Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a returning member who only ever posted once before I think, a long time ago!

I have owned my car now for maybe 7 years, and still love it just as much as the day I bought it.

But all of a sudden the rust seems to have caught up with me, and I decided I need to do something about it to keep my treasured car looking nice for as long as possible. I have taken it to a few body shops and been given wildly varying quotes and recommendations.

I have a bodyshop that is keen to work on it for me. His suggestion was to cut out the rusted metal on the back wheel arches and weld a repair panel in its place, which apparently is straightforward. However, the supplier that he uses for repair panels does not make one for my car 😕. Does anyone know of a UK supplier of SLK repair panels please???

I will probably replace the front wings with new as the cost is not too bad (quoted £200 each by MB last week), but the back wings are £520 each !!!

I would be grateful for any help or advice.

Thanks, Katie

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,118 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
94,118 Posts
post your vin, get free datacard
specify exactly what part(s) you need, we get you the part number
then you can go to mb or a breaker yard or order it online.
paint
you are done

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help, but sadly I don't know what parts I need!

I've just repeated here what the guy at the bodyshop told me about the wheel arches, and am looking for advice really.

What is a data card ?

·
94,118 Posts
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

What's a datacard?
It is the 'window or windshield' sticker that comes on new vehicles (USA models)(All countries can get them here). It shows the option codes and the name of the options included in/on the car when purchased.
Look at the other members datacards to get an idea of what I mean.
Here is a sample of a SLK 320 and a SLK 55 AMG datacard. See attached.
The more options your car has, the longer your datacard will be!
Early model R170s (1996-2000) have very little data in their datacards and some of the info might be erroneous like saying you have a 'DARK BLUE SOFT TOP FABRIC 5010' which we know is wrong
We can get you your R170,R171,or R172 datatcard, in English.

·
94,118 Posts
That sounds good, thank you for your help.

Just one more thing ... where would I find the VIN number please?

Thanks!
It is all in that thread link in my post above yours! :D :D
Feel free to click on it :D :D

Where to find your vin number?
Insurance paperwork, bill of sale.
On vehicle, bottom of windshield, trunk/boot lid near rear windshield, bottom of rear bumper, door plate.

·
94,118 Posts
some idea of parts. you can take a picture of what you need and upload to us
like part 8 in this pic

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,254 Posts
Hi Katie, and welcome back from the UK Midlands! :)

That sounds good, thank you for your help.

Just one more thing ... where would I find the VIN number please?

Thanks!
It is all in that thread link in my post above yours! :D :D
Feel free to click on it :D :D

Where to find your vin number?
Insurance paperwork, bill of sale.
On vehicle, bottom of windshield, trunk/boot lid near rear windshield, bottom of rear bumper, door plate.
For UK members, the VIN is also shown on the V5C document, that shows details of the car and the registered keeper (some people call it the 'log book'). :D

·
Premium Member
11,306 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

2010 ? Where have you been, you've missed out of a lot of fun & info. It's still here and Jbanks15 has pointed you in the right direction give him your VIN number so that will help you out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts