ·
It says that it can but it doesn't
It can read any normal engine code
But not SRS or the dreaded ABS ESP BAS..
It did erase the 5 engine codes I had and since I fixed all those wires in foot well they haven't came back.
It does to live data and freeze frame.
I think this car was hit in front due to under paint it's a red hood and fender.
That probably why the SRS is on..

·
7,883 Posts
It can read any normal engine code
It can't read anywhere near all Engine Codes ;) .............. Only a maximum of 80% on the best OBD stuff like Snap - On, Autel Pro etc (circa £4500 GBP), but, most OBD stuff more likely 20% of all possible codes.

ABS / ESP / BAS doesn't usually need a code reset once issue is fixed, does need steering lock to lock and sometimes a few yards drive to register wheel speeds ............. It is SRS that pulls that must be reset wild card ;)

BATTERY DISCONNECT HARDLY EVER RESETS FAULT CODES !!

BATTERY DISCONNECT USUALLY CAUSES MORE GRIEF THAN GOOD !!

ANY CAR SHOULD BE PUT TO SLEEP BY VARYING METHODS BEFORE JUST JUMPING IN AND YANKING OFF BATTERY TERMINALS AND NOT MANY FOLKS KNOW THAT !!

·
7,883 Posts
C4 multiplexer is a bit Pricey.
Option 1 £377.50 GBP

I don't see how that /\ /\ /\ is expensive it's only around £120 dearer than the likes of an iCs which is pretty useless on R170.

All else that's needed is Software and decent used Laptop ;)

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
223 Posts
Option 1 £377.50 GBP

I don't see how that /\ /\ /\ is expensive it's only around £120 dearer than the likes of an iCs which is pretty useless on R170.

Where do you get the software if we just buy the muliplexer?

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,423 Posts
Option 1 £377.50 GBP

^This^ is why I said that that 600 quid C3 is way overpriced, especially as you're tied-in to what are now ancient lappys on XP

·
7,883 Posts
Where do you get the software if we just buy the muliplexer?
I linked the man earlier in this thread, @i860 is the guy to help you there, shoot him a pm, I can promise you he is the best person to advise etc ..............................

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #515 ·
If can't find a good used SDS a d have to go new I'll do the multiplexer..or new SDS
Ok going back to post 506 507
What could this vacuum line go to?
Any ideas? Looks like it goes under battery tray..
I just plugged it for now..

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #519 ·
I've been looking for other end and no luck..It runs along the loom that goes under K40 box and is cut right under battery tray
I'll have to keep diving to see where it goes.

·
7,883 Posts
White pipe goes from throttle body to inside Car yes, it feeds Cabin Vent and headlamp adjuster wheel, then from adjuster wheel is the purple one which goes from adjuster wheel to headlamps ;)

501 - 520 of 534 Posts