Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I have just joined this forum and just recently bought a 2000 SLK 230K.

I am still learning about the vehicle, but have noticed that when you put your foot down ( to the floor) when in 1st gear and sometimes when in 2nd gear, the car seems to lag/hesitate and you have to release the throttle and press more gently to pick up speed

This does not happen when in the later gears. The car is automatic.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Dan

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,199 Posts
Dan, going to move your question to the new members introduce yourself section to save you a step, ok?

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff

will take a look through other posts, but if anyone has an answer to my question, please let me know

Thanks

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hmmm... Wait till some other experts jump in.
My 1st thought would be the MAF sensor. I'd try cleaning it first and see if it makes any changes.

·
98,199 Posts

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,920 Posts
A warm welcome from Southern Arizona. Good to have you on board. I'm not familiar with the R170, however, my understanding of the the S and C mode on the R171 is that when in the C mode the vehicle starts off in 2nd gear and has lower shift points. More throttle causes it to downshift into 1st giving you more giddy up and go. Enjoy the people, the forum, and top down cruisin'.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
What? Jayson I thought you were an expert!!!

Well this 'expert' (i stayed at a holiday inn express once), says

Techron!!!

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/10172-fuel-additives-engine-tick-knock-sluggishness-hesitation.html
I hadn't come up with this problem so I don't know the exact answer.
But how could I forget about Techron?! Definitely add a bottle in your tank!
In my assumption it can be lack of air in the system, I'd check all the vacuum lines - condition/leaks, etc.
And btw, do you drive in W or S mode???

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,945 Posts
Welcome and thanks for joining.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
15,351 Posts
Hi, welcome from the North of Scotland. Congratulations on your recently purchased SLK. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
A quick easy first check. Check the air connections to the supercharger. After I DIY'd my Air Filter I failed to secure the connections and there were air leaks. The supercharger failed to deliver extra power.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,237 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome from NE England. Congratulations on your SLK.

Woolly - Founder & Super Moderator.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,527 Posts
Welcome aboard,
There is a toggle switch to the left of the gearshift, it should be in "S" summer mode not "W" winter mode.
How well does it accelerate when you have it in "D" & put your foot down?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi to all!

Leapyfish, when i put my foot down in 'D' that is where the lag/stutter happens. When I press the accelerator down, rather than flooring it quickly, but flooring it slowly (if that makes sense) it seems fine

I have contacted a mechanic, who without seeing the car thinks it might be the airmass sensor

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thought I would give an update

Wednesday evening I went through the 'accelerator reset' procedure I found on the forum. This is where you turn the key 2 positions, put accelerator to floor for 30 seconds, remove key, release throttle and then start. From what I read this is supposed to reset something which stores driving habits.

The problem though still persisted around the 4k rev mark, so after speaking to a mechanic who thought it sounded like the MAF sensor, he was going to come out today to look.

However, today when driving to work the problem seems to have disappeared! Several times when driving slowly, I floored the accelerator to test and on each occasion the car behaved correctly going past 4k revs until it naturally changed. It also behaved at normal cruising speed and then accelerating hard (past 4k revs)

Could this reset I did have worked or will I likely still have the problem again?

·
98,199 Posts
you will need to occasionally do the reset. I do it whenever I feel it needs to be 'rejuvenated'!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts