Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not really even sure where to start with this one - I am not sure if this is a battery, power, fuse, relay or what issue.
About a week ago I was working on repainting the rear pillar of my SLK230 - I had to leave the top in a 1/2 open 1/2 closed config to mask and paint the part. After doing the primer, paint and clearcoat I went to put the top up and it did not work right - I followed the directions to manually put the top up, and then it seemed to get back into synch, however, while I was fiddling with it trying to get it to go up (without the power on, just the battery) the car made a "click" noise and all the power went out. No lights, no remote, nothing. I figured a fuse blew so I visually checked each one (all looked good). I checked the battery terminals and wiggled the ground cable - it sort of sizzled? I poked it with a stick again and it did not sizzle, so I closed up the hood. Car started right up.

Fast forward to today, and it did it again to my wife. I told her to open the hood, wiggle the negative terminal (which has a good tight connection, I don't see corrosion). She did it and it worked fine.

Then I drove to work, parked it, and noticed it is dead again (door locks not working).

So it seems that either opening the hood or wiggling the battery cable fixes it briefly. I would think a corroded post, but I checked it and it seemed fine.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,295 Posts
How old is the battery or did I miss that part?
Have you had the battery tested?
This is a know issue when leaving the roof up for any amount of time
Bet the farm it is time for a new battery unless u know it is new
The SLK needs a great battery, not a good battery.
You might have bad cell or cells which is why it is hit or miss when starting

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old is the battery or did I miss that part?
Have you had the battery tested?
This is a know issue when leaving the roof up for any amount of time
Bet the farm it is time for a new battery unless u know it is new
The SLK needs a great battery, not a good battery.
You might have bad cell or cells which is why it is hit or miss when starting
I will get it tested tonight. Strange, there are zero lights at all that come on when this happens, then wiggle the wire and poof - it's like normal.

·
105,295 Posts
bad terminal. dirty rusty terminal. bad cable. bad ground. get them all tested at the same time

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Battery tested out ok - I took the cable off the terminal, scrubbed it, tightened it back on. I am pretty sure that was the source of the problem - looked like it had some waxy tar stuff all over it. No idea what the previous owner put on there.
Thanks all!

·
105,295 Posts
might be old vaseline which is used to prevent corrosion

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.