Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I hope everyone is doing well. I was driving and smelled a burning odor so I looked under the hood and saw some oil dripping onto the transmission. I'm not sure the source of the leak, but I have an idea its from the valve cover or engine seal gasket. If anybody would have an idea from where the car is leaking from let me know. I have also attached a picture.

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,378 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (Put Looking!)(year?: 1996-2018, model?: 32, 43, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

On a smartphone: http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/330737-how-update-your-profile-post-intro-smartphone.html

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
559 Posts
It would be odd if an oil leak onto the trans would cause a burning smell. Might be something else going on here. As for the leak in the picture, it does look like a valve cover gasket. You could try cleaning the area (brake cleaner) and then tightening the Valve cover. Remember to do this from the center working outwards and don't over torque. If that doesn't fix it, you'll have to replace the VC gasket.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,584 Posts
Hello I hope everyone is doing well. I was driving and smelled a burning odor so I looked under the hood and saw some oil dripping onto the transmission. I'm not sure the source of the leak, but I have an idea its from the valve cover or engine seal gasket. If anybody would have an idea from where the car is leaking from let me know. I have also attached a picture.

Hi and Welcome from South West Florida, hope you get your oil leak resolved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you I'll clean it up and post an update. The smell isn't strong I'd have to open the hood to be able to really notice it.

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
182 Posts
Thank you I'll clean it up and post an update. The smell isn't strong I'd have to open the hood to be able to really notice it.
Sounds like it's the valve cover gasket. Not sure how long you've owned your car, but you might want to remove the red cover and inspect the spark plug wells to see if there is oil around the spark plugs. I had to replace all 4 spark plug seals in the valve cover when I replaced the valve cover gasket.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.